Mining gems, experience so far

Been playing since 12pm it’s 7pm now. Have mined around 70 diamonds any tips on finding them would be greatly appreciated. I have used the mining portals, found about 5-10 but then I went back to we’re I found the bulk of my gems. I am trying to stay around Altitude 30 as that’s what a graph I saw showed. I am using an atlas the area im in currently has a ton of yellow. When I find diamonds I usually try to switch directions as I imagine there is some kind of radius that it is generated, maybe? Anyways about 90 gems to go and I can make gem tools!

Just found 4 more blocks I have luck bonus V and all I got was 4 lol. Ah well I made it this far il get what I need eventually.

Near lava and at Altitude 15 has been awesome so far!! Thanks for the tips!

Andooweem is a Level 2 planet, luck attribute just affect on Level 3 planet, so each diamond seam just drop 1

1 Like

Ahhhhhh, no wonder. That’s a shame = Looking forward to new planets now haha.

if you want found much diamond, you can try to find it under 15 height
Can avoid gravel and sand

craft diamond hammer, dig 3 width 2 height horizontal pit to the edge of the enrichment area, you can find many diamond

1 Like

diamond is best found in desert areas a atlas will help to keep you in the area and they are also best found at lava lvl or under. Also I find them at the end of coal’s

1 Like

Andoweem is made of diamond.

2 Likes

Use an Atlas. Put diamond in Atlas. Dig down until you reach alt 9. Dig with a diamond hammer in straight like in YELLOW areas on Atlas.

2 Likes

I used an atlas with a diamond all day, started around noon ended up with 79, I still need 81. It’s such a grind…

Diamond Mine Pit!

1 Like

Yeah, to be it’s on a tier 2 planet…

Nice honeycomb you left there!

Once you have gem (especially diamond) hammers mining diamonds becomes much easier. I think the hardest part is trying to find them using pre-gem tools simply because of the time it takes to mine a large enough area 1block at a time.

When I started digging on Andooweem, the only diamonds I’d find were the occasional one at the end of coal or iron seam that I was mining out. Also, it was often 2blocks away from my tunnel -so close and yet so far.

So, being an optimiser, I found a quick way to expose as many blocks as possible using iron tools.

Start out with your atlas, getting down to around lvl 8-10 inside a hotspot, and dig a 2 high room about 20x20. This is the slow part.

Now, you are sure to find all the gems in this area but it takes a long time. My tip is to find all gems in the 3 layers above- you dig up straight vertical tunnels in an offset pattern, meaning that the sides of the tunnels expose every block as far up as you can reach like this:

XXOXXXXOXX
OXXXXOXXXX
XXXOXXXXOX
XOXXXXOXXX

Sorry screenshot not available this week.
It’s the pattern that knights (horsies, ♘ ) move in chess, two forward one left(right). As long as you pick either left OR right, then repeat indefinitely.

Each tunnel exposes the 4 squares next to it, no 2 tunnels expose the same block twice and no blocks get skipped. This gives 100% exposure for 20% mining.

If you’re done with your level, you can extend your room and carry on, or build a staircase to make the top of your tunnels the floor of your next room (about 4-5 levels up) and repeat.

Just a hint to speed up strip mining before gem tools :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry, I think this all has to do with Aliens.

Smart.
I usually mine a corridor then turn either left or right, skip 2 blocks and start digging in the opposite direction. Same rule. Exposing as many as possible with less rock breaking. Eventually I change altitude with the same rule of skipping 2 blocks.

3 Likes

Sometimes I use a pattern where some blocks are not even seen. Because the risk of missing a diamond seam is still small given that they take up several blocks of space.

2 Likes

So how come everyone keeps saying diamond hammer? I made a few titanium ones that hit harder than diamond (look at the stats). Am I missing something? Diamond hammers also require 1500 power to make and currently I only have enough to make 700 power.

Diamond hammers hit 3 blocks at the same time (horizontally), as opposed to just one

4 Likes

WHAT, that’s wild…

1 Like

Yup. Emerald hammers hit a nice “+” shape 3 high and 3 wide, but does less damage per swing so breaks less blocks per durability loss. Still my preferred tunneller though as 5 broken blocks expose 13 blocks, and you can walk through this tunnel. With the diamond you can break 6 blocks in the same number of hits, exposing 16 blocks in total. The view / inventory fill gain is marginal (2.6 vs 2.666 blocks revealed per block mined) but thats why I carry both when I go gem hunting

Edit- feels like I should drop a few YouTube videos showing some tricks & tips with gem tools… First figure out how this thing works hehe

6 Likes

No wonder I saw plus signs underground, I didn’t realize a gem tool was doing it so I was doing it with an iron one haha. Still there are clearly much better ways to look for diamond than I was doing. I look forward bto trying out everyone’s suggestions.

1 Like

Have you ever mined up and found lava?