Mass crafting specialization

As much as I love being able to mass craft everything right now, I think it would probably be better for the economy if we had to specialize in mass crafting different things. There’s just not much incentive right now for anyone to buy finished products when it basically costs the same for everyone to make them. If mass crafting were more specialized, that would create more incentive to trade for things instead of just hoarding basic resources.

How I picture this working is the existing mass crafting skills would stay, but only affect the most basic recipes, like timber and stones. To mass craft other things you would need to spend additional points in specialty mass crafting skills.

I remember a recent poll about whether the crafting skills should be removed. Maybe they could be replaced with mass crafting skills instead. For example, take out the “Common Furnishings” skill and replace it with “Mass Craft Common Furnishings”. So then anyone could craft common furnishings without having to spend any skill points, but without the mass crafting skill they’ll probably be better off just buying them from shops instead. I like the idea of removing barriers to crafting most things, but still requiring a bit of skill investment to do so efficiently.

2 Likes

I think @olliepurkiss has something similar in mind… :wink:

6 Likes

Great, you guys rock!

In my view, the skill tree should not be about what you can do, but what you can do better. I think it’s a little ironic that a game named Boundless has a skill system that makes you pick and choose what you can and can’t do in the game :slight_smile:

1 Like