Market Prices for SCIENCE! (and reasons)

Hello Friends!

Ok, so you’ve joined the game and managed to find your way to an outpost, city, or major capitol and have come across shop stands were other players are offering you what seems like a really sweet deal on their goods? Sweet deal. Let’s face it though, you don’t have much coin, and some of this ■■■■-o isn’t cheap!

Or maybe you are already an established member of our awesome community and you just haven’t really taken the time to properly price items out and you might be curious as to what the real cost is for an item?

Never fear, I wasted the time to do some math and have come up with a basic example of what an item “might” cost with a “Fair Market Value”.

THE WIZARD MATH:

Our Example Purchase will be 1 Silver Hammer.

What is the cost of 1 Spark?
1 Soft Coal = 166.66 S (Mass Crafted)
1 Soft Coal Current Market Value: 15c-20c (pre-tax)
Current “Fair Market Value”:
SC@15c / 166.66 Sp = 0.09c per spark
SC@20c / 166.66 Sp = 0.12c per spark
SC@17.5c / 166.66 Sp = 0.105c per spark (This is the in between average currently and what we will be using for the sake of science and reasons!)

1 SA = 92c (Mass Crafted)
1 SA = 82.8c + Spark
(0.72 Silver Bar + 0.72 Iron Bar = 64.8c + 18c = 82.8c per SA)
Silver Alloy Mass Craft = 4,500 Spark / 50 = 90s @ .1c = 9c each
(This is with Silver Ore @ 75c +15c for coal and Iron Ore @ 10c + 15c for coal to convert to bars. I know. Not “Actual” Market Values, but for the sake of math, this is what I’m going with. Cheap on ore, a little more on coal. The difference wouldn’t be much from here using this as a starting point. If anything, we could reduce the final product even more. We will also be rounding up or down on somethings because people no doubt do this too.)

1 CSA = 700c (Mass Crafted)
1 CSA = 7.2 SA x 92c = 662.4c + Spark = 698.4c
(360SA / 50 = 7.2 SA = 1 CSA)
CSA Mass Craft Spark: 18,000 / 50 = 360 @ .1c = 36c

1 RSA = 540c (Mass Crafted)
0.72 CSA = 1 RSA = 504c + Spark
RSA Spark: 18,000 / 50 = 360 @ .1 = 36c

Silver Swift Hammer x 10 (Mass Crafted)
Stick: 29 @ lol / 10 = LMFAO Free. (Free is nice)
Fossil Extract: 36 x 5c = 180 / 10 = 18c (Low)
Spark: 7,200 @ .1c = 720c / 10 = 72c (Cheap)
RSA: 15 x 540c = 7,560c / 10 = 756c

“Fair Market Value”: 846c + 10% tax (84.6) = 930c Per Silver Hammer

So why are they priced @ 1100-1500c or more?

Time, Machine Wear, Inflation. Mostly an arbitrary extra amount added on for “Convenience”.

Why should I even care? Well, that is up to you friends. Honestly, you can ignore this if you already have a stable income of your own from which ever path you have chosen, but for new players, it might be something worth paying attention too. Especially if you haven’t invested in Tax Reduction, Tool Mastery, Item Durability Bonuses, or discovered a steady income source of your own. What ever you decide, thanks for your time reading, and I hope you save a little coin along the way. Happy Shopping!

Cheers,
-Eld

8 Likes

I do actually run a calculator to calculate and update all my prices based on input cost.

A silver tool currently costs me 1,373.02 coin to make and I sell for 1450 (a profit margin of 5.6%).

The current cost driver is coal - if I could actually buy sufficient coal @ 15c each I would be charging roughly 950c per hammer. Only way to get the coal supply/demand to balance is to increase to about 22c per market value, which is what my most recent price level does.

Also, silver is gonna see an increased market value (actual true value currently is around 86c). This is due to it being the least-coal route to Titanium Alloy. It should drop in lieu once we get enough miners willing to operate at the 15-20c coal level.

EDIT: With me having increased my prices to 22c per soft coal level it will be interesting to see if you can keep up supply at 15c each. If you can I shall be your #1 customer :wink:

7 Likes

Just to be clear, this is in no way a post about calling out any other shop. This was just a friendly “guide” of a sorts for new payers. I think you get that though.

You are correct about Coal being the current driving force so to speak about item costs and market price fluctuations. However, for some self-run shops, Coal is free minus the cost of hammers. :grin:

The current market price for silver and gold however is a bit inflated in my opinion, but again, we mine for ours and find it in enough abundance to keep our shop stocked (plus some) so that opinion is biased.

We do currently offer Tax Free Wholesale orders on just about anything with a minimum purchase order of at least 500. However, we already have at least 1 massive coal order to fill in exchange for a heavily reduced price goods exchange that we required to expand past our initial operating capabilities, so it could be a few days before we can offer any more on coal. Depending on supply, this will either be a short term or a long lasting trade agreement. Have I mentioned how much I love this game?

Cheers,
-Eld

4 Likes

I get that. I’m just adding some additional explanation on the current pricing (at least from my point of view) and trying to motivate people to mine coal :wink:

Spot on! There is an overabundance of titanium ore on the market (in my shop stand) presently which makes me buy lots and lots of gold + silver ore to make alloy. Somebody has been using gold to decorate as well recently…

4 Likes

Prestige battles are brutal. It’s the poor Oortlings who suffer when the grownups fight. And the shops prosper. :joy:

2 Likes

This isn’t going to happen until the game is re-balanced to make mining equally as profitable as “Hunting” when it comes to Gems…:expressionless:

Agreed. I’ve posted about it in feedback as well - coal is severely overused which devalues everything else. I’m hoping they can rebalance a bit during the recipe patch…

@OmniUno I think he is talking to me! He just told me to stop buying from his shop T_T. Eld if you are running a calculator you may want to check your prices on fibrous leaf. This is primarily what I have been purchasing from you. I am also running a calculator and will take advantage of anything I can make a quick profit off of so that I can operate at 0% - 10% profit margins. I am new though and this may completely fail, but please be nice to me you are still a respectable store owner :stuck_out_tongue:

Correction, I told you to stop buying out of one persons shop just to fuel your own because market prices change and you could end up losing a ton of coin. That was done out of kindness to try and help you not make a mistake in starting a new business. This tip is also free: Get your fact straight please before you start talking about what I have or haven’t done.

Also, It takes me 10 minutes to farm like 500 leafs. Not to mention the other things I find along the way. Keep buying them if you wish. I’ll keep selling them at that price. No calculator needed.

@OmniUno,

You are out of Titanium Hammers. :joy:

Eldwen, I am sorry if it seems that I am making accusations towards you. Remember this is a game! I am in no way trying to devalue you. You said “Stop it.” and “lol.” in what seemed to be a very passive way after asking if I was going to “fuel my shop”. This is not a way that I would want to be greeted by a business owner in real life. I am not mad in any way though! The time per leaf is great, but if you’re trading your cloth for 5 as well I would rather buy the leaf and extract it for feats or sell my cloth for 3 or 4 at most. I should have specified which part of the throughput I was talking about.

It’s true about minIng. With the little time I have for playing games in general the last thing I wanna do when I do find time to play is spend my gaming session mining coal. I happily purchase it from any and all who sell it at semi decent prices. :grin:

1 Like

Personally I would use compact medium coal in my calculations. It seemed to give a better spark per cost.

2 Likes

Shhhhh :grin:

Hi everybody,

I think it’s a mistake to tell the real value of something in boundless economy, the speaker should say: “this is the value i give to something regarding my situation”. I think economy will fluctuate in the game and someone has the right to say that his value of something goes up. This will come at the price of higher cost for what he’s crafting and he’ll have to sell for higher prices. I’m quite allright with this, there are more and more reliable shops opening their doors and i think that all will balance out. Peoples buying for higher may get stuck with something like titanium :wink: and have a hard time selling it with profit
Some players have great amount of coins but they want to spend them wisely so they look for good deal around. I think good relation with other merchants will be the key to have a stable economy.

4 Likes

Rule of Acquisition #34: War is good for business.

6 Likes

I like you. We can be friends.

2 Likes