Not quite what I expected

It’s Beta and for testing. Of cause the 24 plots are used up easily, but later you will be able to get more plots over the time, so this problem you have is just an temporary. But keep in mind that the plots were limited to 12 the last C++ version, so may be the devs raise it in the next one OR may introduce a way to get more.

Just don’t forget that the C++ build is used for testing stuff in the moment, not fulfilling the needs of the players. Second may also come with the build (I have some fun for example), but remember that this is not the focus of the game in the moment.

11 Likes

I’m not so sure if you’ve seen the youtube video “Oort Online: Built by Players Trailer” so here’s a link. It’s a nice trailer btw

I know that they will increase the beacon cap later in the future where we have to play the game to earn more beacon plots. However, I don’t think it won’t be enough to build any of those amazing player builds in the trailer by yourself (protected by the beacons) unless you have multiple accounts or have a guild (with you as a leader or you know the leader very well) to build those huge areas. Hopefully when the game is fully released, we will have enough beacon plots to be satisfied with as a solo player ;).

1 Like

I wasn’t sure whether or not to mention it. But this is kinda the point. that you CAN’T build massive structures as a solo player. I’m not sure how bad the beacon limit is cause im not a builder, but im fairly sure it has a lot to do with getting used to it more than anything else. Remember how people reacted when they nerfed the length of removing materials? People said the same sort of “now its impossible to build!” but worked around it.

Right now i think personally that it feels so limiting because

A) you have gotten used to not needing it
B) we dont have progression in place to acquire more
C) there isnt really anything else to do other than building.
D) We dont have enough players to make huge collaborative builds.

5 Likes

Even though they may not be intended or expected (long term), constraints are a good thing!

It seems like a lot of people are equating the size of a build with how ‘good’ it is. There’s plenty of other factors that might make for really cool builds aside from size (all those little details).

For example, @Karko’s housing competition showed that folks can make some really interesting builds in a small amount of space (16x16x16).

How about we challenge ourselves to see what sorts of amazing builds we can create within the constraints we have at the moment!

2 Likes

I’m fine without building those huge areas by myself, I just want enough beacon space for my personal home when the game is fully released ( enough to be satisfied as a solo player :smiley: ). I just want to warn those who have that mindset and not get disappointed in the end if they are doing it solo unless they work with others(guild), solo(with multiple accounts}, solo(with the packages available in playboundless to increase beacon cap).

I want my home to be exactly like that but a little more expanded(when the farming update releases, I want to make sure I have enough space for my cattle to roam around in)

I think the real reason it feels limiting is because there are unnecessary constraints.

No no no, if you want to make the large builds right now you have artificial barriers in place preventing you from doing so.

Artificial barriers right now.

A good reason why we shouldn’t be limited by the number of beacons we have.

Not really, lots of people on the default server have collaborated with only a few people to help (or on their own like Spire), so this isn’t really true.

1 Like

You do realize that trying to use “artificial barriers” as an argument doesn’t work right? You realize that by definition everything in a game is an artificial barrier because it could technically be removed by code right? By same way of logic i can say “beacons are just an artificial crutch! they shouldnt be in the game! everything should be consumed by world regen!” or “World regen is just an artificial system to force people to use beacons!”. It’s a game it is NOT REAL. and therefore everything in it is by defintion “artificial”.

It is to test out the limit and to get people more soothed into how it would eventually be. Which is why its good that @Rolco made the topic describing how he feels with the current system.

Ever heard of “the golden rule”? It’s a part of religion/ethics that states “treat others the way you want to be treated” and “If everybody did what you do. how would the world look?” the last one being the key point here. When we are a relatively small community then it might feel like it shouldnt be there. But imagine we were 10 times more people or even 100 times more people or maybe more (hopefully something happens at launch) would you still find it unnecessary? I strongly doubt it.

1 Like

How condescending.

I’m saying that the game should aim to enable people to do what they would like, not just to be block people because they want to. If you want to play a word game I could just have easily said unnecessary barriers that make the experience worse for the player that won’t exist in the future.

We are a relatively small community, and in the progression we will have we will eventually get more beacons, so the number of beacon plots should be relative to that now and be tuned later. What’s the point of having these limitations now?

For most of us this won’t be true, with guilds and more players (on top of everything else) our beacon limit would be higher to allow for these large builds. Again, the current beacon limit is not representative of what we will have, so why make it lower?

Honestly I was going to quote all the parts of your post where you were being a scumbag but I may as well just quote the whole thing. You didn’t even address half of what I said, the fact that there were unnecessary constraints, the fact that we should get more beacons now while building is the only thing to do and the fact that you should be able to make large builds without the need for other people.

1 Like

Wasn’t at all meant to sound condescending :slight_smile:

i didnt answer any of the things you said?

well. you said the same thing three times[quote=“Combatman12, post:8, topic:4418”]
Artificial barriers right now.
[/quote]

You aren’t actually saying anything. Nor are you really arguing. You aren’t even making constructive critism. You are just throwing a temper tantrum. Now this will be the last i can try to stay kind. So i would recommend not to prod me one more time. okay? :slight_smile:

There’s a difference.

I am way more constructive than you, all you do is condescend, do you realise that you are SO condescending?
Here you are strawmanning me. Replace artificial with my other explanation and it doesn’t work.

Are you serious? If you want me to explain it to you like a kid then let’s put it like this. The current beacon limit is more of a hindrance than a help, a hindrance that won’t exist in 1.0

Do you think I’m 12? Have you heard of this thing called “respect”?

Lol the irony is strong with this one.

:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

1 Like

Relax guys. This is not worth an arguement. All of your beaconed builds will wipe again before launch anyway, so use these temporary constraints to practice smaller scale building. Focus on detail and innovative use of space. At least, that’s how I’m dealing with it.

9 Likes

Ive used 16 of my 24 allocation to build a rather sizeable 3 story house, which I plan to fill with more things as they’re released … and hopefully some more things will be released before another wipe happens [crosses fingers]

I’ll save my remaining beacons for a community build or small scale competition house if we do one of those again

2 Likes

I agree with @Rolco that the speed of regen is a little sad.
But what I am confused about is the area that beacons cover. Do they not protect all the way up to building height?
I built I high structure near the portal and placed my 24 plots horizontally to protect a wide area, assuming that it would also cover the blocks above them. It didn’t. It deleted the blocks I placed.
Perhaps it’s just a minor bug, but it would be much appreciated if the beacons didn’t let the regen eat the blocks. Lol.

No, they only protect an 8x8x8 cube. The area above and below your beacon plot, will be “reserved” for you to place additional beacon allocations when you want to. This basically prevents anyone from completely boxing you in.

Not a bug - beacons only protect blocks placed within their boundaries. World regen will claim everything else.

2 Likes

Just finished reading through all your posts.

I think @Zouls hit the nail on the head. I just wanted to share how I felt with the current state of the game and the new changes. Good or bad

Don’t get me wrong. I’m pro becons and regen. I love this game and the community. I also fully understand this is alpha and there are lots of updates to come.

I don’t think bigger is necessarily better. Though what I do think is that I’ve filled my beacons in a couple of hours and I have nothing much more to do.

I want to build something, something impressive on a large scale right now and I can’t. This might change with future updates, it might not. I thought it was worth expressing that my desire to log in and play just dropped by 80% because of this.

This conversation may in turn effect decisions moving forward. It’s about all I can say.

I’m now all for larger beacons, or beacon limit scaling that will expand somehow, like x time played.

4 Likes

I think the idea that I posted a while ago partially solves your issue with not being able to beacon off the “important parts”:

2 Likes

I think I’ve also suggested this before. Having the ability to resize beacons would allow for people to make the most out of their space. It would also allow for efficiently using beacons to make tunnels and roads and whatnot (1x2x256?).

1 Like

It’s a good suggestion and one that has been thoroughly discussed. I personally am interested to see if we can gain an effective solution with simply fine tuning the regen speed and frequency.

2 Likes

Well that is certainly a little sad, but not terrible I suppose. Now I a more educated for the future.
I didn’t even like the way my build looked too much, I was just using it to experiment with blocks and designs. Lol.

1 Like