Resizable Beacon Plot System

I posted this idea a while ago on another thread, but I decided to make it it’s own thread for exposure.

There was some discussion on this post…

…over how a certain amount of beacon plots wouldn’t suffice for some players. I believe I may have a solution to partially mend this problem. It involves a resizable beacon, which would depend on how many blocks they take up, rather than an allocated amount of plots:

• When you initially place a beacon it gives you an 8x8x8 space like normal
  • After it’s been placed you can (somehow?) click and drag the edges to extend/shrink any side (including the top or bottom). Doing this, you can effectively make it thinner or wider in any orientation.
  • After resizing the initial beacon, you can still add plots, but you’d be able to extend/shrink those as well, so you can basically make the beacon any shape or size that you want.

I think that this system could have many benefits:

• One would be able to maximize the space their beacon uses, and waste as little space as possible.
  • If you were building a large town/guild hall, you could lock off certain areas to be only build-able by certain players, whether that area be a small room, or an entire building.
  • It could also solve the dillema of lockable chests/doors. All you would have to do is place a beacon plot the size of the chest/door, and then only add certain people to the beacon. This could allow players to lock out people from certain buildings, or from certain chests.

Though it does have benefits, I do see how the system could have some problems:

• Players could place very small beacon plots all over the place. Depending on what the beacon effect will actually look like, it could really make the landscape look bad, in addition to being a nuisance if you wanted to build wherever it is.
  • If you don’t place a beacon over a chest in an area that’s not already beacon-ed, someone could place a beacon over it, effectively locking you out.
  • Having a bunch of little plots could get really troublesome on a detailed build. If you needed to resize them, remove them, or shift them somewhere else, the process could get very complicated.

TL;DR: You can resize your beacon and beacon plots, so you can make it any shape or size that you want. There are pros and cons to the system.

Though I’m not sure on how the resizing mechanic would even work, or how to solve all of the problems described above, or whether the system would just be too complex for the game, but I would still like to hear what everyone else thinks of this idea.

4 Likes

Totoly agree wiht this

Are suggesting that the amount of plots you have are calculated in blocks?
Since that would have to be done form this to work i think.

Great Idea anyways!

1 Like

Yeah, the amount of space taken up would be based on how many blocks a player uses up, rather than how many plots they use. This would require a rework/rebalance, though, to figure out how many blocks a player should receive along certain milestones of gameplay.

1 Like