My thoughts on the coming update and everyone's reactions

Hey just joining in on all the doom and gloom I’ve been seeing on the forums since the announcement post.

People tend to forget to breathe, step back and think before they comment and speculate. Sounded fun so wanted to try as well. :yum:

7 Likes

Dev: announces update
Player: “Nobody wanted this”
Dev: “We keep track of topics and a lot of people wanted this”
Player: “This adds no new content”
Dev: “There will also be a lot of new content”
Player: “This will kill the game”
Game: continues to exist
Update: drops
Player: “This update is great!”
:wink:

17 Likes

Ah yes, the cycle of game forums

1 Like

True, lol.
But for those folks in the middle-grounds between ‘this is awesome’ and ‘this is terrible!’, it goes a bit more like:
Devs: here’s some farming!
Me :woman_shrugging:
Devs: here’s some plotting reworks!
Devs: here’s some emojis and stuff!
Devs: sovereigns!
Me: meh
Devs: universes?
Me: :zzz:

I’m not angry or upset about the last year+ for updates and I won’t quit the game… but I play a lot less because we’ve had such a long streak of boring updates.
I am excited about the ‘big’ update for content teased alongside this one however, and I hope it comes along with several needed bug fixes for Mac (I can dream).

7 Likes

2 Likes

Does it mean we can play boundless off-line?

You will as soon as this is introduced.
At the moment it’s an announcement on what’s being worked on.

1 Like

Ill start playing boundless again if this happens.

1 Like

I’ve always enjoyed a fresh start in certain types of games. Fresh starts in survival games are exciting.

2 Likes

We are trying to get some new configs and biome rules meaning the progression and worlds for the default user universes will feel very different!
Wont go into too much detail just yet (in case i cant get it working or the balance right), but my plan is to squish progression to fewer planets in the “User Universe” (since building worlds takes a while) while adding more gameplay variations between biomes.
The plan is that players can also build worlds like the ones in the MMO is they also wish to keep it classic.

There is also another big content drop unrelated to this which will arrive in the same patch hopefully so MMO players have new shiny things to play with.

28 Likes

Thanks for the further clarification @rossstephens!

I firmly believe that this is exactly what happened to the hunter and why now they don’t want to share stuff unless they are completely sure it’s working.

4 Likes

I hope that’s not the case. When you make a mistake, or something doesn’t work out, the best thing to do is to explain what you tried, why it didn’t work, and what you plan to do in the future. Hiding from your problems amplifies them more than making them go away.

4 Likes

Exactly. I’d personally prefer not to know what’s coming to the game until it’s time for testing and release. Like pulling off a band aid, don’t tell me just do it!

3 Likes

They should have said that it was delayed or something a while ago.

But my point is that they don’t want to share a lot of things now unless they know it’s actually going to be ready or without saying if it’s coming any time soon, like the shields.

2 Likes

good to know we’ve got some variety in upcoming updates

3 Likes

From what I understand from reading through the forums is that they use to have a public roadmap and was very transparent but folks got in a tizzy if stuff was held back because it was blocked for whatever reason or issue they had.

If your going to be eviscerated for having to put something on hold and your being transparent that causes people to dial back transparency.

I would like a public roadmap too and more transparency but apparently they have been burned by that and choose not to deal with it.

2 Likes

It’d be nice to know what the deal is with the wraith, ground basher, worms and titans

3 Likes

I think they want to overhaul the whole thing.
One of the most common complaints om hunting is that mobs are boring and easy to predict.

So i hope that they want to work on the AI for mobs, can you imagine having Titans but all of them are exactly the same, just different 3d models? I seriously hope that we don’t get something like that lol.

3 Likes

Yes we need smart mobs. I want a jurassic park feeling of anxiety when hunting. Lure me and others come in for the kill.

7 Likes