Looking for inspiration for a town built into large cliffs

Hi all-

Deen Wispa here. I own a small town called Sheriff on Bitula which I founded a few weeks ago. It will be home to the Bitula Rangers. I chose Bitula not just because it’s a T3 planet but because it ain’t pink like Lamblis or Cephonix! But seriously, as soon as I saw this view from the top of a large cliff, I knew I had to make this home, excessive Cuttletrunks and all. In addition, the blue hues and abundance of lakes nearby is a total winner.

I need your help for inspiration. Here’s a bit of my vision so you can chime in with some feedback.

Problems I have:

• I can lack imagination hence the reason I never played a game like Minecraft
  • How to best scale the town. I really don’t want some huge massive settlement for ego boost nor do I wish to annex other settlements nearby. There are few that pose a threat anyway as it’s a very rural area.
  • What materials do you think are best suited for this?
  • Do you have screenshots of medieval settlements that you like that would resemble what I envision?

I want to have a thematic build that focuses on these elements:

• Take advantage of the altitude and build vertically. I dislike the horizontal sprawl that occurs with most settlements and would rather build vertically. Especially given that travelers, far and wide, will be able to see the towering castles
  • Sheriff will be medieval and will be a castle.
  • It will bridge both sides of the large canyon. So the bridge should play a functional role into the design.
  • It should encourage people to build into the cliffs. Note that it’s not an underground city. But just that plots are built into the cliff and they will protrude so that you can see them. They’ll probably need to be at least 1 plot that sticks out from the ground for aesthetic purposes
  • What functional (or aesthetic) elements would you like to see built into the settlement?
  • Colors are focused on Purple and Green (mint/turqoise) with Purple being the predominant color.

images of what I’ve found for inspiration:

From the movie, After Earth. I love how the homes are built into the cliffs here;

On a side note, I will be launching my own small guild soon and looking for US TZ players (PC). Benefits includes tight collaboration by encouraging players to specialize, meteor hunting parties, specialized shop stands, and voicecomms. PM if interested in more details or reach me on offcial Boundless Discord or “Deen Wispa#4079”

I also like to build on cliffs and mountains. Here is my base on Delta Cancret. In YE OLDE DAYS when the game was in development i also had a base on a tablemountain on Therka (REMEMBER THERKA). I always like to build high and dry. Never been a guy for the low places and the cities.

I am both amazed and impressed with your planning and research. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Here’s a minecraft build I did.

4 Likes

@dwispa interior or exterior?,i ask as im playing dragon quest 11 at mo and there’s this town called octagonia and its like a mini octagon shaped castle outside but when you step inside it has a whole town in there.

I’ll take either @Valkirth

Thanks @georgegroeg. That’s kinda what I’m going for. But I’m sooooo behind on everything.

I’ll update my progress when I get a chance

1 Like

Cool what’s the planet and location? Maybe I’ll come check it out. Me and a friend have an island we’re building a castle on.

maybe these will help,first pic has a whole town that is under it and the 2nd pic has the building running inside the mountain.

2 Likes

The Lost City of Petra

1 Like

https://www.mt-oceanography.info/science+society/lectures/illustrations/lecture18/anasazi1.jpg

Cliff Palace< abandoned by the Anasazi around 1200CE

some fantasy art

Constantine, Algeria

another fantasy drawing

another one

and another one

https://www.bellevue-boppard.de/media/de7baf16-ef27-4bcc-b68a-0c776c3fcee1/festung-ehrenbreitstein.jpg?mw=1200
Fortress Ehrenbreitstein in Koblenz on the “German Corner” where Mosel meets the Rhine in night lighting (its not a huge shadow, its the bridge-street up to the castle before the Cliff)

2 Likes

cough cough

If you ever feel down to merge settlements and help us with what we’ve already started feel free to hit me up :smiley: