[OUTDATED] MEGA THREAD: Gem Locations (After March 2017 Resource Distribution)

lol oh yeah… this too ^

strip mining down there would be an exercise in frustration… maybe i should try it for kicks some day if i ever go farming for some red rock =P

If you ever have a need to go farming for red rock, come to my shop first. :smile:

1 Like

If only we could build a device or tool that would tell us what biome we are in (when underground you can’t see surface clues)
Or I still really would like a skill or device that would point toward a selected resource.

3 Likes

I forget who I was talking to about this (bad memory, sorry) but we were discussing a skill or craftable dowsing rod type thing, to point you in the direction of the nearest resource, possibly on compass as well.

Love the idea. :+1:

1 Like

Vulpto seem very unreliable there. I mine two different areas but same kind of biome, one would give me 20-40 rubies per 2 hours while another less than 10. Then there is regen mechanics. The area giving 20-40 for a few weeks become poor and my harvest there drops to below 10. The other area starts giving 20+

Andoweem is good for strip mining and if you hit the right spot you will get 100 diamonds oper 2 hour trip. Level 1 to 15 like. Just be ready to hit lava sometime and keep some rocks in hand to quickly seal the hot leak.
Two days ago I brought over 40 stands for an hour work. I wasted first hour in some poorer areas and only got a few and the final hour gave me some 40.

Normally I just find pretty low level ground like below 70 in a valley or by a lake. I dig down to low levels and go in direction of mountains I saw when started digging from surface. Works fine both on Andoweem and Vulpto. The only better thing is to know exact location that is gem reach.

Topaz is not too bad as well. An hour of digging inside a sedimentary table mountain should give you 8-12 gems. Sometimes around 15 and close to 20. I found level 100-140 best for topaz.

Other gems are so rare cause they have high altitude spawn mechanics and no planet have enough areas above 120. Additionaly gems have favorite type of rock or soil or foliage they spawn under and in some cases it doesn’t exist on their planet. One of the gems likes spawning high under ice and although you can find some high ground you won’t see a single ice block on that world. Gems do spawn outside their favourite conditions but way less. Here’s the reason you find like 2-4 sapphires for a few hours of digging. If you get close to 10 you are lucky.

I have been having a hell of a time finding emeralds on alturnik - wondering if anyone has any more tips.

The only biome that seems to spawn flora seems to be a clearing of grass + plants, usually at pretty low elevations, except when it runs up next to mountains. The trouble, though is that those mountains generally don’t get high enough to spawn caves underneath them. I’ve also tried digging around various mountain ranges (ice capped, typically), and haven’t seen any emeralds there either :frowning:

1 Like

Last time I tried emeralds was half a year ago and yes, the mountains with caves at the right level are scarce and so are emeralds. I ended up having a few of them after a couple of hours. Half of the time spent on searching the right spots and only half of the time on actual digging. And never 100% sure I was digging in the right areas either.

So, mining emeralds has been a big no for me since.

2 Likes

I have a base in alturnik mountains, got around 40 emeralds when digging it out, Looks like spots with 3-4 gem 20 - 40 blocks apart hided in the stone.

Stripmining around alt 100 should do it.

You welcome to dig around here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At the very least I’d love to check it out and make sure I understand the spawning conditions too!

What’re the coords for that base?

3 Likes

Related questions for @lucadeltodecso if it doesn’t give too much away:

• Do veins spawn into (replace) existing blocks, or only blocks that are being regenerated? (Or something else?)

• Do player-placed (surface) blocks/props influence vein spawns? (…aka could I plant a garden above some 90-110 caves on alturnik, come back later and find gems?)

2 Likes

I like the build so far btw :slight_smile: The theatre is neat!

1 Like

Just followed the advice of this thread to try and find some diamonds on Andooweem. Got out of the Portal Seekers Portal on Andooweem and ran a bit until I found a low sand area. Dug into it and got down to 13 elevation. I dug from floor to ceiling in a straight line for a bit then went left three blocks and came back in a straight line; maximizing block exposures per break. I also set some rules, which included following all veins (copper, iron, coal, etc.) until exhaustion and then returning to my original path. In one hour I found using iron hammers and 1 gold hammer for the better stuff:

37 diamonds
10 small fossils
9 large fossils
4 ancient tech fragments
218 soft coal
27 medium coal
15 hard coal
112 copper ore
180 iron ore
8 titanium ore

I think it worked pretty good!

8 Likes

Happy to have helped. <3

Yo guys. I’ve been taking a bit of a break from Boundless. I check the forums fairly frequently still though, so if anything ever massively changes with Gems and how they spawn, I’ll be sure to edit this / possibly make a new Mega Thread if the changes are large.

Stay classy, Oortians.

4 Likes

It’s going to change soon, but I think we will be much less in the dark about where things spawn.

2 Likes

Hopefully the knowledge menu will get info on things like this

I think we can do better than that.

How? Lol do you mean it being in a tutorial?

Agreed.

16 Likes