Mods discussion?

i had a friend who was pretty pissed about the mod for better viewing meteors since he dont check forum he did not know about it hens why he upset
so i was wondering
if a mod improves peoples leveling should n the dev’s make it available ingame? our add a mod runner in the game maybe
i can see why my friend got mad about it before i did not really think about it like that so just seeing what you guys say about this
being unfair advantage over unknowing people

im def pro mod’s 100procent but i think if they allowed there should be more control on them on the dev’S side maybe
gonna put up some signs around aqua towns to tell people about them
for sure

also if mod’s could be dev approved they can add them under other name as “addons” for both pc and ps4

the thing with dev approved mods is they would need to build a entire system around hosting and checking and approving every mod that players make cuz once you go into that realm they become responsible for whatever the mod des. kind of like how WoW des it with there API system and twitch checking and installing mods etc sure you can install mods outside of twitch but they are not responsible for doing that.

for example right now mods in boundless are crazy dangerous not saying sim would ever do this but when you use exe’s like boundless trade scanner there is nothing stopping the creator form haveing it install keyloggers, trojans or ransomware. i think its why the devs have been so hush hush on the hole modding community if that was to happen right now they can say "well we never really sanctioned the use of mods so its on them for using it.

but once you offer ingame support for it that opens the door for "oh i installed x mod and got my banking info stolen the devs should have checked the mod!!!. annnnnnd boom lawsuit

edit

my bad all that and i forgot to even sate my point…what i was getting at is maybe the current system is best for now…sure its wild west but the devs really need to focus on actually finshing the game rather then spending weeks or months getting everything set for full mod support

4 Likes

Should mods be allowed? I feel like it unevens the playing field for players, and breaks rules developed by the devs.

I personally say no. But I’m a nobody really. Just a rando

1 Like

def agree but that idea off mine would not be like mods run via def’s
it would be more like a ingame option the def activate so the people with no mod acces our people who dont want third party mod’s
could atleast use the most used mods but made as a legit ingame build in option(stepping away from dev run mod’s idea doesnt make sence to be honest a dev mod is just a ingame option lolz)
also just talking about the stuff thats really giving mayor advantage to modders

saw edit yeah i agree with your edit
no time for that now lol was just thinking out loud here :smile:

1 Like

I think the ideas are okay if implemented by the devs in the game itself. But I feel like mods are cheating or breaking the rules of the game, imbalancing player capability and giving some a benefit over others.

I am probably in the minority, saying that I dont think external mods should be tolerated. Could cause divides in the community

In my opinion, because I am in no way qualified to make the statement, for legal purposes.

any mod that involves editing plain text files, for example the Json files, should be allowed.
any mod that involves editing texture files that are in a common readable format, should be allowed.
or anything else where the files just lend themselves to very easy editing should be allowed.

Mods that require unpacking files, Decompiling files, Converting files, Reading or altering the games memory, Reading or altering the games network packets/frames, or anything else that requires some effort or finesse to tamper with, should not be allowed.

Not knowing is not an valid reason for something to be unfair.

3 Likes

Hey sorry,

Not sure about the differences. I dont know about how to mod or the aspects of it coding. Just dont like when it makes things unfair.

If the file is easy to open and edit, it should be allowed.
if the file is hard to open or otherwise shows alot of corrupted looking nonsense when opened, then that kind of file should not be allowed to be edited.

Most typical Modding in this game is quite simple because they are in plain text files that anyone can open. for example

Everything in this file is clearly defined and the values are easy to edit and save

1 Like

Interesting, how would changing one of those files change gameplay?

for example

This is the file to do this with

This part of the file is the part that involves the situation that got someone „upset“

The value for “renderDistance”, is normally quite a bit lower, if you turn it up to something extreme, like i have, then you have modded the game to be to see the meteor’s information box from far away.

The result looks like this

I am quite far away from it, but I can see it is over there if I am facing it.

Meteor view distance slider under setting in-game. Boom need it!

3 Likes

The settings menu would become insanely long if they added every single value that could be edited from the json files.

This is pretty typical in my book, the most common settings are put in a game menu, and the much less common stuff is normally stored in plain text files for people to edit.

However if enough people make enough noise about the situation, then the devs might add that to the menu or they might remove the value from the json file so no one can do that. thou more then likely I expect they do nothing.

1 Like

Though console user are unable to edit these files.

1 Like

You can blame Sony for that, That is not really the fault of the devs, It is Sony being control freaks, and that is a side effect if you pick to play on a platform that picks to lock its users out of tampering with game files

Not blaming anyone for it. Though adding a section under setting next to graphics named “mods” perhaps and adding meteor detection distances slider would not lengthen the menu just be another page like adding skill page 4-5.

1 Like

Because if you are going to add that, then you would have to add everything else, which will make it unreasonably long, otherwise you can not ever resolve the problem of

If you only want to add some things that is fine but the above problem will always remain for people who play on a locked platform, unless everything is added

I hate sliders in anything that haves more then 10 possible numbers for values, it should be a input box where you can type in the value

1 Like

I don’t see anything wrong when a separate section. Even if there is a long list of things in it. We have a knowledge tab that can reach the East coast to West coast of the United states. If someone would want to take the time to go through it then so be it. If it’s a easy thing to add by the devs and they would like to give the option for these things then horray. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It would take them some time for sure. rather or not it is easy. I really do not know.

Yeah, I’m not sure how I feel about this. It would be nice for QOL. But if only some get to do it, it’s an unfair advantage whether easy or not based on knowledge of how files work.

This is technically giving someone something better not based on dev decision. In a way cheating of sorts.

If it was a slider, then everyone would just max it anyway. I feel like it needs to be predetermined by devs and uneditable

The decision the devs made when they put it in to a plain text file, as far as I am concerned is consent that the devs are willing to let us edit it and it not cheating as they made absolutely no effort to obfuscate the values

3 Likes