Make the *world builder* more accessable?

As title… basically i bought the Adventurers Edition a few years back because i was wanting to get into learning how to mod/build worlds and etc - i searched online and found one or two videos (back then about 2-3 years now)

I am still clueless on how to actually use it at all whatsoever

It would be amazing if there was a step by step Guide for Nubs - because otherwise its just gathering dust… cant refund it now - and neither would i want to concerning thats the account of my main! - point being i don’t mind supporting the game… but the £14.99of the DLC has so far been a complete waste (do i even get any extended plots/custom item/etc? as well or is it just the world builder with it?)

Basically *if only i could refund the DLC and keep the base game (until/unless you make it a LOT more accessable :wink: )

1 Like

even if i do get more than just the world builder… my original character i created back then has long since gone… so…

steam username = electronikahn

I know some people have successfully mastered the world builder @Karko I believe is one who has even had at least one world he made used in the game. I briefly looked at the program and if I remember there are some videos on YouTube to show how to use it. I think the ones I saw were several years old though and didn’t appear very useful for today. Take a look though and perhaps you will find something newer to show you how to use it.

In general, for making universes, galaxies, and world maps I use other programs designed for people interested in space, authors, etc. that have physics from actual astronomers, professors, etc. in them. If your interest is in making worlds, I can point you to a couple programs. However, they cost a lot more than the Adventurers Edition of Boundless or the World Builder. Message me if you are interested though. Just a rough guess what the cost is off the top of my head… the less expensive one includes a few programs and is around maybe $80 I think while the better one has more included and better technology but is around $1,000 I think. Anyway, I use both depending on what I’m doing at the moment.

Just for fun since on the subject… did you know the earth with it’s moon is nothing compared to some of the planets that have 125 moons or even over 500 orbital objects including moons? I doubt we will ever see such a thing in Boundless. Who knows though? Perhaps one day technology will improve and make it easy to do in Boundless.

1 Like

i thank you in the effort to assist me… alas… i have seen the same videos… and it still lies beyond my grasp…

saying that… i understand how to create voxels (magicavox) and how to reverse engineer code (.json) Beyond this… 100% no clue… looks like it was mainly created for Oortians not humans :confused:

Also just for fun did you hear about planet narubo (cant rem the crorrect name ) that has a very interesting history, concering many scientists today beleive it is where *the human race - as advanced beings originated (then 10th planet which is now (and has been) our asteroid belt for 1000s of years :wink:

1 Like

I figured it out (sorta) mostly just by tinkering randomly with things, and looking at the pre-made configs supplied with the world builder to try and work things out. Seems like the most viable, but the most time consuming way :joy:

2 Likes

ok to clear up a lot of confusion in my OP, which i realise i did not fully explain @willcrutchley @ElfMarine

my main issue is understanding how to implement a biome/world and what the difference is… how the links/tabs relate… how to add the resources/vegitation/etc and how to view/play it as a test world (which i guess encompasses pretty much everything?)

i have read various books/played with somme basic progs and etc… and so far i have nub level english understanding of how coding itself works… but then i look at the world builder… and it turns all i learnt upside down and inside out :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You surely have more patience than I do @willcrutchley !!! :rofl:

it would be sweet if someone did a lets create a world series on YouTube. i would for sure follow that!

7 Likes

^ this +1billion! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Here’s a very basic tutorial I wrote a while back:

https://github.com/boundless-exchange/web/blob/master/src/articles/world-builder/guide/basic.md

Note that the World Builder’s UI has changed a fair bit since then, but all the concepts still apply

4 Likes

wow thank you so much for this @nevir - very simple… however i clicked the next tutorial link and github came back with 404 error :confused:

1 Like

Yeah, sadly I was only able to carve off the time/motivation to do that first one :frowning:

Beyond that, play around with some of the existing world configs, to see how various nodes are connected & configured

3 Likes

Blockquote Also just for fun did you hear about planet narubo (cant rem the crorrect name ) that has a very interesting history, concering many scientists today beleive it is where *the human race - as advanced beings originated (then 10th planet which is now (and has been) our asteroid belt for 1000s of years

From my understanding,

The planet is known as Nibiru its a planet on a very eliptical orbit that smashed into earth 1000’s of years ago. It was inhabited by an advanced race known as the Annunaki. The next time the Planet of Nibiru came back within traveling distance to earth which was formerly the 4rth planer from the sun the colision created the asteroid belt and knocked the earth into a new orbit as the 3rd planet from the sun. The Annunaki supposedly came here according to translations of ancient Sumerian tablets. To mine the earth for precious metals they needed to try to prolong the death of there planet. Supposedly the Annunaki found the mining to be hard work and they didn’t enjoy it so one of the Annunaki scientists created us, humans from the splicing of their DNA and a primate on the planet at the time.

Basically we were created to work the mines. Evidently the Annunaki found us attractive and interbred with us creating the Nephilim… or Hyrbrids of the Far Taller and larger species with us the much smaller species, the Nephilim were these hybrids…

Evidently the intermixing of the species with us created in a lab expiriment didnt go over well with everyone back home. And the Proximaty of Nibiru to earth created the great flood an event the “Annunaki” where aware of, and the orders were to let the lab experiment die in the flood but the scientist who created us Enki The Ancient Sumerian God of Creation instructed his favorite creations to take the special seeds they brought with them for farming and the domestic animals they brought with them onto a ship “Arc” That Enki provided them the specifications to make.

Anyway, its long known that most of the bible is just a mistranslated version of the earlier Sumerian Texts. For example in the Sumerian version God is Plural, Gods… And it was a descriptor used for basically the Alien beings or Annunaki that taught them everything and created them.

Anyway that’s the THEORY… Not saying I believe this one way or another but its interesting. And honestly I find it far more believable that an advanced species created us in a lab then the whole god made the earth and everything in 6 days and on the seventh he rested…

But I would love to actually see this mythical 10th planet… Or here a credible report about the remains of the Nephilim that are recovered all over the earth. From when I hear is the scientific community is far from jumping onto this wagon, and that there are a minority that do believe some or parts of all of these various possibility’s…

4 Likes

There is some interesting treads on worldbuilder in modding category here.

Hey Barneylee57,

You are right in saying the world builder is not very accessible. We would like to help the community by putting out video tutorials but it’s not a super high priority. To go over the basics of the world builder and do it justice would probably take 5 videos. It is a real shame. The world builder is such a fun and powerful tool.

My suggestion would be to look at existing config files and try and break down what everything does.

I believe there are two main complexities to working with the world builder:

• Understanding the basics (knowing the types of node and how to add features to a biome)
  • Understanding how to combine 2D and 3D heightmaps.

I would first focus on learning the nodes first:

Try to:

• Add a basic heightmap (moutains and such).
  • Add a surface material.
  • Add stata.
  • Add surface decorations.

Once you can do that, try manipulating each element and learning how to control it.

The hardest part of the world builder is creating the heightmaps. Adding noise to get what you want takes some time to learn.

I am thinking about starting a post in which people can submit questions about the world builder.
Questions such as: how can I create a biome with two surface materials?
Do we already have a similar post?

9 Likes

thank you for your response, advice and input @Tobelawe i appreciate it, and cant wait for that thread :slight_smile:

no I don’t think we do.

Boundless 2 - No Oorts Sky

For those who haven’t seen it:

4 Likes

if you say so???