Maybe I'm Overthinking but

There hasn’t been any new content for three years. There is no promise of new content. No point in actively waiting for any.

True.

Not true.

Subjective. That’s for every individual to decide.

8 Likes

Pretty much this ^

2 Likes

If something has explicitly been promised, I must have missed it. I know there are vague statements that something would be nice or something else will be looked at.

That’s just like your opinion,man…

Thoughts were asked and given. I would assume that it is quite clear that my thoughts are subjective for me.
If you like it better, I can say that for a long time, I personally haven’t seen any point in using my time and energy to actively try to find out information or speculating of the possible updates or their schedule to the game. As I do not see any point in playing the game while waiting it to improve, if one doesn’t already find it good and entertaining.

I also believe that most of the people who have tried Boundless, have not found it good or entertaining enough to continue playing it.

1 Like

good to see your still kicking <3

I don’t think this is actually accurate. I think it’s much more likely they found it too difficult or confusing to get far and quit from frustration. NPE is awful in Boundless, which is why we’ve heard “we want to look at this” so many times. If Monumental actually makes it a good experience I think player retention would become much higher, at least initially. It took me way longer than I should admit (a couple of weeks I think?) to discover that portals even existed, and it just blew my mind once it happened, but I bet most new players don’t even get that far.

6 Likes

I agree that NPE is really really bad.

I think Monty of Monumental is right in fixing the NPE should take top priority. I don’t believe it is enough, but it’s the first thing that needs fixing as it works as a barrier for rest of the game.

3 Likes

I had a great NPE experience.

3 Likes

That doesn’t negate the fact that the majority of people do not have a good experience. I’m glad yours was great but we need to think about how other people are experiencing it, and a lot of people don’t get great or even good.

Mine was mediocre but I was determined. I honestly can’t even remember if anyone gave me gear, and I started on Beckon which sucks to navigate without grapples so it’s a wonder I even stuck around.

1 Like

My NPE was good but only because I joined Portal Seekers and had a bunch of top-end hammers and such tossed my way for easy leveling and because I engrossed myself in the game completely for the first few months. I think we need to be thinking about the more casual player who wants to hop in for a couple hours, make some solid progress, and then get back to life. That type of player won’t have time to engross themselves like many of us did.

6 Likes

I had a great experience, started on beckon, no one gave me anything, did beginning objectives, built a bridge hoping to get coin from people using it, but didn’t know about prestige at that point so i didn’t get coin obviously because it was way too low, explored and found someones unmarked portal, kept exploring found aquatopian embassy, built something nearby it and made a tiny shop once i unlocked and could make shop stands, sold some glass after a couple of days and I was hooked…

Although I do agree NPE could be better, but the game hasn’t really gotten any advertising so I’m sure there are plenty of players out there waiting to play a game like this… (Also this was the first few weeks of release so activity levels where at the all time high)

1 Like

Rambling cause I felt left out lol

Gradually raises hand

(But won’t say why, not the games Fault :joy:)

:disappointed: :disappointed: :disappointed:

I didn’t learn to grapple for the 1st year, always had to make stairs in all the holes I fell in lol

Yea I got it for what the game was so I wasn’t suspecting the 1st update on console but I was suspecting to see all the builds in trailer only to find out the trailer was false advertisement that why me say trailer needs fixing grrrr :joy:

5 Likes

Same for my ex-wife and I (minus being gifted high-end hammers :joy: ) Organizations like PS helped make the experience as great as it was. Boy do I long for those good ol’ days. My new wife isn’t into gaming as much, and my toddler eats up my time now though. I swing by here once in a blue moon though to see if anything’s changed.

1 Like

I started on Beckon. I played 10 hours a day for the first 3 days, and spent most of it trying to get foliage off the top of bamboo trees without a grapple. :rofl: Then I discovered there was foliage in the water the whole time. I had dirt pathways squiggled around everywhere trying to get those stupid leaves.

I couldn’t understand how the Atlases worked, and it took me a week and 3 planet hops to find my first active portal. SMH. I was such a noob.

No one gave me any tools to start out with for the simple reason that I didn’t even run across another player for at least a week. I did find a shop and spent a ridiculous amount of coins buying unforged gold and silver gear though. :upside_down_face: They were better than what I had I guess.

2 Likes

As bad as tutorial might be in some areas, it’s not completely useless.

I noticed a lot of people don’t pay attention to it much. The fact that the universe is all open and available to explore from the go, is both exciting and distracting from tutorial and all the lessons given there.
There are also plenty tips displayed as you come across a new item in game even in post-tutorial phase, but I bet a lot of players just skip it or don’t read carefully.
I met a lot of players over the years that gave me examples of what they missed in early stages of the game, while it was really there in front of them. :wink: :laughing:

Still,
Tutorial need a lot of work and love to be more useful. On top of that it might be helpful to keep a new player in a sanctum till level 10 or so.

Some of the in-game systems are quite complex though and cannot be easily explained anyways, other than by wall of text or detailed tutorial videos - so, in both cases not suitable for an easy and in-depth in-game guide. Atlas and farming are good examples here I think.

1 Like

me too! i think it wasn’t all that long ago, whenever i started doing Turrican’s T6 hunts regularly (I was stunned to find myself finally able to hang in there at all), that i found out that C would let me toe the edge of a surface w/o falling off–that made a huge difference

2 Likes

yes, yes!
one of the many details that can be easily missed
crawl prevents sliding off slopes and falling over edges

1 Like

The forging part of the tutorial needs to be written; at some point there’s a healing boon exercise with no teaching whatsoever about what different potions have tendancies to do, or how “winging it” one is when forging.

1 Like

yeah, forging of course - another of the complex systems (I bet, even if part of tutorial, it would give you a headache to understand it all lol)
complex systems (farming, forging) could definitely use official videos that tutorial links to (no in-game tutorial*** can explain those systems without being too complex, tiring, confusing and making players want to skip it most likely)

*** I mean, ideal in-game tutorial (I suppose) should be something that:

1. is part of game-play,
  2. doesn’t take too much time,
  3. doesn’t make you want to SKIP,
  4. allows you to understand things easy
  5. lets you apply newly learnt parts right away.

Complex in-game systems can’t really be introduced sufficiently in such format. Better to be told that something exists, explain basic ide and then give you link to external sources where you can learn more,

My experience is that I don’t read the tips. Skipped over any tutorials.
I have level 50 characters that I just realised have quests such as aquire sticks and make a wooden tool lol.

I recently had a friend try the game for three hours. Their complaint was the world looks ugly and too blocky in the distance and quit. Which I thought was a tad harsh given they didn’t want to explore and see other biomes. But It’s all relative feedback I guess.

2 Likes