My suggestion towards what should be worked on first @Monumental

I imagine everyone has their own opinions on what needs to be done first based on their own world view. But…they gotta do as they see fit.

Boundless may have many issues but engagement isn’t one. :slight_smile:

Of course, we won’t know until we start digging into the analytics but I suspect the game’s biggest issue is short-term retention (or “churn”). Once a player gets far enough into the game, I suspect engagement is off the charts.

13 Likes

Yes, yes, and yes. Bingo. The biggest issue facing Boundless is exactly that and, as you stated previously, focusing on the NPE as one of the first things out of the gate is wise and will pay dividends.

4 Likes

There is absolutely nothing wrong with forging.
It should be a challenge to get good items otherwise everybody would only walk around and use maxed out tools/items.
This would completely ruin the market ingame and it would also ruin the game. People will get bored (even faster) and quit playing the game.

What I think is that people need to understand the forging process and all of its ingredients a bit better before shouting out that forging is completely RNG. (because it is not)
It is all about manipulating the forge in order to get the tool/item that you want to have.

I found out in a short time how to forge maxed out tools testing forging in the creative world.
So make use of the creative world and play around with the forge there. It does not cost you any ingredients and you can test the forging untill you figure out how it works.

The ‘forge’ class in a MMO like this would become obsolete if we all can forge the best tools/items.

Also it gives great satisfaction when forging good items/tools. Don’t ruin the forging, again, there is nothing wrong with forging as it is.

Just my opinion…

8 Likes

Everyone has their own views BUT i agree on forging with you. ITs a challenge, its RNG, its just a way to use up materials etc. I don’t forge but leave it up to the experts that do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly. I don’t care much for farming, so I leave that to the players that do like farming.
They pay me for forged items, I pay them for farming items.

That way it stays fun for all of us.

1 Like

In my opinion forging is too easy, looking at how many forged items are available in the game. I mean, almost everyone is using (or looking for) the high-end forged tools and highest tier of food. The lower tiers of tools/food should also be used in the game to create a bit more of depth. It will make progress slower, but I suspect that it is a bit more immersive and a feeling of making progress. Level 10 players using teaching pies and forged AOE hammers just seems wrong. Maybe we should introduce a minimum level on certain items. Like Teaching pie requiring at least level 40, while the teaching loaf might require only level 25. Same for high tier tools.

4 Likes

I say abolish coins and the economy and the timers won’t matter much. I think the economy will be affected negatively for a bit and then balance out somewhat to the “new normal”. Most people will find they don’t need to spend the coin when they can just craft it themselves with next to no timers.

Should be interesting though, I don’t craft at all, I just buy most things these days.

EDIT: I think many people want zero timers like other games have, but most if not all of those games have no economy. Creativerse, Satisfactory, etc. Sadly Boundless is not only a creative sandbox, but an MMO with some minor RPG aspects of an economy. Removing the RPG aspects along with the timers would make perfect sense.

What is your ratio of “I had to reset because RNG” to “I got what I wanted”? In my experience, even using all sorts of techniques, it’s something like 20:1 when going for mid to high level stuff. That doesn’t feel like a “challenge” to me at all.

2 Likes

simple thing to help the game is to put build a mailbox in the tutorial

I think some of the timers are absurdly long… and some of the quantities required by pre crafting make even more absurd. It also forces a lot of us to horde ridiculously sprawling oversized builds to accommodate the required inventory and machines to compensate it…

But on the flip side there would need to be some major game rebalancing to abolish the timers completely. Gathering the crafting resources in quantity to craft takes time, so to make a functional economy that players fill the jobs to make it work requires something to make it worth while that the player population spreads enough that all the jobs are covered.

To me this seems like the the endless economy debate that stalled and derailed the planned monthly updates so long ago.

I wish for more depth and solid content before this has more traction….

Just a personal opinion :grimacing:

1 Like

Quick list @monty1 :

1. There is a need to stress test the game and see what it can handle. Apparently when released it could not handle the load of players. Prior to anything this is probably a good place to start.
  2. New player experience - #1 issue that caused myself and many others to quit. Luckily I came back, I know of quite a few who didn’t.
  3. More content or some semblance of an end-game that keeps veteran players engaged. Unless you go full on sandbox. Minecraft technically has no end game, nor most creative builders.
  4. Communication, and it seems that is off to a perfect start.
4 Likes

Wether they keep timers or get rid of them one thing is for sure they have the ability to acquire the minds necessary to completely rewrite the whole base of this game so let’s just see where they take boundless. I have some faith that they will do the right thing and if not it’s no big deal because other games are out there or coming out and I definitely got my money worth out of this game.

1 Like

Forging should be less RNG based but otherwise agree.

I only get what I want now. Gem tools and below I can make any tools/items that I want to make.

If I want to make a slingbow with Max Damage, Max Range and Max Multishot, then I just make it in 1 go. I dont even use deconstruct resin anymore.
100% success rate on Gem tools/items and below.

Lucent tools are a pain and I did not look into that in detail to max forge them as I think Lucent tools are a waste of ingredients.
For 1 Lucent maxed out tool I can have 3 Gem maxed out tools. So I prefer to have the Gem tools.

Forging Gem tools/items and below are no longer a challenge for me.

Challenge still for me is:

• Clear Weather totems
  • Lucent tools

I find forging too difficult and too much RNG. I can’t imagine getting anything I want in a single attempt. I’m a noob at forging, but it has been taking me 5-10 attempts (deconstructing) to make liquid breakers with any level of durability and the exact right level of AOE. I am following the methodology to forge anything. If what you all are saying is true (can get what you want in one try, forging is too easy, RNG isn’t an issue), then I must be doing something wrong or the guide could be improved, but I think the reality is somewhere in the middle.

Personally I think it’s too hard. It requires either too much time for me to gather the materials myself or too much money for me to buy the materials. I don’t feel like I can charge a high enough price to cover the amount of materials I use on average, because I lose so much in my multiple attempts.

AOE Tools are harder to forge and specially in combination with a decent level of durability.
Don’t forget what you are trying to make here is pretty much end game tools.

I consider AoE tools to be the next progression after gem tools. I consider lucent to be endgame. Quirky lootsticks are pretty endgame too.

Do you have a guide or video for this? If I could do that at a reasonable cost I would start forging regularly. I’ve tried asking around for help with this and have never gotten any tips that could get close to what you’re claiming.

1 Like

Claiming ? It is true.

Come to Gellis and look at my ‘Perfectly Forged Items Museum’. It has 332 maxed out tools/items.
I made the building + forged all those tools in 2 weeks only.

On all 332 items I did not use deconstruct resin.

Video to show I am not claiming anything, but telling the thruth. :grinning:

I didn’t mean to imply you were lying, just that it is a lofty claim when I haven’t seen any guides that get close to it.

That video doesn’t appear to show any forging, so I don’t know what it’s supposed to show me about your ability to forge perfect max gear on the first try every time.

2 Likes