New Player here ( Why isnt this game as big as WoW !? )

So i just started playing Boundless about a week ago … and wow … its mind blowing how good this game actually is. A minecraft mmo but better …

Why isn’t this game HUGE right now, i mean from what i have read on the forums its pretty much dead.

What happened?!! This game should be the next Warcraft with millions of players !!!

I finally found a hub with portals and visited so many different worlds and areas that I’m even more stunned at how dead it is, it must have taken Years to build some of the things i have come across !!. I went down some kick ass slide/drop with mad colours and ended up bouncing on a god damned trampoline xD

I’ve come across entire cities with sky scrapers and neon frigging lights with shops and fields of crops, but its just empty o.O

I’ve found floating Asteroid rocks of Gleam that i mined and sold for cash

I’ve heard of meteorites that come down from space and you can fight off the mobs that spawn with a pewewlazor slingshot thing.

Again … what the hell happened to this game :frowning:

It should be in the top 5 mmos right now.

Where are the devs?? why isn’t the marketing team pushing for new players ???

How can a game this good be so empty …

I’ve met 5 players so far and everyone is helpful friendly and downright angelic. The community seems legit friendly, I’ll be sticking around for as long as possible.

P.S ( Where are the most players right now … which worlds? )

28 Likes

We are here! yeah because there are 50 home worlds and around 311 sovereigns it does seem a bit sparse. But players are around. Just a heads up the chat system is very laggy as of late. Last night a message about a hunt took 30 minutes to post! If you can catch a hunt you will find larger groups of people to those as many go to those for loot and Oort. Also it varies on numbers with people scattered in different time zones. Keep playing you will find more and more people. I myself am at Maryx, Dragons Lair door @ TNT hub. We have several of us that play off and on thru the day and evening. I also run the Starlight Mall and as with all the malls you are welcome to setup a shop there or any other mall once you get to that point. You can also just set up a shop at your own location. I am also Wondernut in game just holler on the chat system someone will almost always help you out. You can search here in the forums for tons of stuff as well. Here are a couple helpful sites also lots of youtube videos out there.
https://boundlessinfo.com/colours/colour-reference
https://butt.boundless.mayumi.fi/
most of all WELCOME to the game!

9 Likes

That happens on Tier 3 worlds and higher. Tier 1 and 2 worlds are relatively safe.

The Devs got an offer from Larian Studios to come work on Baldur’s Gate 3. The announcement went out that Boundless would be put into maintenance mode until such time as they finish. That was December 2020. Right now, only about 3 Devs are doing maintenance and it’s the bare minimum at that. Unless it’s a major issue, it could take months to have an issue solved.

What marketing team? Besides some initial promotions by various gaming websites, there hasn’t been any active advertising/marketing. Most promoting is done by players, streamers, and by word of mouth.

Honestly, the servers can’t handle that kind of load. They’re designed to handle about 80 players per planet. Sovereigns even less so…

2 Likes

Welcome! & I agree :blush:

There have been a few bursts of new & active players due to sales, updates, and the initial launch. With the addition of rental planets, players are spread out amongst hundreds of worlds. Communication from the devs really slowed down (they began working on another project - as is common for devs & studios to do).

Unfortunately, Boundless didn’t receive enough hype in the beginning (marketing, social media, streamers, etc) & most gamers have never heard of it. We do have some great creators & streamers. We have a few that are waiting for a large update that has been seemingly delayed.

I think the initial idea for the game was for it to be anything people wanted - sandbox, creative, multi-player, etc. However, I think the quality & abilities they’ve added to the game, point more to an incomplete MMORPG unlike any that exist. If some dungeons, bosses/mobs, more character customization, & player mods were added (I’m not saying any of this is easy because it’s not & it takes time), I truly believe it could be a massive MMORPG. I play Minecraft, RS, WoW, Albion, PK, Ark, New World… Boundless has a uniqueness & secret sauce that none of them have imo. Even to this day, years later. :boundless:

11 Likes

Overall, I think it is hard to pinpoint exactly what the cause for the lack of players are and why they don’t stay.

I am sure you can search the forums and find various comments about why people think the game is dead, why the devs aren’t around, the future of the game etc.

The game is great, and it is mostly a niche game, but that “secret sauce” to grab players and hold them, appears to be missing. A better tutorial would help and a better chat system, but we’ll see what the future holds.

Regardless there are plenty of us around :slight_smile:

1 Like

Short answer, OP:

1. The game was never marketed properly/fully.
  2. The barrier to entry that was originally $39.99 was a little steep for many people for what the game offered at the time.
  3. The devs stopped updating the game (because their studio was acquired by Larian and the entire team was put on Baldur’s Gate 3 for the foreseeable future). So while there have been little bursts of players here and there, the population stays relatively low.

EDIT: Further clarified point 3.

3 Likes

Hey welcome to the game. And like other people have said. There’s a bunch of us still playing.

And I totally agree that this game should be huge.
But like what was mentioned already. The biggest thing was not having a good marketing push. I never would have found boundless if it weren’t for my irl friend telling me about it. And the community can only do so much.
:crossed_fingers: the devs will come back and put a little more energy into boundless at some point.

3 Likes

Hi…I’m Bob!

tenor

5 Likes

I can’t imagine any building/creative game being big like WOW (and this said by someone who prefers building games over anything else). It’s too niche. I could list a few reasons that limits Boundless’ overall potential but I too am shocked it doesn’t get more play. It has charm and creativity, who doesn’t want that :wink:

7 Likes

Welcome!

I must agree with the lack of marketing/money comments ^

I’m playing Boundless because 4 years ago I scrolled to the 3rd page of the ‘games like minecraft’ search results on the steam store and I saw a 1x3cm image that caught my eye. Not likely many people are gonna do that now are they

8 Likes

Strangely enough, that was how I found it 3 years ago. I was scrolling through “games like minecraft” and the detailed graphics caught my eye. I did wait a week to catch it on sale though.

5 Likes

i think that the ‘‘one lazy afternoon i went a bit too far when searching for games like minecraft’’ story is common among boundless players. or ‘‘a friend who one lazy afternoon went a bit too far when searching for games like minceraft recommended it to me’’ :smiley:

also (judging by some negative reviews and my own experience) the new player experience can be bad and regret inducing (thankfully the very first time i spawned in minecraft it was in the middle of an ocean with nothing in sight, so i knew to not judge a box building / crafting game by its spawn point)… some kind of tutorial town would help with that

7 Likes

Welcome to Boundless!! I must concur with all the other statements! It is a great game! Just needs fine tuning!

4 Likes

Welcome Too Boundless I recommended visiting our Tutorial Planet made by the famous @majorvex on your introduction to boundless boop

5 Likes

I would have to disagree on the marketing comments. Did stardew valley need marketing? Did Minecraft need marketing? No, it had a community behind it and helped make it thrive.

This game won’t be as big as wow because it lacks dept. There is not enough various content to keep the community engaged. Its not as well rounded :frowning: I invested in believing there would be a decent PvE group experience and it feel very short of my expectations.

I still have a location token for my original landing spot. I build there now and then.

Ehh. As long as I got to explore and build what I wanted, the variety of mobs was never an issue nor having big groups to play with.
I’m used to the groups of 4 from Swtor, as well as the groups of 16, but that was usually for a world boss.
Boundless is both simple and complex at the same time and love it for that.

1 Like

I legit have never left my landing spot. The city I built up with friends on Sochaltin I is exactly where i first spawned.

1 Like

Well I built on that spot and within an hour had 2 people stop by and invite me to their town and join their guild. Kept that place for a while before moving into their town. There was a cute little 2x2 about 200m away from me (I forget which direction). Didn’t even know at that time what a smoking beacon was. I found out when it ran out. I looted the place and took everything.
And then moved to that little town and stayed there for 6 months before moving on to greener pastures. Sadly, those 2 people quit playing about 2 months before.

Welcome to Boundless! I’m your friendly, neighborhood PixelatedTwix (Right Twix). Yeah, I played WoW for many years - it definitely has more content than my beloved mmorpg. As far as voxel mmos, yes, it deserves some love. You’ll here on the forum that people have many reasons why this or why that. My motto, enjoy the game! I hope you are! Also, we are everywhere - spread out but here. The worlds are massive and you’ll find yourself exploring builds for hours. People will congregate in the TNT portal hub; which I’m sure you’ve already been shown. But! Call us out on it if we haven’t shown up - we love to see new faces.

2 Likes

Having content updates would go a long long way to retaining and regaining old players like myself as well as attracting new players. It also fails miserably at conflict management within the community, which has and can drive off otherwise dedicated players. You are joining at a good time, I will say. Those whom remain are among the most benevolent and dedicated members this community ever saw.

9 Likes