Looking for Feedback: Dual Wielding Control Scheme

I personally prefer to press a key [Hold] and use my mousewheel to switch my tool within the respective hand. I.e.

Q or CTRL + Mousewheel = left hand switch
E or alt + Mousewheel = right hand switch

Why do I not prefer toggling left hand or right hand on by pressing q shortly?
I already see myself in a stressful situation like being surprised by a monster / or falling into the depths somewhere and not knowing what is toggled on, pressing panically and too fast q, switch all the time in the wrong hands so I donā€™t find the right tools and dieā€¦ because I reacted wrong haha

So also
Q or Ctrl + Number = selecting a preset item depending on the position wielding control left
E or Alt + Number = selecting a preset item depending on the position wielding control right

would be more intuitive for me to react faster.

I think using just the mousewheel to switch both hands will anyway lead to often to wrong tool sets, so Iā€™ll probably not use that way. By default might be better to use the mousewheel for one hand I guess.

4 Likes

Exactly as I just planned to write! :smiley: ā€¦

Q/E for Left/right and ā€œInteractā€ on F or R ā€¦ that would make things way easier for me and way more intuitive :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So many differences in opinion on this. Thankfully we have rebindable keys. :smiley:

It would be interesting to know more thoughts and opinions on this. It is still torn between both hands or one hand by default.

1 Like

This raises another point. Should you have access to both hands by default or should it be earned?

4 Likes

Oooooh, I like the idea of earning it!
That would allow players to be introduced to the complex system (the alt+scroll system, etc.) at a time when they are not being swamped by learning new game mechanics.

2 Likes

Stealing. Can you remove this poll to avoid confusion please? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Earning it sounds like an awesome idea.
But how would you justify the fact that your character is incapable of using both his hands right away?
And what would happen to the lightcube you start with if your 2nd hand isnā€™t accessible right away?

Maybe it would be better (and more intuitive) if, instead of ā€œunlockingā€ your second hand, youā€™d unlock new slots in the quickbar?

So you start with 1 slot in your left hand and ~3 slots in your right hand and as you progress you unlock more slots in each hand (basically enabling dual wielding)

Sorry, didnā€™t see that you edited your first post.

3 Likes

It is weird when compared against other RPGs where you can have the inventory open and still move. I believe the original reason behind is so you can see what your character looks. I will do some digging and see if there is more to it than that.

3 Likes

TBH i couldnā€™t care less how my char looks especially now where every armor / skin / race is only ā€œvisualā€ (at least thatā€™s the newest info i know).

This would be great :+1: Maybe as ā€œadvanced settingā€. I think it would be ā€œhardā€ for console gamers to have it open while moving but on a PC itā€™s easy to handle.

3 Likes

Letā€™s try to keep this topic on topic :stuck_out_tongue:

But before we do that, I do like the idea of encouraging players to look different and choose the appearance that they think looks cool and not to use the same items as everyone else because thatā€™s what the META says?

I do find it annoying when you get to max level in an MMORPG and everyone has the same gear as you.

1 Like

#^This
Canā€™t wait to see dozens of naked people raiding a titan :smile:

In most of the ā€œclassicā€ RPGs you have a predetermined armor / skin pallets for different professions. I just like it that iā€™m able to see what ā€œprofessionā€ / ā€œskill orientationā€ someone uses by looking at the armor. E.g. a wizzard has wide cloth tunics while a ā€œdeath mageā€ has a ā€œgreen / darkā€ (maybe decal colors are changable) armor set. This has been discussed on other places a lot and it seems that ā€œmostā€ of the players like the current concept so i got that going for me ā€¦ but itā€™s still not my favorite.

E.g. GW2 has the same system you currenty plan for B< and nearly everyone shows ā€œmax level itemā€ skins (legendary weapons) if they got one. For me there is only a small difference from ā€œeveryone using the same itemā€. Even most of the armor combinations look the same because there are ā€œsetsā€ that are prefered (either they are worthy, cool just or ā€œshiningā€).

This is correct. Therefore iā€™d suggest / prefer a ā€œwideā€ color and skin pallet for endgame skins but also a ā€œpredeterminedā€. I canā€™t really belive that ā€œcottonā€ is a good ā€œtank gearā€ ā€¦ this always reminds me on this (55HP tank monk from GW1 - and yes, this was one of the most seen skins for monks).

[Itā€™s hard to see but this is only a ā€œtattooā€.]

As discussed a lot before ā€¦ If all ā€œskinsā€ are only visual you canā€™t avoid that min/maxer (iā€™m one of them) donā€™t waste time and just ā€œskipā€ the skins ā€¦ SRSLY donā€™t know why i should waste only 1 hour for something that adds nothing to my stats or professions.

:+1:

1 Like

The current thinking is that this is shown by the tool you are holding so in a battle you can swap to different weapons and change your profession which makes it very dynamic and more free flowing. The old fashioned white cloaked mage is different because you lock into that and never change unless you re-roll your job. This is something we want to avoid.

The clothing value issue is something to consider. I have a very simple solution to it which means we still have clothing with no stats but you need them in order to be worthwhile. Iā€™d like to run it by the team first and see what the feedback is before everyone thinks this is actually something we are doing.

Unfortunatly this is something i (we) can not evaluate because of missing information so far (this would be an interesting devlog BTW). It sounds like a well thought idea but my first concern is the visibility of your role during a fight. Are all your fellow able to see what profession you are in heat of the moment of the fight if itā€™s only stated by the weapon skin ?

So you mean you can have ā€œmax-statā€ items (stat items) but as long as you donā€™t own clothes they have ā€œzero statsā€ for you ? Now it sounds nearly ā€œexactlyā€ like the GW2 concept => you need to wear armor but only for the stats - the visual does not define anything.

Nah that sounds limiting to players at the start of the game who might not have clothes. Again, this isnā€™t something we are doing. I am just talking out loud which might get me into trouble. :stuck_out_tongue:

Back to the original topic!

1 Like

Yeah, I also see this happen in Boundless.
Whatever will be the last/hardest set to unlock will be worn by like 99% of the players anyway (as seen in Guildwars)
So I think adding stats (stone gives hp, wood stamina, etc.) would in fact ensure more variety within the player choices.
Especially because something like this

Is planed anyway as the devs stated that they plan that everything you craft will carry over the colour palette of the materials used. So even if there was a ā€œbestā€ set players would still be able to craft it in different tints.

Sorry to drift further into off-topic but does that mean that there are no combat related roles as anyone can switch his role with a turn of his mouse wheel?
I didnā€™t expect much depth from a combat system that only features 2 weapons (+mods) but this sounds quite flat to me.

My apologies, maybe a topic-split would be appropriate? @leaders

2 Likes

I think having the mousewheel change primary, and [button] + mousewheel change secondary is the most elegant and easy to understand control setup. Having the mousewheel change both and buttons for primary and secondary is fine as an option, but for new players it would be confusing and unnecessary.

Well, Iā€™ve mixed feelings about ā€œbothā€ or ā€œprimaryā€ approaches. So I made a personal comparison table with some points discussed.

*This point might be very subjective.

Iā€™ll talk about the most controversial point, which concerns to the first hour gameplay. As a new player, my experience with dual wielding was more like as ā€œsupportiveā€ than ā€œgrouppingā€ style/mode. This is because I had very few and basic tools to require any combinations or groups of these, besides I didnā€™t find me in situations of need it. On the other hand, I found it more practical to set a fixed tool on my off hand (like lightcube, torch, etc.) and swap tools (like axe, hammer, etc.) on my primary.

Either switch both hands or switch primary hand could be by default and new players getting familiar with the controls. But if I look back to my table and experience, and see the differences between them, I think the ā€œsupportiveā€ mode has more to do with the progression of the player in the early game than groupping tools. First player experience may not need the complexity of managing both hands and It can also be odd to the player both hands switch by default imo.

TL;DR - Regarding Dual Wielding Controls - Keyboard v0.2 maybe you could add a button to switch between ā€œSupportiveā€ mode and ā€œGrouppingā€ mode.

Keep the feedback coming people! I think we are getting close to a consensus. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Why exactly do you need LMB and RMB? I mean youā€™re selecting something anyway in a menu where you canā€™t do anything else. Woudnā€™t it make sense to just do both things with LMB?
(Maybe I donā€™t quite get how the system should work but it seems to make more sense that way.)

I know we can rebind keys. But can we also rebind key combinations to single keys and vice versa?
For example switching from:

Mouse Wheel = Switches items in both hands
Mouse Wheel + Ctrl (Hold) = Switches the item in your left hand
Mouse Wheel + Alt (Hold) = Switches the item in your right hand

to:

Mouse Wheel + Ctrl (Hold) = Switches items in both hands
Mouse Wheel = Switches the item in your left hand
Mouse Wheel + Alt (Hold) = Switches the item in your right hand

If thatā€™s also supported then I have no problems with those controls so far^^
(Obviously it would need testing in different situations but in theorie it looks good.)

About what Iā€™d use from those options.

• If Iā€™m just standing around with friends without immediate danger, probably the radial menu. Just because Iā€™m a very visual person.

• If it has to go fast, most likely the mouse wheel and maybe the number keys from 1-3. Everything above that is just unpractical for me. Unless I bind it to my additional mouse buttons, but not everyone has this possibility
    (Unless I get a third hand [including arm and probably shoulder] so I can move, aim and press the keys 3-9 at the same time xD)
    This is also the reason why I dislike games with to many skills where you have to press the number keys or abandon your aim to klick them.

2 Likes