My thoughts on the coming update and everyone's reactions

From what I understand from reading through the forums is that they use to have a public roadmap and was very transparent but folks got in a tizzy if stuff was held back because it was blocked for whatever reason or issue they had.

If your going to be eviscerated for having to put something on hold and your being transparent that causes people to dial back transparency.

I would like a public roadmap too and more transparency but apparently they have been burned by that and choose not to deal with it.

2 Likes

Itā€™d be nice to know what the deal is with the wraith, ground basher, worms and titans

3 Likes

I think they want to overhaul the whole thing.
One of the most common complaints om hunting is that mobs are boring and easy to predict.

So i hope that they want to work on the AI for mobs, can you imagine having Titans but all of them are exactly the same, just different 3d models? I seriously hope that we donā€™t get something like that lol.

3 Likes

Yes we need smart mobs. I want a jurassic park feeling of anxiety when hunting. Lure me and others come in for the kill.

7 Likes

Transparency or not, thereā€™s always going to be folks getting their feathers all riled up. Its a part of the industry that you cannot avoid. This team is trying to avoid people getting their feathers riled up, but by not being transparent, the folk wanting transparency (such as myself) gets really annoyed when users like @rossstephens comes in with extremely vague information. Its just about as bad as telling us nothing, because what he has said is pretty much that. Nothing. Thereā€™s no new information, just ā€œSure, thereā€™s stuff comingā€. Yeah, we know this already.

I think its time for @james and company to use some of those hard-earned Sovereign monies to hire one or two purely PR-focused employees for the game to open up way more transparency to us customers of the game, so the developers themselves donā€™t have to continue being hounded on a day to day basis with things like this.

I mean, come on. Think about it.

3 Likes

I think even just having a community leader volunteer to sign an NDA and have them help handle communication and optics would be plenty for a project moving at this pace.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, sounds great, looking forward to seeing what you all bring us and greatly appreciated here as always! :slight_smile:

The User Universe does sound like it might be the answer to an issue, as I told someone privately, Iā€™m not sure how to fix without stripping depth/making into Boundless something very different: that it seems to me (could be wrong but for sure in at least some cases I know/read of) that weā€™re losing what could otherwise be great additions to the community due to the early learning curve, and slowness at the outset compared to some other voxel building games. For some, it is just too much, they hit issues early and give up - but if they had a way to get their feet wet before deciding to maybe join the main MMO universe, this could be the answer to that here? That the User Universe could be made to be faster and easier going - or have options where a new player could make it such? A Simplified Mode option of some sort?

5 Likes

Iā€™m mean if a kid throws a tantrum because they arenā€™t getting the new PS5, you donā€™t just go buy it for them because. The kid has to learn their lesson and be patient and respectfulā€¦and spend some time in the corner. Maybe next Christmas lol

5 Likes

This has concerned me a bit too. I had help from the community to get past that curve. I will be curious to see how this develops.

I remain optimistic.

3 Likes

If a kid throws a tantrum, donā€™t you wait for them to chill out and then discuss the issue with them again when they have calmed down?

2 Likes

This is overly critical because even with 2000 sovereigns at 20 a month is 40k before taxes. Take the taxes out and then you have to deduct the expense of the servers they have to have for the sovereigns. So at the end of it you donā€™t even have enough money to even hire half an employee.

I have already seen where folks have made similar statements and what people fail to realize is that they are not making 300k off sovereigns at least not yet, maybe in a year as long as enough people keep paying for their sovereigns, but not just starting out.

So while you thoughts have merit and I am sure the team would love to do what you suggest however I am sure way more $10 month planets were the majority of what was bought and so financially speaking what you suggest is likely not financially sustainable for them yet.

I agree with the vague statement, but the rest is a bit harsh.

6 Likes

I love you, James. :wink:

We truly needed this response, as is obvious from the 50+ hearts you got on a comment on a random thread about the next update. XD

Thank you for this communication.

and Ross, geez. This is great to hear. :heart:

4 Likes

I havenā€™t seen the forums calm down in over a year. So when that happens maybe they will sit us down and have a talk with us.

6 Likes

Oh come on, there were likeā€¦ 3 days between the sov update and this announcement where there werenā€™t any (major) complaint threads around!

4 Likes

ladders and pants confirmed!

2 Likes

tenor (5)

2 Likes

Lol everyone is reading that and considering if the thing they want most can be shiny. Like, new chisel shapes can be shiny if itā€™s a shiny blockā€¦ Titan skin might have reflective propertiesā€¦

My real guess is weapons and shields, and mayyybe a new simple mob designed around melee fighting. Iā€™m only guessing itā€™ll be more than just swords and shields because Ross said about as much content as farming, which in my mind was huge. But as an adult I wonā€™t get lost in my own hype so I wonā€™t be disappointed if it only ends up being Shiny Earthyam.

6 Likes

well, I donā€™t really care about ladders and pants
only messing around - in my case taking ā€œshinyā€ literally is a part of a joke;
shiny ladders do sound funny and ridiculous though haha; so do shiny pants (ā€œspace pants!ā€)

I expect the crafting stations which also means crafting reworked to some extent. And the creatureā€“trophy-made totems.

2 Likes

How most users see applications/games:

9 Likes

Oh god ainā€™t it the truth bro! @xyberviri

1 Like