NOT Another Leaving Thread

all games shutdown at some point thats how it just works, but boundless is not ready for that yet

1 Like

“Most” games shutdown at some point is how it works. One example would be Minecraft it will never shutdown … I would venture to guess it stay around for many years to come. Boundless can do the same simply by allowing the universe to run on private servers. There are other examples of games that are still around if you need more examples.

Not to mention what @Rydralain said maybe they allow us to fund the core worlds or even the entire current universe. Who knows…

1 Like

I definitely agree Boundless is not ready to be shutdown. But idk, I dont think all games do shut down, some games just keep on living for many many years (ok fair enough, eventually, after mutliple DECADES maybe, then all games do finally shutdown :wink: ).

But some games just keep on living, there are actually more than quite a few, my own perception of the reason is that these games either allow great freedom of customization to gameplay, great competive pvp or continued development that gradually ads new type of gameplay. The main thing I think here is offering the player a choice of some kind of significant and continual change/variety.

I know right. We all know wich game you are talking… Its pokemon.

1 Like

On this, sad as it is now to see those numbers, I sort of wonder if, rather than death, what we’ve got going now is an artificially-induced coma. They may well have resources now from their deal with Larian to keep Boundless going as it is now indefinitely. Problem with doing updates on Boundless now though - they are then committed to providing support on them when they release. Even with testing beforehand, struck me that given the situation with BG3 (MAYBE releasing 2022 if lucky, unforeseen setbacks apparently, and a lot of job postings open) it would be risky to let updates out that might demand a lot of hours of fixes for things they didn’t anticipate, when they might be in crunch mode as it is.

So, perhaps could be quietly working on the current and other updates in the background as time permits, and after BG3 is released and through any major problems, at that point do not a reset but add lots more and then make a push on the game, almost like a fresh start.

… Well, that is the optimistic side of me talking, at least. :joy:

I echo what @Rydralain said though in that if they are forced to make the decision to shut down, that I hope we get warning and a chance to maybe keep it going ourselves.

5 Likes

I mean… that one post by DragonTamer in the support forum where he was unable to login for the last 3 weeks only took 4 days before anyone official said anything

While that one support issue where the guy needed help with his sov planet purchase only took 45 minutes

So its not like they totally have abandoned the game…

1 Like

Just my two cents, but maybe it’s because some of those people have been playing for years, making many friends along the way and making their presence felt in the universe with great builds, etc. So they post leaving messages as a way of saying goodbye and letting those who care know that their builds are going to disappear with them.

While there have been some very negative posts, I see it as a reflection of how invested those people were in the promise of what the game could be and how it fell short for them. Many of them raise valid criticism that the devs could use to better the game and draw back those who have left. After all, many of those people will still lurk in the forums or Discords to keep an eye on if and when new updates happen.

Obviously there are new players joining all the time, but with any game with a limited scope a significant proportion of those people will eventually lose interest and walk away too.

Having the attitude of “don’t let the door hit you on the way out” with those posting leaving posts does a massive disservice to the contribution they’ve made to the Boundless universe over the years. We could all have a little more tolerance and try to see both sides of the debate, whether you’re one of the disillusioned or one of those who still finds joy in the game.

Personally I had to cut back on the game for health reasons after a stroke, but I still dip back in occasionally.

6 Likes

I got the feeling from reading AlexxChristo’s post that it was more directed at the people who’ve literally done it for ■■■■-posting reasons … but I could be wrong.

Like … of course I’d wanna know if one of my faves left!

But, equally, like in real life … I literally can’t care about people I don’t know … that’s not harsh … it’s just … like … literally impossible, y’know?

Either way, I liked your post, and I liked Alexx’s, too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sure, and to add:

It’s not always obvious to a new player, when someone creates a “leaving” thread, what the tone of their involvement in the game or community has been for the last 1,2, or in some cases 4-5 years have been. The opening post sometimes helps set the tone, and when your farewell post is basically a ragequit with a side of “F U ALL” and “NJOY UR DED GAME!!” then you could pretty much expect some less than cordial responses :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If someone honestly wanted to trawl around they could find examples of both “OMG We’ll Miss You!” and “don’t let the door hit you on the way out” around here.

5 Likes

It Sad to see me go but I’m leaving

To see the Doctor and pick up cookies

10 Likes

Yes, I’ve been seeing a lot more new people. I try to help all I can, answering questions, giving some tools, etc.

But there are some that leave by happenstance. People like Johm, who recently passed away.

2 Likes

Why was this reported? There’s nothing wrong with it. @majorvex your opinion?

1 Like

Why is this flagged

2 Likes

I visited Raxxa today and found 2 new people who just started today. Husband and wife. Forgot their names though :man_shrugging:
Gave them each a grapple, several gleambow totems, and a 100 stack of gleam.

2 Likes

Usually I can guess the reason, but this one is…???

1 Like

I don’t have access to info on flags. I can’t see who did it, nor take action on it. Only the mods/admins can.

You should be a moderator. I’d vote for you if it was possible.

I’d definitely agree that I see no reason for the flagging, but:

I’m sure this will be unpopular opinion, but goodness no. This forum needs impartial moderators, not ones that split off negative opinions and threads they’d rather hide away into the ‘Off topic’ category (so they don’t appear on the Latest posts page unless you have already been involved in them… and lets face it, nobody goes to a game forum looking for information about the game and goes to the off-topic section to do so), despite the fact that those posts are “Thoughts and feelings” about Boundless which, given that this is the forum about Boundless, means they are about as on-topic as they can get and fully belong in general.

2 Likes

Would you rather see threads descend into anarchy or chaos? A lot of that was done to head off some very heated discussions, that honestly are not necessary. You want to see negativity run rampant, go somewhere else.
We don’t need a lot of negative nancies dragging the forums down to their level just to feel better about themselves. :-1:

4 Likes

the truth hurts when you spit facts :relieved: