New idea - engineering skill path

Hey Devs,

I have a new idea. What if we had a skill path for “engineer”?

This skill type can build complex contraptions. Either placeable machine or mechanical moveable contraptions.

For example:

-Placeable turret for defending beacons on high tier planets.
-small mechanical followers that can either auto loot for you, provide light, defend you as a secondary weapon platform, help gather or mine, or just a travel companion.

• can create water mills or hydro power machines
    -can create machine that rotate things - parts of buildings or displays

My favorite is making engineer a skill tree where they can make little mechanical AI that help you do tasks and follow you around.

@james

Edit: also more ideas for this–

They could be powered by oort or gems as “crystal fuel” mixed with that grey and white non organic crop. Forget what it is called, but it can be the catalyst.

You could make it where only engineers can repair the little AI machines because they have the “skill” to. Giving business and coin to engineers and creating a niche roll for a segment of the population.

This would create a fun new aspect to the game and play on the mysterious oort technology aspect.

Also engineers could make attachable and detachable modules that wear out with use. Creating a market for engineers to sell things.

9 Likes

that’d be useful :smiley:

robot friend? :smiley: :robot:

sounds cool

more robot friends!

2 Likes

For the robot companion guy… I’d love it if there would be a way to set them up to patrol around your base and hold some sort of energy weapon, like a small rifle or even pistol of some kind. I also think it would be nice to have wearable armor that benefits the player in some way, like stat increases.

But I like the suggestion of the robot. Really fits the theme of the game which is suppose to be scifi.

4 Likes

defense roomba lol (please give robots)

yes^

1 Like

We pretty much have this skill tree it’s named “tech” not engineering though.

Love most of the ideas for new stuff but adding branches or complexity that are basically duplicates in the existing skill system seems overboard.

1 Like

I think it would be more reallocating and expanding upon, instead of duplication. Taking the place of maybe?

Edit: or just another way of doing things.

Complexity is good for mmos and I think it would bring more depth to rolls or jobs

Having things like this will create a sense of life in the oortian universe. Plus new skills, items, machines, and roles. It would effect all types of play which would be interesting.

Mining, gathering, fighting, defenders for builders on t5 and t6

Edit: it’s also another form of gameplay that could bring in more players, because they like the idea of building little robots and playing with them

2 Likes

Yeah if it makes people happy i for one have no issue renaming “tech” to “engineering”.

When we have a skill tree for building placeable machines and complex tools/contraptions, and you say:

Well that’s definitely duplication.

Ah, but this would be different then tech I think. One could be for tech which is crafting machines and crystominters.

Engineer could be for AI and robotics

Separate roles

2 Likes

I think we need a higher skill cap too, to go with it

(doesn’t have to be a lot, just a thought since we are getting more skills and may get more in the future)

1 Like

Yes. I would love to be able to craft a ‘farmer’ and stock him with fertilizer so he roams a predetermined patch and checks all nodes with in x area and fertilizes if check = false

3 Likes

Yeah that might be good.

But I was thinking of the idea of diversifying roles so we would have more mmo interaction.

The miner going to the engineer to repair his robot because he fell of a cliff lol.

Or a fighter repairs his robot or upgrades it with a new weapon.

Etc.

2 Likes

Well this is a scifi game and needs more scifi stuff in it.

I would love to see the robots done in a variety of tier levels that start all the way down at iron/copper tier… all the way up to exo gems… or just give us 3 to 5 different tier levels of robots that require different amounts of ancient tech materials and have different purposes.

One can be a guard, another can be an assistant that picks up stuff for you, maybe another can do basic crafting or even storage storing for you, another can be an extension of your inventory and requires you to interact with it to place stuff in its inventory, and maybe the last one can help with building things by bringing you materials from storage or possibly be a grapple platform that has a spotlight that you can remotely tell the robot to aim towards a specific spot.

I don’t know what other ideas you could have with little 1.5 block tall robots but they could come in a variety of forms: multi-legged (4-8 legs), bi-pedal humanoid, wheels, track and treads, and hovering engines. I would also like to see them be modifiable too. If they die, then you have to make another one. I also think it could have it’s own machine to craft it from along with any modifications you can upgrade the robot with.

I think it would be a really cool addition to the game and there’s a lot of possibilities that could be explored. Also, it has a lot of room to build off even if we got basic robots to build.

I’d love to have a hovering guard drone that fires energy bolts at enemies who aggro onto me. It could also mean that the stats these robots would have could be modified through skill trees specific to the player. Control could help directly affect the robot’s damage or movement speed as just a quick example.

I don’t think it would be impossible to implement them into the game. :+1:

Plus, I like the idea of being a drone pilot. lol

3 Likes

If your skill gets TOO high, your robots can rebel and form their own competing settlement.

1 Like

lol

10 chars

1 Like

I agree that it’d be awesome to have robots (especially functional ones), and some more sci-fi stuff (more unusual alieny stuff would be cool)

I think if there are tiers then there needs to be a specialization to tiers, for example copper is best for farming. Iron for mining. Gems for fighting.

Or something along that lines or else everyone will have the same robot

Need to keep them diverse so we dont get cookie cutters

2 Likes

I know you likely said this in jest but holy cow this is an absolutely amazing concept. Can you imagine instead of cities degrading when beacons die, alien AI coming in and taking it over and now we have dungeons (if you will) to fight against and try to reclaim for the citizens,

2 Likes

Joking aside, this could be a fun solution to build templates. If you make a bunch of bots, you can command them to re-build the contents of a beacon elsewhere. You’d have to keep them fueled and ensure they have the correct blocks, but they could just slowly do the build for you from the template, which would be “downloaded” from a beacon.

2 Likes

The fuel source could be a robo beacon and the bots would have to stay within the limits of the beacons reach. We could have different tier robo beacons using more advanced tech/materials. Goodness, my dreams are getting to high. I should probably stop.

1 Like

Yeah, I was joking. But I am totally here for robot NPCs that build and maintain their own settlements. I’ve even head-cannon’d them a bit.

Ancient automatons left behind by the long gone Oortians, fueled by powerfully dense compacted cores of oort stone, continue to build and maintain cities for their long vanished creators. They have even been observed to have developed some culture as well, wearing masks and creating new, nearly impossible, works of art.

But this thread isn’t about that! Let’s get some cool crafting and skills!!!