Machine Rework Adjustments

I think everyone here can say they are glad of some of the major overhaul that was done with machines. I know there a few things that were very needed and the rework helped to fix them… especially things like being able to place machines right beside each other and the filters.

But I think there have been more than a few complaints on some of the way things were implemented and many people were asking for adjustments to be made. To help solve this and maybe get the changes done very quickly instead of months from now, I hoped we all could add our ideas to this thread so that the developers have an easy way of seeing the problems.

I will start my list and hope people can just add stuff that they would like to see.

1. I would prefer to have Contents to show by default over Recipes. This is because you end up just having to switch to it anyway to place in the items you wish to use for the recipe. So it just adds more steps than needed. I understand this was done because you think things can be pulled from the backpack, but there are many that don’t like that.

2. Filters need to either have the option for us to select the default one we use or something else. It just isn’t that helpful to see tons of items you can craft when you just want to do one thing.

3. The ability to pull from the backpack is nice but not always helpful. We need either a way to select when this is needed (check box to pull from backpack) or some other way to decide when we want it or don’t. There are times we do not want to use items that are in the backpack and just want to put things in the content area.

4. not sure if this is a bug or not but when putting in red sedimentary rock it should show a red rock for decorative stones not natural cream.

5. It makes no sense why Mass Craft is in a TAB now when it doesn’t stick across selections. It worked just fine with it being under a button. Now I have more steps to do mass crafts.

others?

7 Likes

I love the new tab system, also like that it takes from the backpack. Finally, I love that it shows recipes first, because when I open machine it is because I want to craft something. So yeah… :joy:

I never said I didn’t like the options I said that there were people that had issues with the implementation and were hoping for some adjustments like the ability to select what they want because for many of us it causes MORE steps.

Sometimes when I open a machine I want to GET what was crafted and don’t need the recipe list. So there are many ways we interact with the machine.

I’m sure that wasn’t what you meant by it but if you didn’t have anything to say to SUPPORT the suggestion then you shouldn’t come in and shoot it down. This post is for people that would like some adjustments to the machine rework not for people to come in and then shoot down their comments. So I have no idea why you would need to post and block what me and others are trying to have addressed. And then to add a crying emoji making it seem like I am whining about the system? It really can come off as very offensive.

Maybe when you look at a machine you have two buttons

One to open recipes the other to open contents.

E to view recipes
Hold E or maybe press F to view content

3 Likes

That I think would help a lot. There are just kind of at least 2 interaction modes we have with machines… 1 to do a recipe and 2 to get results of a recipe. So something like that might help.

2 Likes

Yes please!

I can’t manage my machines anymore. :dizzy_face:

It took some time to get used to the system where machines have their own inventories.
But now i love it and want to keep using it the way it was. It’s just so much more organized.
But to manage it efficiently i need to know whats in the machines on one sight.

(Loving the change that machines can pull from their own outputs, btw.
That was oddly disruptive to have crafted the ingredients and the target recipe was still locked.)

2 Likes

after finally getting a little time on to play test the new update today i would have to agree with this.

this would be perfect :smile_cat:

3 Likes

@Jeffrotheswell +1. exactly what I was going to comment on.
Contents first please, but if we have to then I’ll settle for another button assignment.

OH! something nobody has mentioned yet… the order in which you place the machines does not dictate where each part will go anymore. For example I don’t want to have the piston thingy on top of a workbench, I want the saw on top. For the refinery I’d like the 2nd block (in a default vertical placement scenario) and the extractor I’d like the 3rd (or vice versa, can’t remember atm :stuck_out_tongue:)… I used to be able to just place them in the corresponding order that I want them in, but I can no longer do this.

5 Likes

@luke-turbulenz or @james I was wondering if there is any reason we cannot have full screen graphics for things like machine interaction. I don’t understand why we need to have it on the right side of the screen taking up so little screen space. I really don’t need to see my character during this and many other menu system interactions.

If we could have a full screen display then we could easily have all recipes on the right side and all the inventory/contents on the left. This would make it a lot easier for interacting and solve the issue of some people wanting recipes first and others contents… All I know is it will be a lot nicer to have more space in that and some other menus and full screen or close to full screen solves that.

Is this possible or a limitation in the game design?

2 Likes

The purpose of not using the full screen for the GUI was:

1. Game isn’t paused, make sure you can see what is going on… might be attacked, etc.
  2. Leave open the option of split screen on console.
  3. …maybe other stuff I don’t remember.
8 Likes

Ok thanks… makes sense then on why you all had that… I guess when dealing with machines you probably aren’t attacked but I see why its ok. I do wish we had a bit more space to that we could see more.

full screen button like in a browser? you would use it if you want whatever the risk?
would that be complicating things @james?

The presentation of the 3rd person view is really a placeholder until we have time for something else. It’s just not the priority at the moment.

Not sure. But I imagine it would be quite a bit of work to take the GUI designed for a half panel and allow it to work in a wide view.

2 Likes

In that case then I would just prefer to have the rework address the different types of way we interact with machines instead of having to redesign the whole GUI for that. As you see in the post there are both sides on how the machine rework really affected our flow with the game…

1 Like

I’m definitely for content being the default view upon interacting and also for machine taking from backpack being optional.

2 Likes