My thoughts on the coming update and everyone's reactions

A little too much of that for an excuse.

Some things are beyond easy to do and are not done for whatever reason. Now finally rumored to be the problem solver.

You guys speak of content and complexity yada yada but forget how long this game has been out and that there were people before you and a huge population you never experienced.

They had to keep it going but somehow they bled out continued. The content is creative stuff and not for everyone and has always been this way! Bled out tons of players and the concept never changedā€¦

Farming sounds good on paper but look how that is. Why canā€™t things be improved and why so much time for this? Instead theyā€™re working on single player worlds or whatever this thing isā€¦ for the ā€œotherā€ customers.

It just grinds my gears and i guess the lack of transparency makes it all worse.

I feel i have to explain my point of view. its far from neg nancy. I hope they finally go in the right direction and take this red headed runt of a game and turn it into something. I really have no clue why weā€™re still here discussing content in a mmo for years now.

I am not calling you or anyone out specifically and this is just an in general post so please no one take this personally.

Complexity is relative to the game and I think many forget that this game is written in LUA and LUA by default it is very easy to end up programming yourself into a corner that takes longer than what you the ā€œconsumerā€ would like. Because of how complex LUA is, however, the fact that they are still trying to pump out other functionality while they try to solve that does not mean they are not listening or forgot about it.

I think as consumers we tend to forget that programming is not this magical thing that developers can just blink their eyes and make it so. As a developer I can tell you that we always have the best intentions but we cannot always deliver things as fast as we and the consumer would like. Because, on paper everything can look nice and ā€œeasyā€, but when you go to code it problems and complications arise sometimes and they are not always easy to get around. Just be glad they do not give up because many devs will just give up on a game they are working on and say umph this and start another game never to touch that game again, bailing on the consumers.

I am not saying that folks donā€™t have validity in what they say, however how you say things has impact and many posts sound overcritical based on how they are written. I can tell you from experience that over critical customers whether intentional or not and constant complaining about things being behind is always reasons dev teams use to decide on dialing back transparency.

It is easier to deal with complaints of no transparency, then complaints of ā€œWhy isnā€™t this ready, you said it was going to be in the next patch?ā€ etc. I know I have only been here only about a year, but from what I have read on the forums and I have gone way back. This seems to me to be a constant thing on the forums and while I called for more transparency before the Sovereigns release now I think I understand a little bit better why they have the no roadmap approach.

I think if everyone chilled out and just took things as they devs present them and stop complaining we might get surprised with some sort of road map at some point. I mean look at all the complaints and criticisms the post has generated. Even on this post that I intended to be a logical approach to what is going on and even @james responded to my request about verifying the live universe nor was the game being phased out in anyway, people still seem to be critical of things rather than going ā€œWell cool the game is safe and it isnā€™t going anywhere. Lets wait and see what they gotā€. For the love of everything holy let the developers breath one day without one of us criticizing them. I would love to wake up one day and the developers have decided to share a roadmap with us, but from personal experience until we the community get off their backs at every turn about every decision they make I am sure there will continue to be no public roadmap.

4 Likes

I think people are different and often you put emotion with an opinion without knowing the person.

Blunt brutal honesty wonā€™t always sound nice but it is just that.

Unless youā€™re insulting someone outside of his life and going personal then you need to take criticism as it is. They are there to help even if you think they could go %*&$ themselves.

To be honest the first time i left i made a stink about beacon reclaims on steam forums and they added it. I was precise and maybe others were too. So i know they can do it when they want. Take that as you will.

The official forums also breeds huge bias and stifled opinions, people dancing around what they want to say. Weā€™re all in it for the same thing.

Words have impact and how one chooses to word something conveys emotion by default. So ones choice of words does impact the way someone interprets it.

My Grandfather who served as a General said that effective criticism was nice, non-confrontational and provided concise details around the criticism. Blunt and brutal honesty does not have to sound mean or critical and I have learned this to be very true over my 15 year career in running businesses as a CEO.

In short the words criticism and critical are not synonymous with one another. You can give constructive criticism without being critical and is always the more effective approach.

3 Likes

i feel like this is pretty important to acknowledge, because its text on a screen. nobody can tell your tone of voice, so they just assume things based on your choice of words.

take it from a 13 year old. make sure you convey your message the right way
(please dont give me a thousand notifications to wake up to)

2 Likes

Confrontational is literally the story of the world. Give me a break please.

This is a game weā€™re talking about here and everything has to do with it. if you canā€™t handle critique the same way a chef handles yelp then i donā€™t know what to say.

People are different and thank ā€œgodā€ for that.

1 Like

But the point was in shorter terms it doesnā€™t have to be and being non-confrontational gets you further and that is just how I see it. ā€œI would like to buy the world a coke and live in perfect harmony!ā€

2 Likes

Sounds like someone is being overcritical of the community. Iā€™m sure there are people who would be hurt by the unnecessary emotion and negative generalisations that your words imply even if you didnā€™t specifically say or mean them.

Ok, flippant remark over.

For me, itā€™s a two way street. While the developers may feel that they donā€™t want to bother engaging with the community a lot because they feel like the community complains too much (which is itself a matter of personal opinion and not one that I particularly shared based on my experience and comparing it to other game forums), many of those complaints are derived from the very fact that theyā€™ve chosen to engage less.

Thatā€™s really not a concern thatā€™s going to just go away by suggesting that people should just ignore the apparent lack (there may be a plan, we just donā€™t know it) of a future plan and hoping that everything gets developed to the best standard without community feedback. Iā€™ve seen enough instances where updates have been suggested and where community feedback has helped make them better, and instances where no feedback was ever sought and where updates and revisions were required after the fact. The community isnā€™t just a curse, itā€™s a blessing too.

You could argue that the onus is on us as a community to behave better so that maybe, one day, we get more of the plan revealed and start getting back to the levels of communication that we had pre-launch. but thereā€™s a flip side to that too. The onus is also on the developers to engage the community enough that they donā€™t get fed up of waiting and not knowing, leaving the game with a slew of bad reviews in their wake. That works both ways too.

Same, would be glorious

In my opinion the main thing that has kept population down is the price point. Twice as expensive as Minecraft.

3 Likes

We had some one talking with us last night that literally said this is why they have not bought the game i said it was on sale and it was pointed out that im looking at steam and ps4 sales do not coincide with steam sales.

1 Like

Over critical not at all. Stating a fact, yes 100%. I clearly stated
from personal experience.

If you notice I said WE in my comments which include me in that criticism. As I have been guilty once or twice to digging in on the devs about transparency and roadmaps. But, I read the forums saw all the ā– ā– ā– ā–  they got no matter what they do and decided to back off.
Once again notice I used WE in these statements including me once again in the criticism.

So take my posts how you want over critical or not. I was not mean, rude and included myself in the criticisms and admitting I was part of it at some point too. I just love how folks like to twist things when they donā€™t like what they are hearing because they stop listening.

Flippant response over.

I am sorry you took it as over critical but I hope you understand now that it was not my intent.

2 Likes

I see the devs as myself at age 14, putting my shoes on and tying them before heading to a dinner that I didnā€™t even plan to go to until my sister put on a huge fit saying everyone expected me to be there, and a portion of the community is my sister in the car honking as if thatā€™s going to make me tie my shoes any faster.

8 Likes

As far as Iā€™m concerned, next week is the release of WoW Shadowlands. Then there will be Cyberpunk 2077. Boundless is currently giving me NO reason whatsoever to keep playing, or to want to play Boundless over any other game. The private servers and junk, thatā€™s nice, but itā€™s yet another ā€œnot meant for the wider audienceā€ update, to change from the various ā€œhereā€™s a technical updateā€ we got during 2020.

Though Iā€™ll keep an eye on whatever is that ā€œbig thingā€ thatā€™s coming, hoping itā€™s actual content I can use in a build. Even if the next update is JUST a fix for the crappy snow effect, Iā€™d be (slighly) fine with it.

1 Like

as an alaskan, i feel like the snow effect hits home!

2 Likes

This is an absolutely brilliant analogy.

3 Likes

Not read everything in this thread honestly, but I saw a few comments about a universe reset. I think we need a ā€œfresh startā€ event to rekindle the excitement that a lot of people get from that early game race-to-the-top that is only possible with a reset, but without the decimation of all our progress that comes with it. I think this is possible in a few ways.

ā€œSeasonalā€ Universe, separate from the existing universe that seasonally resets every x months could be interesting. Think of it as vanilla Boundless with more of an emphasis on ladder progression. Who can gather the most prestige in a season? Wealth? Meteor victories? Etc. Let players who succeed in a seasonal universe carry over a prestigious title to the permanent universe at the end of a season.

Or, the rise of a new civilization in a galaxy far, far away. No co-mingling with the existing universe. Begin with a new race, with its own culture, its own ā€œtechnologyā€ and different living conditions. Potentially in the future these unique cultures could meet up in the future to have a combined universe, but they would develop entirely independently of the existing race for a decently long period of time. This would be an amazing way to creativity add new races and give them depth and culture unique to our own.

8 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s meant for the wider audience, just not the current MMO audience or the hardcore audience. It opens the game to a wider audience. Thatā€™s itā€™s purpose. If you have run out of things to do in the game, that update is not for you. If the game does not offer the single player or private multiplayer gamemode youā€™re looking for, that update may be for you.

8 Likes

Autumn is the season for new games, and with the next update being what it is, I donā€™t blame anyone for taking a break.

If itā€™s between that and doing the same repetitive grind and/or building when your heart isnā€™t currently in it then getting SO tired of the game youā€™d delete it forever- take the break for sure.

2 Likes

Sounds great ! As long as lamblis dosent disappear over night then Iā€™m stilll playingā€¦But if lamblis and things change im ok with starting a new begining whatever that evolves into.I donā€™t understand the drama about it in my eyes as long as boundless isnā€™t shutdown and I can still play the game then thatā€™s all that matters.Boundless is my favorite game and to hold my attention for so long us a miracle as usually Iā€™ll get bored and move onto something else.Big love to devs for making such an awesome game.:heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse:

4 Likes