My take on rock-stone xp removal and plots

But that gets into the value of real estate… What determines the value of real estate?

As an antique seller once told me, “it’s not about what it’s worth to me, but what is it worth to you.”

say someone did this on the best planet for mining whatever resource youre looking for. youre literally unable to get to 99% of the resources without some serious kung fu treachery. would this be griefing even though the game explicitly encourages it?

Let’s use a current, real example: the PS hub on Biitula. I don’t know anyone who would argue that that’s not a valuable piece of real estate.

… How many plots is that? How long would it take a player to acquire that many plots? How many people have MORE placed plots and don’t reap the same benefit from them?

1300 plots. i cant imagine doing that on one character without buying cubits. theres probably people who only buy plots to make their empty little “hills have eyes” cities, probably tons.
i’ll tell you what about that real estate price. theres swaths of claimed plots around it with nothing on them. i dont know if its by design or if its specualtion on the future value of the land there, but i went to bituula for some lamella’s or something, was like a 2km walk to find unclaimed land. i put the value at the very accurate price point of “astronomical”.

Hate to tell you, but… that did not start out as 1300 plots, even if that’s the number today. That hub was laid down after the first week, and the footprint was probably more like 4x4.

And its value was - and IS - independent of the number of plots used in building it.

See this post if you want the details from my viewpoint

Otherwise the short version of it from me is. I am concerned about how it may impact the newer players. and how much more it will slow them down from leveling up.

1 Like

i agree trundamere. they should just limit the number of tables you can gain xp from at once. like after the 10th active table, you can still make the same number of stone, you just dont get exp from it.

ingvar, ps hubs are an exception and brilliant genius. a footfall masterpiece and a stellar example of a valuable contribution to the community. at this point trying to compete with fallon would probably take more genius than most people have and its sort of a natural monopoly. any other portal network is less robust and fully featured. i dont know how we got on the topic of real estate value so intensely, but i do believe that there are some loose ends in the design of the xp system and some unrecognized opportunities with how cubits work.

1 Like

Well, I can tell you how we got here - I dragged us here. I’m trying to make the point that the value of what you’ve built and plotted has much more of an impact than the total number of plots, and that a lot of the most valuable sites in the game were made with a quantity that anyone could acquire by about lv.15 or lv.20.

… Which gets back to the question of how someone wins at “real estate pvp”, to which the answer is “about 16 plots and value added”.

How many plots is someone even supposed to have before they’re considered a threat?

Actually, the current meta is so obvious that it’s practically a requirement of the game. Its stopped players from experimenting (in this area) because it was so obvious, a natural consequence of progression.

There are easier methods already in game being ignored due to the prevalence of it.

Outside of that though I agree with you 100%. And now the devs have basically declared that having a crafter alt is an exploit.

I’m not sure how the real estate conversation aligns with the clear statement that this is not about “forcing players to buy more cubits”. I guess overall my take is that I’m still taking it in.

1 Like

I’m questioning the assertion that this has some significant negative effect on anyone else. I really don’t get it.

1 Like

In my opinion, you either respect the fact that it hurts their feelings, or you can waste a million years trying to make them come up with some objectively reasonable answer.

I haven’t seen a single suggested “fix” for this “problem” that doesn’t involve making sure that we have “no child left behind”.

The only possible way to do this is to shame/punish achievers.

Lord, pardon my generation x is showing.

Heheh… Don’t worry, you’re forgiven. I was born on the tail end of that.

my point is more along the lines of brute force if you dont have a great idea like the premier portal hub. or these big ass empty cities in places like bituula. that bothers me to no end. ive walked through some amazing looking ghost towns, owned by one person. im talking about people wanting to try to be vicewarden or whatever, AFTER this exploit is removed. theres a lot that is broken by this exploit, and theres a lot that is going to be broken after it is removed.

my highest character is like level 32. my crafter… gathering materials to make teaching pies no less lol. i wont even get to enjoy something that i thought i discovered myself, and this change will create two classes of people. those who got a chance to use it, and those who havent. im not even sure i think it would be better if it were removed just because of how powerful it is. sure since its got so much traction now the devs have to do something, but i guess we can start the arms race of finding the next best thing.

I have offered a candidate.

1 Like

I guess this could go back and forth forever, but if there’s one thing I can state objectively, it’s that I’ve personally never felt threatened or disadvantaged by anyone who’s used this XP trick. If you asked me to pick them out of a lineup, I couldn’t even tell you who they are. I know more than a few folks who had infinitely higher Early Access backer tiers than I did, and I know people who spent enough money to buy a real planet in our actual solar system, so I know there were also some folks who got to where you’re talking about without ever leveling.

But in the end, I guess it really does come down to @Nightstar 's explanation about personal feelings - if it’s bugging you, then it’s just bugging you and that’s all there is to it. And you’ve been reasonable about this whole thing, and I don’t think either of us wants to camp here all night - it smelled like you were trying to step out about two posts ago - so I’m just gonna salute you and be on my way.

Maybe it does hurt some people? Maybe I’m just that insensitive?.. That last part seems entirely plausible.

1 Like

yeah i saw that. about to switch to my axe alt now :laughing::laughing:

^^ you can get to my little farm at alcyon on hubbit network or fairytales network.

I’m running over 90% efficient on tool use, it just depends on how much you want to pay attentioin but if you break through the one layer of soil there you get to a gleam floor that alerts you you’re done with the pass right away.

I also added a ton of request baskets so farmers don’t even have to move if they just want to dump their trunk.

(this is laughingly off topic but it’s also my current take on the rock-> stone issue)

There was some chat about how not to affect new players:

I just get the feeling that a significant part of the objections are not coming from those concerned with how it affects new players (this isn’t directed at you) but more that it is removing a short cut to gain plots with very little effort.

Just wanted to show my appreciation to all posters for keeping this thread civil!

Hopefully others are reading and recognising how people can have a discussion with opposing views without resorting to flaming and sniping!

:+1::ok_hand:

4 Likes

This doesn’t fix the „problem“ with it being used to level up alts. And therefore i think the devs are extremely likely to reject this.