Main guild overides faction permissions!

If the devs themselves don’t even know if it’s working as intended I doubt it is :wink:

See vdragon’s post here:

Because honestly, it does not make a lick of sense to me…

2 Likes

It makes at least a lick or two of sense.

Guild members get permissions on guild controlled stuff. This carries down to faction controlled properties as they are still controlled by the main guild.

The factions are a sub structure, so it’s a sort of “trickle down”. A one way hierarchy.

3 Likes

I was able to get a guild owned shop to sell to others. The only problem I am having is that we also have a workshop that is under the main guild(because everyone is forced to be in main guild) I decided to give everyone the permissions necessary within main guild.

Now I set up different factions controlling different buildings i.e portal network, farms, and guild store. However, main guild now overides the factions which are supposed to separate permissions? This doesn’t seem right. At the side time faction buffs overide main guild buffs which leads me to believe permissions work the same way.

This doesn’t make any sense to me…

In addition guild made some additional testing in… well test server. And came up with this.

"ok this is odd. testing results:
guildie with worker permission, in faction with no permissions, can interact with items locked by advanced lock set to faction only and with unlocked things in faction-controlled beacon.

upon leaving faction, guildie cannot interact with items locked by advanced lock set to faction only nor with unlocked things in faction-controlled beacon. (but gets flashes of menu when attempting to interact with advanced-locked items)

after relog or portal-hopping, guildie, still not in faction, can interact with items locked by advanced lock set to faction only but cannot interact with unlocked things in faction-controlled beacon."

Permissions are definitely messed up… I really hope this can be looked up quickly as things can possibly be open to anyone that join guild and receives limited permissions.

2 Likes

I would be okay with that IF they could join factions without joining the main guild…

Are you positive they can’t? Pretty sure I was in a faction without being in the main guild.

Yeah, this actually bothered me when i was invited into a faction of another guild. That i have an entry for the main guild in my guilds list.

Still, faction permissions should not apply upstream to main-guild owned properties.

I 100% did not join the main guild. Guild and faction are separate entries in my guilds list.

As far as my observations you automatically get into the main guild.

Honestly I would prefer that they treated main guild as a “friend” per beacon and just remove factions. Without a good division between faction and main guild it really doesn’t serve us well. It renders main guild pointless and leads to a lot of UI clutter with a bunch of factions and logs.

I’m not sure if it’s intentional, or how much of what you posted is a bug in terms of permissions changing and maybe needing a relog to get cleared for an individual character.

Considering that we have guilds with “sub groups” it does make sense that the permissions would carry downstream.

Exactly this. You got it 100%.

Ahaha sorry I guess I included some personal issues with the guild system and the relationship with advance locks.

Back on topic though, it does make sense that some permissions should carry over. Like director and executive permissions. Permissions under operatives in my opinion are better set and be separate from parent guild, and siblings factions. As I explained the way joining the guild occurs you are force to be in the main guild so to me at least it makes sense this would be a perfect place to give the majority of permissions then further target specific permissions with the factions.

The way it works now I join the guild, I am not given permissions to the main guild and I am asked to join another faction to get permissions to a collective build i.e workshop.

Edit: deleted comment as to not get distracted from my intended message.

And yet I can override main guild buffs with a faction buff but not permissions…

2 Likes

Hmm, i don’t run a guild with factions. IF the player has perms int he main guild, do they show in the faction section as enabled?

Can you turn them off there? Would assume you tried it if they’re visible but i don’t remember from the earlier conversation.

They don’t show as being enabled, no.

You cannot turn them off…

It showed up under the beacon permissions in the friends section. As if I gave them permissions manually. But it doesn’t reflect that in the actual faction permissions list.

Guess I’ll have to log in after work and check. I know I was max guilds when I stopped playing. I’ll have to see what guilds and factions I’m a part of.

Well I don’t know if all the Devs know the details or not. I would assume they are not all talking about this because it was a low key conversation I was having with Dave about 1) how it works 2) possibility of changing. Since he is the one responsible for it all I can say is he knows. But as I said, it was working as intended for guild to override faction based on the examples I was showing him. There was no guarantee they would change it.

Also not the first time one dev has confirmed a bug, only to have another dev confirm intended feature soon after. Not every dev knows every detail of every mechanic, nor should they be expected to.

Are you able to share specifics of this, and location so I can take a look?
We’ve had many discussions on how to best do it, and my current belief is, it should not be as complicated as it is.

Main guild would override because they didn’t put in something to stop it. It was built in that the faction was an additional feature but the assumption would be that main guild still ruled the settings. That was basically what I learned or seemed to understand from the conversations. We didn’t dive super into it.

This almost sounds like one of the tests I did. I would have to double check but there was one case where because of the logic that the perms would not work as you would expect. It was like the AND was needed or it couldn’t work. So this could be that but I would have to really compare what I did and if this was the same sequence. It was with advanced locks and it didn’t work in one case.