No Advertisement

Hey guys,

Been a while Since I’ve been active. But I keep popping in here and there to be shocked with the player numbers. I mean this is the type of game that would get a lot of attention and the amount of hard work and heart that has gone into this game is astounding. I honestly believe this game deserved much better as not only the game but the community is quite a rare gem to find so to speak.

Unfortunately I only see two possible reasons for such a low player base. First of all on release people being sheeps and screaming pay to win because the played 5 mins and saw a loot box… and second is because I don’t ever think I’ve seen any form of advisement for this game.

It’s a real shame as the game is still progressing and shaping to be a great game, but still feels a little empty.

~Thanks Bear

3 Likes

Hay stone bear! Welcome back.
I keep thinking they want to reach some sort of mile stone be for advertising. Like titans and a vigorous crafting/economy system.
That way when they do have a major advertising push it is for a complete and awsom game.
You only get to make a 1st impression once!

7 Likes

Or twice in the case of no man’s sky. :rofl:

10 Likes

Posted some thoughts on this before, but basically I see a tie-in between these two things – IMO, the advertising needs to be focused, as a wide net you will get a lot of group one there. Hit the right group, it could be huge. Boundless is a niche game I feel, there is a learning curve – but these days, any niche can be large enough to keep a game very healthy. I’m pretty certain on what the niche here is, since I’ve had a bunch of them buy based on screenshots I’ve put up on Twitter: fans of other indie gems that require similar time investment and appeal to the explorer and virtual photographer crowd, particularly No Man’s Sky (mention of it above is appropriate I think!). Seen a lot of similarities across the group that really loves Boundless, similar interests, and we’re a bit older maybe than the average gamer, seems the bulk of us are 30+ among those I know ages of.

If I were them, what I’d do is, when ready for a good push, I’d target ads at the NMS base on social media. Boundless is the better game IMO on all counts, and just a small % of that base would be huge. If just my small following shows a lot of interest based on screens I put up there, it certainly makes me wonder what a real campaign aimed at the whole base could do!

6 Likes

This is a fairly common topic. Between what Jeffro said and the fact that the current max capacity is only 5000, including all higher tiers that will always be less populated, we’ve pretty much determined that they will eventually advertise more.

Can’t sell the game to a million people when only like 2500 could play on safe planets at once.

4 Likes

I have to agree with what @DutchOfSorissi said. Yesterday and today I pretty much can’t visit European servers. Sometimes even the North American servers get squirrelly. This usually happens during exo planets or anticipated updates. So I’m guessing that the severs are getting pushed to the max. Hopefully the game can grow and handle high traffic but right now it doesn’t seem to be able to handle it. This is currently the only game that I am playing right now and it gets aggravating when it’s not working properly.

2 Likes

I remember waiting in line at portals shortly after launch. Planets were capped at what, 50 players? The game can’t get huge until it’s ready to get huge. Private planets could be a brick in that road. If they advertised and got ten thousand new players, where would we put them? Is the plan to get huge? If the game only ever has 1,000 players but is fun to play I’m fine with that… but you would imagine the plan is to get huge eventually.

5 Likes

Planets automatically spawn with more people. That’s why we have dzassak and trung from the free weekend.

6 Likes

There were some rumors awhile back that they were going to do some advertising 2 years after launch (Sept 2018). Which means they would have until Sept of 2020 to get the game ready.

They’ve been trucking along at a steady pace with updates, fixes, QoL, new features, etc…so if the rumor holds any truth, it seems to be on track imo :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah but no mans sky was a rare exception :rofl: but hey it was worth it. Look at the game now it’s doing great.

2 Likes

Hiya curtis, this was probably an exo planet not an update or preparation for one as over the last 30 days there have only been 122 people playing which there have been more people on the servers than that before with little to no issues. :slight_smile:

Added some extra info to the quoted text. People tend to forget the game is cross play with PS4 :wink:

4 Likes

Ahhh I did my apologises, Tho that is a good point. also good to see ya stretchy :slight_smile:

As a new player that started during last steam sale I have found it kind of eerie around how much has been built and how it feels like I am exploring an abandoned civilization. I keep saying to myself this must have been amazing during the peak period lol.

Hopefully we resurgence will happen

4 Likes

I been playing for 10 months now and still loving it and still here.

Many come back to the game as a lot has changed even since I started this game many changes and new things have arrived.

I think the devs get the credit from seeing us enjoying the game and being such a good community :grin:

Enjoy the game it won’t die off I’m sure of that.

2 Likes

Been here since before “here” was a place. The game is growing slowly, almost organically. But the dedication of the player base is like nothing I have ever seen elsewhere. Your average player here has 100x or more hours played than most games average. And that’s not an exaggeration. If you’ve got 6000+hours played, let’s get a show of hands people!

10 Likes

Over 6000 hours? If a person played 5 hours a day, every single day with no breaks… that would be 3.28 years of straight game time.

That is something. How long has this game been around exactly because that seems like a lot of time.

That includes AFK time for some (ie: I left the game running all night long while I slept)

3 Likes

This is the main reason i believe there hasn’t been a huge push yet. I think once everything from the trailer finally comes into the game, mainly titans, we will see a change in advertising. Until then it’s best to grow organically over time.

Then there’s this. Let’s say they advertise and bring in thousands of players. We would need 10-20 more worlds to accommodate these players, maybe more. But like any game, Boundless won’t be for them and a % will quit. Now we have more planets than we need with no way to destroy a planet. This isn’t like other MMORPGs where we can just merge a server together when population gets low. And until we have an easy blueprint system to move builds it’s unfair to people who settled on those low pop worlds.

5 Likes

Oh ok, that makes more sense. So people don’t really have 6000 active game hours, it’s just hours the client was left running unattended. Thanks for explaining that.

2 Likes