Mining gems, experience so far

Andoweem is made of diamond.

2 Likes

Use an Atlas. Put diamond in Atlas. Dig down until you reach alt 9. Dig with a diamond hammer in straight like in YELLOW areas on Atlas.

2 Likes

I used an atlas with a diamond all day, started around noon ended up with 79, I still need 81. It’s such a grind…

Diamond Mine Pit!

1 Like

Yeah, to be it’s on a tier 2 planet…

Nice honeycomb you left there!

Once you have gem (especially diamond) hammers mining diamonds becomes much easier. I think the hardest part is trying to find them using pre-gem tools simply because of the time it takes to mine a large enough area 1block at a time.

When I started digging on Andooweem, the only diamonds I’d find were the occasional one at the end of coal or iron seam that I was mining out. Also, it was often 2blocks away from my tunnel -so close and yet so far.

So, being an optimiser, I found a quick way to expose as many blocks as possible using iron tools.

Start out with your atlas, getting down to around lvl 8-10 inside a hotspot, and dig a 2 high room about 20x20. This is the slow part.

Now, you are sure to find all the gems in this area but it takes a long time. My tip is to find all gems in the 3 layers above- you dig up straight vertical tunnels in an offset pattern, meaning that the sides of the tunnels expose every block as far up as you can reach like this:

XXOXXXXOXX
OXXXXOXXXX
XXXOXXXXOX
XOXXXXOXXX

Sorry screenshot not available this week.
It’s the pattern that knights (horsies, ♘ ) move in chess, two forward one left(right). As long as you pick either left OR right, then repeat indefinitely.

Each tunnel exposes the 4 squares next to it, no 2 tunnels expose the same block twice and no blocks get skipped. This gives 100% exposure for 20% mining.

If you’re done with your level, you can extend your room and carry on, or build a staircase to make the top of your tunnels the floor of your next room (about 4-5 levels up) and repeat.

Just a hint to speed up strip mining before gem tools :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry, I think this all has to do with Aliens.

Smart.
I usually mine a corridor then turn either left or right, skip 2 blocks and start digging in the opposite direction. Same rule. Exposing as many as possible with less rock breaking. Eventually I change altitude with the same rule of skipping 2 blocks.

3 Likes

Sometimes I use a pattern where some blocks are not even seen. Because the risk of missing a diamond seam is still small given that they take up several blocks of space.

2 Likes

So how come everyone keeps saying diamond hammer? I made a few titanium ones that hit harder than diamond (look at the stats). Am I missing something? Diamond hammers also require 1500 power to make and currently I only have enough to make 700 power.

Diamond hammers hit 3 blocks at the same time (horizontally), as opposed to just one

4 Likes

WHAT, that’s wild…

1 Like

Yup. Emerald hammers hit a nice “+” shape 3 high and 3 wide, but does less damage per swing so breaks less blocks per durability loss. Still my preferred tunneller though as 5 broken blocks expose 13 blocks, and you can walk through this tunnel. With the diamond you can break 6 blocks in the same number of hits, exposing 16 blocks in total. The view / inventory fill gain is marginal (2.6 vs 2.666 blocks revealed per block mined) but thats why I carry both when I go gem hunting

Edit- feels like I should drop a few YouTube videos showing some tricks & tips with gem tools… First figure out how this thing works hehe

6 Likes

No wonder I saw plus signs underground, I didn’t realize a gem tool was doing it so I was doing it with an iron one haha. Still there are clearly much better ways to look for diamond than I was doing. I look forward bto trying out everyone’s suggestions.

1 Like

Have you ever mined up and found lava?

I use diamond hammer sometime and same for emerald butty favourite tunneler is the amethyst one.

1 Like

Not on andoweem, but other places yes. Luckily it’s quite viscous so you should have time to step out of the way

1 Like

What’s your YouTube name? I’ll subscribe and hit the bell button.

You should throw in or do a separate vid for mining with pre-gem tools. It might save alot of people greif.

What?