My opinion on the upcoming SHIELDS 🧠

I am pro shields.

I also think they open up a potential for really improving the combat system. Beyond just adding armour/resistance and being another item we can make into a loot stick (disc) the shields can come in the known materials (wood/stone/metal/gem) and they could have different abilities.

One of which I have thought about greatly:

Shield Bash
This would work on a cooldown basis and it can stun and/or knock back the mob. This will first and foremost be fun to use, giving us more control over fights. Add some sort of skill, rather than just run fast and grapple faster.

For example: player 1 is reviving player 2, but then a wild stock starts charging player 1. Player 3 jumps in a shield bashes the wildstock either knocking it out of the way or stunning it. Player 2 gets revived as player 1 and player 3 finish off the wildstock.

Not only will that be useful as it’s prevented someone from dying but it will also give the players involved a reason to get ‘hyped’ and spam ‘lets go!’ meaning they’d want to repeat that adrenaline rush (which also shows/proves their skill) and resulting in more hunting.

The skill cap will also show when players start to combine this ability with other people’s shield bashes or bombs :slight_smile:

AND above everything else, this isn’t a crazy idea that is so whacky that doesn’t fit in the Boundless universe. Unlike “when we block something, mobs get teleported 100 metres in the sky” although that would be hilarious, it would be ridiculous.

Thoughts?

13 Likes

Oort shield power when loaded with Oort shards. 100 shards per use as to not be extremely op

They fly up with a mighty bash, and the rest of the group destroys them with slingbows before they hit the ground.

I can already see the new fun events now.

Spitter Skeet Shoot:
One shield bashing player (the judge) lines up the spitter. A group of up to say 5 other players then take aim as the judge bashes the various critter into the sky.
The player who gets the kill wins the round. Rounds can vary based on players or location, weapon type, augments.

2 Likes

If there were to be a shield type/forge thing that did knock the enemy up, any more than 10 blocks would be too much i think. But knocking it up a little bit could act as the stun i suppose. But that last suggest was my joke suggestion of a ‘bad’ suggestion :joy:

1 Like

Possible abilites:

Shield stasis: emit a pulse that temporarily freezes time around creature before it regains its temporal friction.

Shield wall: two shield bearers slam the ground together create a impenetrable barrier stunning livestock when charging.

Shield throw: ranged release of shield to push creature off course to protect ally that does not see said threat.

Shield charge: speed up movement for short duration and charge enemy dealing damage and shoving creature.

Oort pulse: energy is emitted from shield in AOE and all nearby allies phase out of space and creatures focus shield bearer.

Wrecking ball: shield bearer uses grapple from high place and fortifies shield arm slamming into creatures randomly as he ricocheted off impacts.

3 Likes

Nah was a great suggestion. Especially if we can do it to unsuspecting people like @Ratchel :joy:

1 Like

Maybe can make a bouncey room with trampolines and bash each other back and forth!

3 Likes

:question: = Don’t understand. :+1: I like. :-1: = not a fan. :point_right: = indifferent

Shield stasis: emit a pulse that temporarily freezes time around creature before it regains its temporal friction. :question:

Shield wall: two shield bearers slam the ground together create a impenetrable barrier stunning livestock when charging. :-1:

Shield throw: ranged release of shield to push creature off course to protect ally that does not see said threat. :+1:

Shield charge: speed up movement for short duration and charge enemy dealing damage and shoving creature. :+1:

Oort pulse: energy is emitted from shield in AOE and all nearby allies phase out of space and creatures focus shield bearer. :question: If you mean it taunts mobs to attack the user, like increasing the threat generation by a certain amount, i like that :+1:

Wrecking ball: shield bearer uses grapple from high place and fortifies shield arm slamming into creatures randomly as he ricocheted off impacts. :point_right: I like the idea of combining it with height, which the players can either jump of a height or use their grapple to gain said height :+1:

1 Like

So shield stasis is kind of like a stop motion for x seconds.

Oort pulse: yes, like a taunt with fanciness.

Wreaking ball: more for fun, even though less practical. Would be highly enjoyable with a chaotic factor. This would be funny.

1 Like

Ahh I see, so stop motion is basically a stun? Stops the enemy for x seconds?

1 Like

Yes, but at range. So think shield throw but with some “oort tech” electricity pulse. Could use fragments of warp stone or something as fuel.

1 Like

Ahh I see, nice idea :slight_smile: I don’t like the idea of shields having fuel, like augments, but thats where a cooldown works very well :ok_hand:

1 Like

I think i would like to plain with the shield from hig altitude or when hard hitted by wildstock :parachute:

1 Like

This whole thread rules!

4 Likes

I want a skill with shields that puts a bubble around me. I don’t really care what the bubble does though, lol. Maybe boosts all armor rating by 5 inside?

3 Likes

I think it would be hilarious if it was just a taunt and the creatures pushed you around in your bubble, while unhurt.

1 Like

That’d be fun, lol. It’d be cool if the bubble radius was the same as bombs’ blast radius too.

Now that’s a cool idea!
Also when making forged shields how about reflection and refraction as powers.
reflection would bounce a projectile back at the creature that shot it and refraction could heal you half the damage the attack would have caused.

4 Likes

This sounds super fun too. Parachute shields that grant feather fall!

1 Like

Basic shield block
Blocks incoming attacks.

Shield push.
Push enemies away. (No damage)

Defensive Buff
Bang your shield with your lance for an armour buff(for you and players close to you) but also makes creatures target you.

Ground bash
Drop from high places onto your shield creating a shockwave causing damage and knocking back creatures and stunning them but also stunning yourself for half the stun time of the creatures. The higher you drop from the bigger the shockwave radius and increased damage and knock back.

Shield charge. Run into mobs with your shield knocking them back and causing damage.

Reflecting ranged shots back at enemies. Some kind of aiming system for reflecting back projectiles.

Charged shield throw. Longer charge grants bank shots to up to 3 creatures.

This is all I have for now.

4 Likes