My take on rock-stone xp removal and plots

For instance, no XP for my crafter smelting ore mined by my miner?

I didn’t fully understand this either.

No, sorry, just removing the rock to stone xp for alts.

You only gain xp from rock to stone on MAIN char up to level 20.

Hope that makes more sense!

This might create confusion for new players who quickly discover they can make alts and do so.

Also the game would need some way to define a char as a „Main“ which might make the situation very complex if you have a new player with a handful of alts that are all under level 20.

Asymmetrical rule sets are typically not the best way to go about things.

However, I did make some suggestions on changing the skills and they way to level skills here, which kind of ties in with what you said:

I don’t think I explained it very well, but it essentially boils down to you get better at a task (gain xp and level related skills) by doing the task.

If we take rock to stone as an example, you would only be levelling up the ‘mass craft’ skill as it doesn’t really involve anything else, and only if you have that specific ‘crafter’ skill tree active on that character.

Well, my view has always been that alts should not be allowed until you hit level 50 anyway, but that’s another discussion! (and way too late to implement anyway)

That’s not it, at least from what I’ve read.

I came to boundless from a game where this is how it works and one avatar can develop all skills.

This has been my preferred skill system (with or without the removal of ‘idle’ skills to maintain a cap) since UO.

I would like to say at this point I personally have no objections to the actions that the devs have taken.

This thread started off with trying to look at WHY people were getting so upset about it.

It morphed (as these things do) into suggesting ways to make it more palatable for those that were upset.

Most people have given the line of ‘it hurts new players and they won’t come back to the game’, but I have yet to read any complaint from a newish player that objects very strongly.

Whether the reason for the devs to kill that specific process is to stop alts from gaining 50 levels in 5 hours or to stop spamming easy levels for cheap plot gains is kinda getting away from the point I think.

I guess it was an attempt to get people to look at why they were getting so upset and hopefully look at things from a perspective other than their own.

Heh, sorry, that comes across as a bit pretentious, but can’t think of how else to put it!

2 Likes

It is an undeniable fact that converting rock into stone is a very fundamental action that everyone doses, as well as new players, And the new players can get a modest amount of exp from it, if they notice it or not. Just because a new player is not actively „abusing“ the situation doesn’t mean the situation isn’t helping them reach higher levels a bit faster then if they did not have the exp. It adds up.

Furthermore. In my experience in pretty much any game with a forum or reddit or other external site component, only a select amount of the player base will view the external site, and even less will create an account on it and post stuff on it, in other words,

No news, is No news, just because they are not speaking up doesn’t mean it will not effect them in some way.

So then you get people who are insane and then some, like myself, who try to speak up for them

:thinking:

I RP as a Barbaric Frost Troll King. Did you really expect me to be normal?

4 Likes

I thought about something last night.

Most games in this style, dont have levels. I believe that this was originally a bad decision.

Qeapons and gear should determine your strength, skills and health. The higher tier the higher the damage or health.

Same goes for machines, as long as the machine has the required power, spark and ingredients you should be able to craft said item.

All attributes are tied directly to buffs, brews and foods maybe even other goodies to beef up the characer, but not skill points or level.

So if I use Skill Sets I can still use the exploit but if I use alts I cannot? So I cannot have a miner alt and a crafter alt? Pretty sure I am in favor of this type of limit

This is because James asked for suggestions.

There is no possible game with trading of items and co-op pve that will not allow a person to twink their alts. There is no possible game that can fully control people playing with alts in whatever intended way. Multiboxing is a thing. Another way to throw money at a problem and gain access to multiple skillsets. Any powerful item you can give your character is “giving” them exp however indirectly it may be.
As long as you get any exp from any crafting this will be a thing. Collect whatever the most efficient thing is, give it to your “crafting alt” to get him to level 50, use a free skill reset.

all too true

<— GUILTY

I agree just giving them an AOE tool and teaching foods gives them access to xp before they even craft. So where is the line?

The line is where the easiest thing to do becomes the best thing to do. Change the AOE 3X3 to level 5, reduce the number of crafting tables you get exp from simultaneously. Change the pies after logout. This at least levels the playing field so new players can xp as a crafter normally but can’t be abused by minmaxing xp.

I am sorry but I am not sure what you mean by this change.

Not a fan of this. If I am preparing a lot of material for a build I only get xp for a portion of them? So I either sacrifice xp which ultimately leads to plots to build or I take more time. It takes long enough with the crafting times.

I am good with this or eliminating them altogether.

This is how I feel. Why choke us the whole way?
That makes everything very not-fun

5 Likes

They did give us more location slots.

Surely there’s something else?