My first few weeks in Boundless so far

Hello there. I recently joined the Boundless community roughly a week and half ago. First hour of Boundless, it had me under its thumb instantly. I loved it. Especially at night time, first time I saw that beautiful Milky Way Galaxy, oh lord… Mind my language, but I ■■■■ BRICKS. I fell in love, my entire house is covered in galaxy tapestry hahaha. One time I tripped so hard I thought there was floating islands on this one planet, and I jumped towards a crevice/river and freaked out but just to realize its just nighttime and water is practically invisible with that reflection lololol… I felt very dumb that night ever since… The building in this game is FANTASTIC. The chisels were a delight to use, so much more variety of shapes on blocks than any other Sandbox MMO involving blocky blocks. I will have to complain, not to be a whiny brat, but why are glass blocks not able to be chiseled? It doesn’t make sense. So many other blocks can be chiseled, but not glass? Even lanterns can be chiseled. The developers should make glass able to chisel, and imagine glass blocks chiseled skinnier with arches? Who knows? that would look good on a cathedral, manor, tower, whatever your heart desires. Just a suggestion although, I would like to be able to have a system or a glass dye mixer, where you can dye glass with a certain gleam/block color, and have like a bright opaque tint to a glass block, it would be awesome.

I am currently level 27, and have not invested in my second skill set, thank god. I realized they weren’t pooled skill points, had to grind individual SP’s. Blah. I am although very disappointed in the character talent tree. I have read and researched a lot of posts and various chatter about skills in this game. I’m level 27 and I can’t even get to Serpensarindi, because most of the mining skills I have, takes too much skill points. Why 5 skill points? Wouldn’t 3 SP for a epic skill make more sense? It jumps instantly from 1 skill point into a regular skill/ exploration/tool damage to 5 skill points FOR EVERY EPIC skill in the tree. And we’re only given, what, 100 skill points? I also heard that you have to be in a beaconed area to switch to another skill set, I hate that idea. Having to go back to my home planet to get mining skill set, or other ones that I need for certain objectives/goals, and then going back and forth, back and forth… If the dev’s reduced the cost of epic skills by like 2 points, it would greatly help push the new people outwards into the harder worlds to help them further their progress into the game and reduce the heavy lag I’ve witnessed on these lower tier worlds… Maybe they’re stuck there cuz they can’t decide if they want their good skills or to get environmental skills to get to the planet, and then not have the other skills to use on that certain planet they arrived at. I don’t know, maybe I gave this too much thought. I’ll gladly take any hits or fires on me about my rant, I wanna understand this game more and why the Devs chose to run by this very unorganized cluttered skill tree. At least it seems cluttered to me.

Onto the crafting part, alright, I loved how I discovered something new every day about new ingredients and tools and equipment. The various work stations (refinery,compactor, etc etc…) Then I got further in, and started realizing, some things take too much materials to make. Or at least the material you actually need like (fibrous leaf) is scarce, or even iron on T2-T3 worlds. I would like them to at least fidget around with resource costs and material resource regeneration. One thing that pissed me off, was how so many worlds out there were apparently “coal worlds” and I went to every. single. one… and after like a few hours on each planet, I only get like 25-40 soft coal on each planet maybe. I even bought some gold bombs and threw em, made a big ass hole about 40 blocks down, nothing. just sedimentary rocks and sand.

I wanted to say that… swimming in water and trying to jump on a simple platform that’s right in front of you and its only one block which seems like such an EASY thing to do, and your character struggles and looks really stupid trying to get on land… its humiliating. Even the grappling system is busted, or there’s a bug on it. It works fine a lot, but then every now and then, I get these times where my grapple just releases after I click the opposite action button (L1 - R1). I’ve died a few times cuz of this… trying to build my massive manor I’m currently working on…

The bugs I have encountered is when you die, and return to sanctum, your camera changes views. Its annoying to have to change it back. The intense humping, hula hooping spiraling, rubber-banding laggy lagging lag on these worlds that have a lot of population… Is that because of the amount of people, the amount of people running through portals every second of every minute of every hour, or is it just because the servers of this game needs to be upgraded or optimized? If they need money for better servers, I’ll happily buy a $100 cubit box. :smiley: (I already have like 300 plots)

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read my rant and thoughts about this game! I rate this game 10/10, and I would suggest it to all of your friends! Its an awesome game to be a part of and to witness grow and become an empire. I love it. Let me know what ya’lls thoughts are!

~Kilimanjaro~
10 Likes

I came back with over 2,400 soft coal, with a max spec miner and iron hammer, so… Not sure what you’re doing wrong…

Could you list your skills?

https://boundlessskill.com/index

Save your build and post it here.

It is probably a combination of the number of people during popular US hours and the fact that the server has to send a lot of information about each visible block, calculate enemy pathfinding, etc etc for each player on a world, as well as sending the information of every player nearby to every other player nearby. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure they’re working on improving things. It’s only bad a couple hours a day, when the servers are really full.

I kind of figured it was that. I assume that the dev’s did not expect this much people to grab this game and play it. Its became pretty popular in the last week. More and more and more people with new names I haven’t seen. Its crazy.

It must be my skill points may be outta whack a lil, but I have invested a few cuz of building my manor and so forth. Like machine crafting and tech crafting and so forth. but here you go. https://boundlessskill.com/index?b=BMMEKG5B2R6RBYWNGVAR

I recommend saving up 600 cubits, making an alternate character, and making that character your dedicated crafter to free up those crafting points.

1 Like

About the skillset-switching. Outside your home you have a cool-time to switch. No need to get home to switch.

I didnt even think of that! Whew, thats a pretty good idea. How would I get linked to my home with the alternate character? Is it already linked or do I have to give permission?

You have to give permissions, but all your alternate characters are automatically in your friends list, so you just have to add them to the beacon.

1 Like

Oh that’s really convenient. Whew, now my burden of the thought of what to do with my skills and how to get to higher level worlds has been lifted. If only I had thought of that sooner. Do your alts also get objectives and goals as well? Or only applied to one main char?

1 Like

Each character gets a new set of feats and objectives.

You can also get the first few levels really quickly if you keep the things needed for the first few objectives handy for every new character (a spanner, two beacons, one of each wooden tool, etc).

That way you can complete objectives quickly and get a nice chunk of xp in just a few minutes.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I definitely remember my first 10 levels. It flew by and I didn’t even realize. Theres a few stuff on the crafting epic category that i will eventually get, besides the normal machine crafting, tech, food, augments, tools, and etc etc. Im probably gonna level them both to lv 50 to utilize the full crafting and hunting/mining chars. Cant wait to get started on that!

2 Likes

Overharvested by players. Fibrous leafs can be quite easy to get if you know how to look for them - hint: look in places that players are rarely seen.

2 Likes

I always go to my place of birth to harvest leaves. They’re all over the place and no one is there.

1 Like