Lightweight video editor?

OK so, my “messing around” pc is a potato still but it’s enough for me to start some recording. I’ve been thinking about doing some videos of one of my hobbies and also recording more in boundless.

I’ve made it this far without a MSN account ever - windows tried to get me to use some free tool but again something with a microsoft account required :imp:

Do any of you guys have a recommendation for a relatively simple tool that would allow me to do some very basic editing, mostly just able to cut and maybe merge some footage?

I think Obs have some basics, else there are Openshot https://www.openshot.org/
Both open source and free.

Good luck.

OK thanks, ill check them out.

I looked around osme more today, I found some things that are just “Video cut and join” tools. That’s basically all I need, or should use right now with 4GB of RAM I think.

When I find an article titled “top X lightweight video editors” and it starts with Adobe Premier Pro as number !, I fell like i’m getting played :rofl:

There’s a lot of that but also some of the freeware is scary.

1 Like

Is there not a very basic one in windows, called Moviemaker (i think…) ?

1 Like

Windows is trying to get people into clipchamp. Maybe it’s good but I’m so tired of windows endlessly trying to shove me into an MSN account.

I accessed my work site a couple months ago and somehow they triggered a loader/installer for “Teams” and it’s endlessly starting itself begging me to log in again.

I’m tired of it and while some of their stuff is fine I’m not happy to give them a name and have them track literally everything I do on my PCs with it. I’ve never had a personal msn account and each time they try and force it I work harder to avoid it. It’s a shame because if it was more optional with their ecosystem I would have relented long ago. Instead it feels sneaky.

I read that clipchamp was a good tool when they bought it but yeah.

Just silly but there it is. I’ll have a look and see if the old utility is still tucked into the OS. If I can find something that does the simple job (cut and join) and maybe even with “portable” version/executable it will do fine.

EDIT: I think it was when I bought my first Win10 PC and it tried to not let me use the PC I bought without internet already and logging into MSN I pretty much said “No I’m not doing this”.

There’s always an out so far, but they make it harder each time.

1 Like

I know, i said up my msn-account several years ago when i read thru the contract for using their stuffs.

Last year i bought a new phone, transferred some mp3-files to it and a prompt come up and said i have to load down their music player, with a contract where i promised that everything stored on my phone was theirs.
I newer used it…

1 Like

I’m a bit late, but Blender (free, open source) now has a video editor. pretty decent one too, not just basic stuff

I’ll be back to this soon, and I’ll check them out. I Put actual blender on my older box though and it can barely start the app :rofl:

Optimally I’m looking for something to cut and splice primarily on disk - though I haven’t seen anything like that in a long time.