Missing icons on forums

I’m wondering if maybe part of the reason some folks are having a hard time using the search box may be because it’s not visible to them? This is what the top of the forums looks like to me every time I open the page:

Once I mouse over the icons in the top right, they show up again, but it’d be near-impossible for new community members to know they exist if they’re seeing the same bug I am.

Edit: Suppose I should mention I’m using IE 11 (work requirement) and usually open the site in a new tab. If you need any more details, feel free to let me know.

Edit2: To anyone who suggests it may just be a discourse bug, another gaming community I’m a part of that uses discourse doesn’t have this issue.

Never had this issue with Firefox.
But surely something that needs to be looked at.

There’s a topic about forum bugs already.

I have / had the same problem with some of my badges. Sometimes they show up … sometimes they don’t. I’m using IE10.

Highly doubting a new issue for an unrelated bug will be frowned upon by the devs. Better to have a support thread you can mark as solved imo.

Also following the new procedure since Ben said we don’t have to be as tight on duplicative threads, a conversation you took part in :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Checked Chrome, IE11, and Edge. Can’t repro it, even on the browsers where I’m not logged in. That makes it more interesting.

1 Like

I’ve been unable to repro it on Chrome or IE11 here at home. My guess is it’s related to security at work or something? It’s a medical software place so lots of patient safety kinds of things being sent and received so we’re super careful.

If (this time i use this word correct :stuck_out_tongue: ) it’s the same problem like me, it’s not because of safety. My home-office place is not “super” secure.

I’m sure they have their own bug-tracking system so there is no need to have loose coupling on this end but i know what you mean :wink: Had some “equal” / related issues so i liked to link to it.

Oh, I see now. In my mind, a broken icon and a missing icon are two different things. The black x shown in your image on the thread you linked means the icon is there, but broken for whatever reason. My icons just plain aren’t showing. Different issues that may be fixed by one solution, but I still think they’re different.

They likely do, but marking something as resolved on the forums is likely more of a transparency thing to let players with similar issues know when something is fixed ;). In this case, keeping support threads with different issues in their own threads will help people with similar issues have an easier time of tracking these threads down.

2 Likes