Maybe I'm Overthinking but

…it’s a bit disheartening/weird that there are STILL no job postings on Monumental’s careers site:

For a game that was acquired 9 months ago that they explicitly said would need newly hired developers in order to be updated, I would expect at least some job postings by now. Thoughts?

7 Likes

They said it would be a year before they had everything transferred over. I don’t think they would recruit people just now and have a higher wage bill until they’re ready to develop the game.

7 Likes

That’s fair but we’re coming up on a year soon, so.

4 Likes

It’s all good right now we have a game that runs much better than others out there. Enjoy the experience.

6 Likes

I can’t anymore, sadly. I have 3000 hours played but I miss the “itch” I used to get to play Boundless.

EDIT: I know, I know. It seems I’ve gotten my fill from the game and more than my money’s worth but I’m just venting is all. Can’t wait for dev to start.

8 Likes

I think it’s still fine. I mean this is basically like restarting development?
And not just that I’m sure there are a lot of legal stuff behind the transfer which will take some time. Just to cite an example, Crunchyroll merging with Funimation took like 3 or 4 years to compete? And just recently they announced the final steps.

And the development side I guess it’s pretty much the same, games have been taking longer to develop or bring news and there are multiple good examples of this, like silksong and Metroid prime 4.

And I get that it can be frustrating and even sad but the only thing we can do is wait.

6 Likes

at least, so posssible longer

5 Likes

Well,

They’ve made a couple of statements, without going into semantic analysis it’s clear that it’s not (yet) a business priority for them. Which, IMO, is not a ‘problem’ or any failure.

Yeah, sure there’s lots of questions, it would be fun to have the details of what’s going on over there but TBH it’s very clear that messing around with dates or dripping a drop or two of hopium over here just increases drama. As obsessive fans, we do what we do.

There’s always been something about Boundless (since I came around) that’s made it difficult to progress with. And the users have always reacted poorly. I think a large part of the glacial slowness of getting anything done (besides actual coding) is Sony but can’t be sure.

Anyways no matter the reasons, when it’s time (for them) they’ll surely address it. I’m braced for what some might call “game-breaking changes” in several ways but Monty has commented in the past that he wanted to preserve/extend what he saw In any case if it means out waiting some existing contracts to be able to move in the direction they want, I’m sure they will.

Also ofc they could be going through other stuff. Assuming that everything goes on they have to get certified as playstation developers and whatever that takes. That will influence team building for sure.

Doubts about that aside, they’re clearly working on several projects and again, whatever the reason it’s honestly good again that it wait until they are ready to put solid focus on it. A playstation dev or a low-level dev isn’t going to have a lot to do with their current projects so why be trying to hire one or more (also not a cheap/entry-level position hopefully) if they currently have no actual productive use for them?

Also maybe they will never post directly on their website for this. There’s no obligation on them to do that. There are plenty of hiring channels that don’t involve being flooded with fan apps, hopeful amateurs, etc…

My thought haven’t changed a lot (though it’s fun to think about ‘what could happen’ from time to time) since probably 30 - 60 days after the initial announcement. By that time I think Monty had made it fairly clear that the plan wasn’t to try and grab the ball and keep it rolling using any existing momentum. And kudos for that because things were bad.

So I wait to see when they’re ready, and wait to see where they’ll go with it. I have very little stress about it because I find the game enjoyable as it is, and I don’t come here for any ‘rush’ but instead for a sense of comfortable familiarity. When they say they’re ready, that’s when I’ll get nervous :rofl:

9 Likes

Yeah totally agree. We all want this game to keep moving and evolving but that means that some of us will be disappointed at some point because there is no way that the game can go on all directions to please everyone, at some point they’ll have to make choices about what things they want to implement and even remove or change from the game.

7 Likes

I’m approaching 4k hours played and I’m down to just playing on the weekends. I’ve already gone through my burnout and am now just having fun when I can.
As to @Monumental, they said that it would be a year MINIMUM before they’d be ready to starting hiring staff and begin working on the game. And that the first thing they plan to address is the NPE (New Player Experience) which is honestly lacking. There was also some mention of adding some monetization like cosmetics to bring in more money for development.
Also realize, this game is being moved from a U.K. to a U.S. based company. Things will be run different. Also all promises made by Wonderstruck went out the window when they sold it. It’s up to Monumental to fulfill those…if they choose to do so. They’re under no obligation to do so.
I predicted that it would be 2 years minimum before we saw anything meaningful…and I’m okay with that.
I go on hunts with @Wondernut and @honeybear730. We laugh, talk, socialize, facepalm, and just have fun. I visit my hotspring, swim in my pool, watch the sun go down and come up and just mavel at this beautiful game.

14 Likes

Yea that’s the way I look at it toooooo :cookie:
That why I decided to take a break after 20k hours because when they do start to get going ima be full in again Boop! Even saving a fund to buy lots & lots of plots Muhahahaha Houchus look out Muhahahaha :heart: (I Do Miss Everyone hands everyone a :cookie:)

10 Likes

I suspect a lot of us (me included until I re-read what they actually said) mistook the year to transfer to mean that at the end of the year they already have a dev team set up and be ready to roll out immediately. That’s because most of us have no idea of the legalities they have to negotiate in order to fully own the own game, and what hoops and hurdles they have to jump. I truly appreciate those in the community who do have an idea, and who have put forth some of those that they know of. It made it a lot easier to understand why from our point of view nothing seems to be happening.

But I’m still building, still thinking about other builds, and just enjoying the game as is.

6 Likes

we are lucky enough we still can play, rent sov, enjoy game :slight_smile
they keep it running, paying for hosting, giving us exos and events still under the transition phase,
im really gratefull they didnt closed the game for that period of time

i can wait, i can give them all the time they need to make this game their way they envision it :smiley:

7 Likes

Most every super sensitive superfan on this board who insists that Monumental must be given a year, will be more than happy to extend their 1 year target date for 1.5 years, 2 years, 3 years, and so on. And everyone here knows it.

Why? Because even as Boundless’ player base evaporates around them, they see nothing wrong with the game. Even other players declaring that things will get better in the future agitates them because to make such a declaration means that something is wrong with the game in its current form. :joy: :man_facepalming:

And I say this as someone who has fun playing the game several times per week and yes, as someone who (trigger warning :rofl:) realizes the game is not perfect and can improve in several areas, who understands why streams of the games are lucky to have 20 viewers, and who understands why the player base is shrinking.

10 Likes

I’ve Played over 5000 hours now.
Stopped paying my Gleam club in protest
The Australian Player base has almost shriveled up.
Stopped hunting due to incompatible hunt times. Usually 7:30am or 1:00am Au time
I’m still happy to farm resources to sell.
My base building has slowed down thou.
(Just thought I’d vent with you)

7 Likes

I understand both sides of the argument. I’ve watched the player base die. I wish the new owners would choose to interact more, even if it is just once a month to say “Background legal stuff still being background legal stuff.” I think it’s a weird tactic to pay money for a game, and jump through all the hoops - and not allow for a social media bod to keep the player base engaged and on your side. But I will play until they turn the servers off, because I do enjoy the game even as is.

3 Likes

I just want to make note that not all of us are completely gone, even if we’re not playing. I’m still checking on the forums semi-regularly, and completely intend to return once I see development resuming. I still consider it my favorite game at this point (move over DragonRealms), I just also still have mixed feelings playing due to John’s death (his birthday was last week) and the lack of development makes me sad too. Both of those just make it tough to get in game. But I’m here, waiting, hoping, and I’m unlikely to be the only one.

6 Likes

I’ve been hoping they will post right now since it would be incredibly convenient for my current job search, but oh well.

If I’m giving Monumental the benefit of the doubt, we know that all this stuff also requires action from Wonderstruck. If Wonderstruck is too busy with their new jobs to facilitate transfers, that would explain why it takes weeks or months between each transfer of assets.

But who knows. Yeah, definitely disheartening - on several levels for me - but not much we can do but wait and hope and/or enjoy what is currently available.

8 Likes

Nice to see your name pop up on the forum again :smile:

3 Likes

I checked a few weeks ago and saw no postings then and thought “surely by now they would start looking, dev market being as competitive as it is right now” but maybe they are sure they can get the labor when they are ready to seek it?

We might still be waiting for bulders gate 3 or whatever to launch before we get any sort of development news on this game… Which I had hoped wasn’t the case anymore with the new owners…

2 Likes