NPE - New Player Experience

Fair enough. Added the poll for Chat system overhaul to OP ! :wink:

4 Likes

A store is fine when it is cosmetic only, and this game haves a lot of potential to make a decent amount of money from cosmetics as the cosmetics we have currently for character customization are quite frankly rather sad and very disappointing.
Adding armor bits, pauldrons, chestplates, gauntlets, greaves, gauntlets, or pets that follow you around like how non-combat-minions in WoW and FF14 work and other things that can enhance character customization into a cash shop, in my opinion would be a decent way for the game to make more money with out making it P2W or worse.

If people spit on the idea of an cosmetic only shop, then I think they are being unreasonable at that point.

4 Likes

First thing to focus on is stress testing what the game can handle. Can the game support 25k new players? Can they access a planet where all their friends are located? Pretty important …

1 Like

Regarding Sanctum, I would like if you could build in it and have it saved. Like, you wouldn’t be able to put in any storage or machines there (because there wouldn’t be any point of building in the wild), but you should be able to add/remove/chisel blocks in it to your liking and to really make it your own.

Oh you can do that, I believe the sanctum editor was accessed via the debug menu (but it’s been a year or so since the last time I played with that)

Press F1, click “(F1) menu”, click sanctum edit, then load a sanctum to edit

1 Like

Oooh having voice acting in the game would be amazing!

Dude, I’d lend my voice to this @monty1 if you ever wanted this! Love any kind of voice acting opportunities, let alone one from a game I love so dearly.

Yeah, but I would like it to be officially in the game, using the game tools not some OP debug creative mode. Basically to have Sanctum behave like your own private sandbox, but you still would have to provide materials and tools to build in it.

1 Like

SanctumEdit came long before Creative Worlds, so who knows, might be a thing. Still, SanctumEdit has one thing Creative Worlds don’t : the ability to target a plant, set its growth stage, and prevent it from withering. I’ve always been annoyed by that feature not being available on Creative Worlds.

But to go back to the other suggestion where the Sanctum gets upgrades, it could very well be a quest given by the Sanctum Elder.
“Bring me X amount of stuff and I’ll be able to repair the Sanctum !”

3 Likes

Tutorial could point to the forums and player-made most useful websites/apps (outside-game supporting player content policy must be in place of course and someone in the dev team responsible for sorting and implementing; second step would be expanding to a dedicated player content team implementing in-game player content like body paints, etc. - but that’s for later).

Anyways, in-game chat (after it’s re-done completely) could have icons/buttons opening forums, BUTT, boundless-crafting, official discord, boundless wiki etc. (due to potentially long list maybe one button opening a window that has a full list of officially approved outside-game info/teaching sources, where one could open them with one click).

2 Likes

Well, BUTT or other websites could also become an official feature added into the game by Monumental. It’s not like it HAS to be a website.

2 Likes

That is the second step.

First any outside game source gets to the in-game links menu.
Best get implemented and become in-game features. Others remain on the link list - quick access is always good.

Good suggestion :slight_smile:

Would like to see tutorial pictures/animations because tutorial have much of long text.

I think new characters would benefit for having more skill points at start. Maybe have fixed skill build because toons are weak and slow to perform actions.

Of course, agreed. But any link has to be minor if it’s to be integrated later, then the link has no reason to stay. Unless the link is cleverly updated to link to the integrated feature.

Any outside source can be integrated partially (some features/aspects of it) or in full.
Depending on whether the author of such source decides to run it or discontinue, it stays or is removed from the in-game list.

:point_up: This can’t be overstated enough!

A lot of the early starter worlds are ugly AF, both in colors and in generation.
The starter player models are ugly AF.

When I first startet into 1.0 I was crushed how ugly everything was. I reluctantly created an ugly character and was sent to the most flat, most dark, most boring starter world out there. I literally couldn’t play. I wandered around like in a bad dream without doing anything.

I had to stop playing for a week and I only returned because I knew (as a beta player) that Boundless is beautiful SOMEWHERE ELSE. As a new player I would have not returned, for sure.

So yeah. To me the most important point in NPE:
Give players nice characters and a new set of starter worlds that are acutally stunning!

Way more important then VO or images of keyboards, imho.
Player guidance is not in a bad state. It’s just happening in the most ugly most boring environment.

3 Likes

I wonder if it would be fair to request armors/clothing as part of the NPE.
Like, at least ONE outfit other than the diaper.

Well, that is quite a reduction of the idea. ^^
I would be pictures to show everything, like “pleace a beacon!” and you see a picture of a beacon next to it.

1 Like

I would already be happy if they released more faces that they already built 5 years ago btw.

1 Like

Yeah, Boundless has such an incredibly long list of shelved concepts arts and models almost ready to go, it’s indecent. I wish I could be recruited by @monty1 to model some stuff from what Minyi has drawn.

5 Likes

Definitely agree on this. I would even go as far as saying the normal run speed should be permanently increased. Change the current skill from 8 points to 4 points and just give everyone the first 4 points at level 1. Trying to run through some of these huge cities or even exploring your first planet with level 1 run speed is painfully slow.

3 Likes

That’s also a very important point, imho. The starting values of new charaters are so low compared to similar games.
Walk speed, swing speed, everything is abysmal. You need to spend the frist few level just to “repair” your character and bring it back to baseline before you can start to me make real progress.

5 Likes