Meteor mod

A while back, there was a mod to make meteor at distance more visible. Is that still a thing? Since I got a new computer, I was wanting to try to get it to work this time.

2 Likes

I believe the meteor mod still worked (atleast the last time I used it. Here is where I got it.

1 Like

Worst case you can just do the edits. If it’s not explained in the mod manager thread there should be a thread specific to that somewhere.

That particular mod is just an edit to one or two JSON files.

info from my great friend whitelet. It is possible to manually do the edit by following the steps. The mod manager just saves you time of having to locate different files and texts for all the mods it has

5 Likes

Thanks! That’s what I was looking for.
Just curious. Is 10k the max distance or can you use higher values?

1 Like

I believe that is as high as you can go, but feel free to try it anyways!

I’m pretty sure it’s the distance in meters. For what that’s worth :rofl:

I think there’s another system that stops you from seeing stuff closer than that but can’t be bothered to try and dig for dev posts.

I don’t remember if setting it too large (over the 10k) actually causes any errors though.

EDIT: I didn’t want to say a number but now I remembered where I read this. Roughly 600m (maybe more on a diagonal) is as far away as the server will notify your client of a meteor:

Oort “the James” ArchToday at 2:10 PM
…
Some entities are global, some are in the big grid, others are in a 32m grid, etc.
This is why you can sometimes see a meteorite up to 300m + 299m = 599m away.
And sometimes only 301m away.
Because it’s giving you entity information about the next cell in the grid.
(If that makes sense.)
I’m in grid (0,0) an it tells me about metoerites in (1,0), (1,1), (0,1), etc. around me.

1 Like

@majorvex I think this thread can be closed.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Closed at OP’s request.