My thoughts on the coming update and everyone's reactions

I see two necessary conditions for a full reset:

1. There is no chance they do it before a blueprint system. With the release of the system they would pre-blueprint ALL of our builds for us to encompass everyone who doesn’t play between the announcement and the implementation/wipe. After that it’s something we do manually.
  2. It will accompany an update that will change the worlds themselves. Example would be @DKPuncherello’s desired 30 and 60 degree sloped blocks coming into play which would require completely redesigned biomes to take advantage of how much more realistic and smooth the world would be.
4 Likes

I think that this could be achieved using privately hosted universes. If there is modding, or extreme world creation, you could even do Path of Exile style leagues with new weird variations each time. For example, an Exo League: There is only one T1 planet, the rest are T7 exos that cycle every 3 days

4 Likes

While a reset would be fun, it’s just papering over fact there has been no substantial new content for a long time. Would starting over from nothing and competing with everyone again on a level playing field be fun? Yes, but when we’re back to having the whole universe portalable and sitting on full stacks of max forged lucent slingbows, there will again be nothing new to do.

3 Likes

Yes i agree they should find a way to allow you to go though some sort of portal similar to creative ones,

The exist game has modding and servers have data feeds, logically adding things like Wealth, meteors, prestige, etc would might be possible, if not we could request the data feed be added similar to how beacons can now be exported were recently added…

This is literally what the whole “upcoming private universes” + “creative mode local” + “server modding” is.

4 Likes

I had some friends playing and also a neighbor next to me when i recently restarted. All newbies and you see the same pattern. They build a “base”, realize there is nothing left to achieve and quit. They find machine crafting times poop and always that same complaint. Gems are behind some cash and they see no purpose to it as it brings them nothing new.

Not everyone has fun making specific colour homes and masterpieces and most are not even capable.

If you don’t know about the market then you won’t engage in that either. The cost of just a plinth to trade is quite high for a newb. Forging is restrictive and the same on all materials as we all know. You’re just bleeding matts to forge stuff, and to start out you need some savings.

Add it all up and only people with guild influence,builders or tycoon types stick around. The rest are social and do hunts and stuff killing the same monsters for hours. Not attacking anyone here just saying it how it is.

There is a whole community of adventurers this game has not tapped into, the ones it had they lost, and it bled out the rest on the bomb nerf back when it was used for mining.

If this game would suddenly be f2p with some crazy titan, automated defenses and automation it would pick up huge amounts of people.

The LUA excuse i mean…i look at roblox and they got 12 year olds pumping out content.

They have their own ideas and deals clearly.

Alright, my choice of word might not have been the correct one, I’ll admit. So, ok, the “private server” update isn’t made for the MMO people who will want to keep playing in the main universe.
All I hope is that people hosting their own servers will create fun game-modes that Wonderstruck might want to implement in as options in ‘official’ creative worlds. But aside from that, this upcoming update isn’t going to be for people like me who just want to build in survival/creative.
Wake me up when there’s new non-seasonal blocks/items to craft. The shields have been teased for so many months now… ^^

I’m curious to see how Wonderstruck will implement a blueprint feature, seeing how there’s virtually not a limit to how many plots a beacon can hold, I can only imagine that the player would have to select a build plot by plot. Creative World would help a lot in that matter. Would the devs also give us some building-helper-features like Creativerse has, to re-build blueprints faster?

As part of the second point, I would add that, IMO, worlds should have more natural blocks of each type. The only 3 types of soil/tree/grass/rocks/etc aren’t enough. Maybe a secondary type of gleam block that would allow worlds to have more gleamy colors for us to hunt? How about a type of gleam that’s embedded in rocks like gems? Even visually, look at what Hytale is doing with its gems. Imagine if we had stuff like that in Boundless caves! Imagine if there were more things like goo and starberries hanging around, like vines, leaves and stalactites!

@Havok40k’s seasonal-reset idea could/should also come with a set of about 1 to 3 new crafted-blocks/items added to the game for all players per season, so that that whole season idea impacts the players who aren’t playing in that seasonal mode.
I think there should also be small dungeons too, hand-made with crafted blocks. I for one would LOVE to submit a small dungeon design.

3 Likes

This seems to be what killed it for me, too. I’d wanted creative worlds 4 EVAR, and when they finally dropped I thought that it would be the game-changer that I’d always hoped for… but now I’ve been staring at my creative world for almost 2 months and all I’ve managed to do is waypoint some nice locations and dig a giant hole. There’s been SO much other stuff to do since I was waiting for this change that I guess I moved on emotionally without realizing it. Will probably just let my world expire when the fuel runs out now… :roll_eyes:

And, real talk - if Cyberpunk wasn’t late again then I wouldn’t be here or on any forum for the next 2 months.

2 Likes

I can relate… I’ve barely put down a few foundations and walls in the last two months. I have more plans than time now with Shadowlands so close.

2 Likes

We can keep the worlds we have in a separate universe so nothing changes there, and let new worlds with that voxel-essense-warping-seeming thing (which seems to me to also be why doors arent >1 block wide) become the default universe. I would be apoplectic and profoundly butthurt and want to ragequit if life and the builds on our universe as it is now were ever wiped. A second public universe is called for instead, imo.

Even if 80’ sloped blocks would let me build a number of m fave style buildings more easily, Temple of Seti I, Ziggurat at Ur, Cappadocia, Armenian monasteries, and so on. My other big figure-it-out self challenge is the architecture of Sanaa (Saana?), I fell in love with Yemeni architecture as soon as I saw it, and we’re blowing it to smithereens so being able to rebuild in in Boundless would wipe away my many tears.

1 Like

I have a sense Boundless is the answer to the dream I thought Facepunch would take the lead on (using Unreal to my soul-cringing dismay) — the best moddable sandbox with the strongest bones, and nobody has convinced me despite my searching for this holy grail of games, none of these other games people complain don’t have all their features implemented here yet have the bones to carry a sandbox game that isn’t just for lua scripters… what you build in the game now is just a higher abstraction of modding with lua. You’re manipulating and informing and accessing methods and data from objects alll the time, and some of these have pretty wild ways of interacting. One of the mods I can totally see a yak-shaver type with the skills to support yak-shaving would jump into is a framework mod, someone else might make generic things with interesting extensible properties selected by proximal block properties or “a transform chisel” menu. There is a huge lot of gamers out there wishing this would come to pass, and I’m one of them who who wants it based in voxel. The load of Unreal objects are such a pain in the butt for developers, getting into mod dev mode is like planning a commute to an office that requires baymetric pressure acclimation coming and going.

Anyhoo, Bounless already is a sandbox game with ideas to discover as you go as to how to arrange things to make them do a new thing together. It’s also the solidest game of its kind that I’ve ever played (I haven’t played Terraria yet so don’t know what someone meant by a 3d Terraria, but I got it specifically because it’s highly rated and has a mod community. I can’t play with a piece of technology without wanting to peek under the hood and play with stuff, especially when I see other people doing both that and elegantly collecting information, making a spreadsheet, porting it to an awkward web thing, then voila, popping out a piece of magic in the final movement of a symphony of hermenrutics and creation.

2 Likes

Their loss…

Im sure i would have had to explain why the local sandbox and upcoming private worlds wouldn’t work on ps4 so in hindsight bullet dodged maybe?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

Reads your post

Narrows eyes at the advanced vocabulary and certain sentence structures.

“Are you a software engineer or something cool?”

4 Likes

I haven’t really done anything since farming Update lol but I still play Alot only pray we get :cookie: s one day as a Speed :cookie:,D:

3 Likes

I was. I AM!

I could have been, I got myself on the way but was more interested in/able to sketch out and try to spaghetti code and got really into figuring out if I could get people who can dev to make me a game that merged citizen journalism, archives, libraries, archaology, history, and a ground up postgis+time middleware and release it hopes of some people who play it catching the bug and turning into real investigative journalists, to make up for not getting into film school myself. :smiley: I get the concepts but have to hen peck at syntax and manuals for the technology and then narcolepsy elbows in and pfft. I like learning about refactoring and design patterns and the like but it’s like really digging science without being able to do science. The verbosity thing is just a defect I get tired of hiding sometimes and off it goes galloping…

I have done a lot of stuff I think is cool, but my life fell out of the west coast middle class and good health abruptly in early 2018 and I’m in a liminal space I’d be wise to continue emulating patience with until I’m done here in my yuppie-overrun redneck hometown, then the earth cooled and the rona came and time keeps on slippin slippin slippin…

4 Likes

Your words took me on a journey.

4 Likes

I don’t usually do new games because none are as cool as the one I’ve been doing for a year or more, but eventually I did all I could think of in my first non-tetris-like video game, This War of Mine, and wanted more of that crafting survival thing and remember the trailer that got me to buy ARK but being killed immediately on spawning into an official server (before they had official pve servers) over and over wasn’t drawing me in so oh then hey This War of Mine had a whole new season but this time I felt the absence of the tameable dinosaurs I saw in the trailer for ARK and only played through a few times, didn’t explore every corner and choice for new experiences, and went straight for an unofficial server out of curiosity and was immediately hooked and played nothing else until one of ARK’s big updates took more than a month to spit up its OS X port and then I remembered the trailer from Boundless that had inspired me to buy it way back at the same time as ARK while trying to find another game I’d love as much as This War of Mine and hoped maybe I’ll figure out the signup thing this time and maybe I’ll like it enough to not miss ARK and I saw this expesive DLC (at this point I’d fallen out of the middle class and was in shelters back in my hometown and desperately missing my cats (one bonded with my ex and he bonding with her after months of impatience with holding on to her for me was just too much of a positive change about him and she’d be living the high life with a person she bonded with so I let the “splitting up of the cats” that had been rescued together three times before I took them on… what in the world am I talking about… but yeah I spawned in on Raxxa and was immediately so hooked that even after moving to Duskmoor just in time to be wild with love for this game and have the dream city fall down around me… I hadn’t played long enough to understand why people were fleeing rather than coming together to overcome… but yeah tho I still miss tameable dinosaurs I’m all in with Boundless. If this starts to suck I’ll just go get fristruated discovering how much nothing else is anything close to Boundless and get some new incentive cards from Steam and be drawn into fond memories of games I’ve tried and given up on or got tired of but wanted the story and used the cheat guide to get through. I remember loving Tormentum and being spellbound by Doorways but had to hit the guide for both, I’m not a fan of puzzles unless they’re an intuition thing way more than iterative or look-everywhere & try-all-the-combos. But yeah, I had calzones yesterday, and my cat is sleeping on me and I found a pack of vivarin with one left that Imma gonna take because I woke up late and groggy because I forgot my cpap. Life is sweet, I love the cool weather, I hope the snow is crazy deep this year.

2 Likes

Exactly! I envy your way with words. :smiley:

1 Like

who. ::hops up and down:: ?

1 Like

Youuuuuuu did :grinning:

2 Likes