Making a league with rankings for a sport

Heyo, I’ve got something in the works that I feel like sharing now for an in-game sport I’ve been refining for a while.

The sport is simple and I’ll post about it in the future as I did with the early versions. It involves 2 sides with 10 plotted poles each and an unplotted flower on top of every pole. Opponents take turns throwing 1 bomb and try to destroy all the flowers on the opponent’s side. It can be played with teams, alternating shots, but the league will be singles unless there’s demand for doubles in the future.

So I’ve been working on a solid rankings system in spreadsheets for about a year now and I like it well enough but I have too much control over scheduling etc. to know how well it’ll translate to the volatile world of humans.

I will soon be creating the first of a network of leagues, possibly 3- or 4-tiered, which will start with essentially a mock league that anyone can join. When a new league is created, there will be qualifications to join based on past performance and activity.

For now, here’s what matters:
-There will be a league that any player may join by contacting me. It will start before I make any official announcements or videos, to get a baseline down.

• If anyone would like to be in the first wave, I’ll pay a few thousand per match to play against my alts. Earliest players will get a free win against a preset opponent performance to start off and get some practice in.
  • Don’t worry about being good at it for now. Not only will you get a fresh start when moving up in leagues, the ranking system is also weighted for recent performance and your oldest matches get pushed out of the formula.

There are many more details to this to explain but I’ll leave it here for now. Let me know in DM, comments, Discord, or in game if you want to learn about the game itself and be one of the first ranked.

10 Likes

I can confirm the game is definitely fun. I’ll have to come have a look again to get the dimensions. Thinking about putting one by the ninja warrior coarse.

3 Likes

You providing bombs so, same area of effect etc? Just a thought. Sounds cool!

1 Like

I’ll have a big breakdown with “official” rules and share some variants. At the moment I think this first league will use copper bombs (or equivalent) for radius-3, and matches on creative worlds are allowed. Once we kick off the pro league it’ll be radius-2 (iron, diamond, gold, emerald).

Bumping up the radius to 4 and 5 is pretty fun. Blink bombs can wipe out big areas and it would be cool to see some different style courts to accommodate. Maybe official regulations will allow for different designs as long as certain parameters are met… lots to consider.

2 Likes

This sounds like fun. What time will the games take place?

2 Likes

I just want to introduce people to it for now. By the weekend I’ll have a new court on Minigamia (creative world) away from my testing grounds, and some signage to explain fine details. I’ll work on a video too.

The first league will have generally lax rules on playing matches without any kind of scheduling. If someone wants to join, they can just play a match and both players have to report the result. Tournaments can work right into the rankings and I don’t see a reason they couldn’t be spontaneous. It’ll ultimately be the casual league.

There will be 6 divisions broken into 4-hour blocs. Everyone who joins will choose one for that character to represent your average timeframe of activity. There’s no pressure on choosing. You can switch divisions freely and choose separate ones for alts. It’s mostly to give me an idea of suggested matchups and another good reason I’ll get into later.

2 Likes

Got the court built for it on Minigamia. Once I have a creative bridge for it and signs up with game rules, I’ll make a video and kick things off with some matches.

6 Likes

Looks fun. Count me in!

1 Like