New Player Experience: Dealing with all the reserved empty plots

So basically because you give money you have more rights to land then anyone else in the game and should have no limitations on what you can and cannot plot? I was not able to early back the game however I have put tons of money into they game so maybe I should start using your point of view to make sure the people that aren’t spending enough money to outplot me from gaining any credible influence on any world. Between the seven accounts in my household I am pretty sure my money entitles me to at least a planet right?

1 Like

Here is one of the biggest fundamental problems with this game and why it will have a hard time - there have always been land wars and settlement wars and competition in an area where it isn’t needed. We need to break this model and just allow people to have whatever land they want.

We need to keep pushing for “private home based planets” that have PORTAL links IN GAME that will keep people immersed but still allow people to build where they want. I pushed a lot on this in my calls and was sad that James decided with a menu for version one. We need to keep on it so we can cut down on land wars for a game where you can have an infinite Universe… hopefully the new Devs see this and will work to stop this PVP and game destroy dynamic for footfall or I own this plot more than you.

Things calmed down because many left the game and those of us that where still here were able to live with each other – as we bring back people this problem will come back and the toxic part of it as well.

I don’t want to have to fight again like I did so hard on buffers… just to calm down the fights… we need more and better solutions.

1 Like

The solution is empty plots not being used that has not been returned to by the owner within thirty days that is not attached to a settlement should be returned to the wild 30 days is plenty of time for you to do something with the plots. All my plots are attached to my settlement where I’m building I may have stray plots here and there but when someone messages me hey can you remove certain beacons I remove them within a few days. I honestly forget about beacons and areas I might of plotted and welcome some of these empty plots going away.

Its your money. If the land is not already claimed and you want to put your money towards claiming a whole world, then go crazy.

A sovereign world might be a better investment, but who am I to tell anyone otherwise?

2 Likes

Go through your beacon list and just reclaim them remotely. You don’t need to wait for people to tell you. Everyone should do that.

This is short sighted and not needed. This is lacking the understanding of what happens in this model. Anyone that went through EA into Release know how bad that is and the fights. You don’t need the land I reserved… you have tons of planets to go build on. That is the answer. Go somewhere else and stop trying to take something I’m interested in.

2 Likes

Your money entitles you to as many planets as you want! They are called sovereign planets :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The world’s not black and white though. Reserved plots can become problematic, but don’t have to. For example, I have seen people protect good farming locations with empty beacons, and that’s a good thing in my book.

I think the direction that the devs originally chose was a good one. Don’t put too many automatic systems into place and resolve problematic situations with human intervention. If Boundless gets a few active “moderators” back, and maybe a few new systems in place to help newbies navigate reserved plots a bit better, it should be fine. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Sure I agree to an extent if they are using not just to plot out a planet to be a jerk. I saw the ■■■■ that happened with ultima and the plotting wars. This is basically I want to do what I want when I want because I can and it hinders and frustrates new players because old players can just plot them out. Basically you are saying it’s ok to allow mass plotting to force others to private planets.

I don’t think anyone is saying that here, and imho that’s something for humans to solve and definitely not something I think an automated system can adequately deal with…

2 Likes

Incorrect.

I’m one of the few people that had the luxury to talk directly to James and the Devs and am one of the people that pushed hard and supported development of SOLUTIONS to solve plot wars. The main guild I was in illuminoorti was very much part of discussions because we had older experienced players that knew the game and it’s issues. Havok is like player number 12.

Returning land back to a wild state does not solve anything. GC still exists and people will still fight or want that land from something else. We pushed for systems to be put in place to help cut back on the “plotting of a planet” and that is where some moderation comes in. Also we need more systems to help incentivize people to be “nice” not “jerks.” Expanding space will help since there can always be more places to build… that is all we need basically until a much better system comes into play.

Not every person can build 24 hours a day and we have MANY MANY causal players. I’m just now getting to building stuff that I wanted to do 2 years ago. I had not reserved land I would NOT be able to build there because it would have been expanded into.

I’m all for tweaking the system but I will not back down after the thousands of hours so many of us core people have put in just because we have some people that feel “our land” belongs to them. @catfud took half of Biitula at one point and we all loved it because he builds AWESOME things. He plotted right up to illuminoorti land with no buffer but we didn’t care because he creates and improves the game… plus there were TONS of other planets people can go to in the public world.

We are just rehashing stuff that has been talked about in this forum a million times that aren’t solved by the easy obvious solution because it can’t be. Otherwise it would have already been solved.

5 Likes

No. Not no, but heck no.
This is not a solution. This a sledgehammer approach.
Some people have limited time to play. You want to punish those people who have less time than you? Get bent.

2 Likes

Plotting is first come first served. It doesn’t matter how much money you spent.

If it’s unplotted available, and you have the plots, you can plot it. There is no other rule regarding this activity.

“Entitle”, “Deserve”, where do you guys come up with this sort of heavy moral implication? man, it’s a game.

A planet costs $10 per month. If you are paying for one, you are entitled to it. If you aren’t than no matter how much money you are spending at other places, on other things, you are not entitled to your own planet.

It’s really not that complicated.

EDIT: I struck out unplotted and put available because there have been the plot protection and whatnot added, as well as specific rules regarding abuse of those system. Breaking the rules is a matter for moderation not for even more complex layers against plotting anything in the first place.

10 Likes

I really don’t think it is a good idea to mess with the plot system. Many of those players are either paying for Gleam Club, and believe that when they come back, 2 years later, that plot reservation will still be there to finally build their masterpiece, or give them room to work. Second, If they are fueled beacons, then the player has done their duty, and even though the plot may be “empty” or the reservations unplottable… that is a game mechanic, and should only be freed when the beacon runs out of fuel. Just my thoughts

10 Likes

You don’t know what some people have to juggle in their life, not every one has as much free time as you might, some people are exploited by the system and have to work 80 hours a week sometimes just to get by. and only sometimes have free time to do what they want.

And with the war in Ukraine, and some people being displaced and their life turned upside down because of it. why don’t you tell them that 30 days is enough time to do something with the plots?

I am getting rather sick of how self centered “some people” are when it comes to plots. The plot is clearly taken, legally and within the rules. Accept that and move on

10 Likes

May I ask what brings this on? Did you have an issue finding a place to plot for your base?

I have just returned after a few years, and have decided to start from scratch. The only problem I had finding a spot, was deciding where to put it… as there is so much unclaimed area.

12 Likes

Bob will not be a happy camper if someone attempts to take his nature preserves away from him around his settlement. Bob has a ton of plotted not built on area and it’s for a reason. He enjoys the nature around his settlement. There’s PLENTY of room for new players on public planets.

(If I have read something incorrectly apologies, for sounding defensive also. Also yes I spoke in the third person because it gave me a laugh :joy:)

Bob out!

10 Likes

Wait… my name is Bob…

lol… welcome brother from another mother.

3 Likes

We are all Bob on this glorious day!

2 Likes

I had a similar experience. I had no issues finding large open areas when I returned a couple weeks ago.

7 Likes

I think I suggested something similar to this once - creating worlds SPECIFICALLY for new players, and restructuring the new player experience so that only a campfire/a certain number of plots can be plotted on those worlds, and the beacon plotting isn’t one of the FIRST things you learn about. Not only does that give room for new players to have their own non-overwhelming space to learn the game, but it also doesn’t let veteran players encroach on their space.

Example:

A New Player World called Mozu that either

• only allows campfires
    OR
  • allows players to place ONE beacon each with a maximum of 10 plots

This planet would have every type of wood, soil, grass, seeds, etc. easily accessible to the player, and have a healthy variety of biomes rather than a random assortment, to encourage new players to experience all facets of crafting without having to go searching the universe to find enough sand to make windows for their first house, or gravel for their pathway or garden.

Another way to solve the active vs inactive player issue could be to make Active Planets or something to that effect. Similar to the suggestion above but instead of a limit on what you can place, the limit could be on how active your account needs to be as fuel rather than actual fuel.

1 Like

Coming from someone who has had experience with a player(s) that have multiple accounts from one household purposely leave empty plots around my build to hinder my personal enjoyment of this game a very good reason to place as many empty plots as I like.

30 days huh? Someone needs to take their own advice and stop preaching on the forums :scream_cat:

4 Likes