Okay devs... Here's one of the reasons why some people can't stay invested into the game

Yeah but that dates back to when the game was still called “Oort Online”, in 2015.

3 Likes

True. Although if we’re somehow onto the subject of Private / Self-Hosted worlds now, here’s a slightly later post (Feb '16) after the name was changed to Boundless, and until this official information changes, I’m personally taking it as “still in the development pipe-line” of things to come and I am looking forward to it :smiley:

6 Likes

Me too! Can’t wait to have my own rental planet, name it (hope that is possible actually!), allow everyone to visit and do whatever EXCEPT plot, I decide who can, rest is like any other public planet!

Ahhhhhh, and if many people do this there will be quite a few new planets to explore, new block colours to gather, more atlases to fill, more ahhhhhhhhhh :smiley:

4 Likes

Im curious to find out if we can choose non perm colors for rental planets. I dont expect us to be able to.

Why not? If all we can pick are the same repetative colors from the planets that exist at the time then they also eliminate one reason to rent a planet to begin with. With 255 colors available, why not allow players to expand what is out there versus having to wait for it to occur naturally?

Yeah, I’m also looking forward to an Official Private Boundless Servers.

But I was also thinking about news on more subjects than just this.
Such as what stage of development are the Titans at, what would be the current plan of action, what might’ve changed since last time, or if maybe something has been indefinitely shelved (and if possible, “why?”).
Same for furnitures, ladders, block-parasite creature, hunter creature, smasher creature, possible additionnal PvE activities, GUI rework, decorative totems, armors/clothing, stickers, new races.

Because people would be able to deny access to their own planet, providing unique colors to the economy only they could sell.

Players can always use goo to dye blocks so the ability to create a unique color is not really an issue any more. Plus with the exo planets there are players that have gotten access to materials in colors that others have not and sell it for a premium, how is this different?

Off the top of my head gleam could be a problem.

Exos are for all players.

Exos are for players that are advanced enough to have atmosphere protection for the higher tier exos and also for players that are available to play when they exist.

But as to gleam being a problem. So if I have created/rented a planet with blue gleam which does not exist, then what is to stop another player from doing the same? Nothing. I think if a color is that popular more than one player is going to be wanting it on their planet and you also assume that all the rental planets are not available for all players to visit. Players may not want other players to be able to plot on their planets, but I have certainly read enough about players wanting other players to be able to visit.

1 Like

Exos arent closed to non paying players. Quite the difference.

Read the link stretchious provided a few posts above. Players can choose who can or cant visit.

I personally wouldnt appreciate only paying customers affecting the economy with non perm items, but to each their own. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Denying access to any and all players to your rental planet means it won’t be connected to the public worlds, at least that is what I think they will do. Denying people the ability to farm blocks and other resources would also be a good reason for me to not allow them to connect and I also do not really see the point to even wanna do that, yes, nice, now you have sole access to colours others don’t I will spawn 100 new rental planets until I have the same colours and I WILL allow everyone to gather blocks…

1 Like

I can certainly see a use-case for being able to deny access - providing a safe area for families with younger children to play on (remember the game is targeted at 7+), whilst still being connected to the main universe for gathering of other resources.

6 Likes

But if they really want a safe area and do not want their kids to see scary strangers than surely it would be better to NOT be connected to the public worlds?

2 Likes

That’s 4 years ago. Could be another 4 years yet…lol

Not really no… because then you deny the full game experience to the rest of the family that are old enough not to need protecting from scary strangers. Unless of course they have to play on a another completely different character to enjoy that.

Full disclosure here… I have a daughter who also plays Boundless. However, when she does, she sticks close to me and doesn’t really want to interact with other players. Now, if we had a rented world, and that world were closed off to others, she could run freely around without fear whilst I’m off gathering items from other worlds which are not available on our own one. We still get to build together as a family and both get to enjoy the game. Once she becomes more comfortable with the game and interacting with others, we can then open the world up to be less restricted to the public.

This doesn’t only apply to families with young kids either, it could also apply to people who are vulnerable and their family/friends etc. It’s a safeguard to allow players to be introduced into a community based game more slowly.

Maybe additional options are needed for rental worlds…
“Do you want to restrict access to your world?”

• Yes. You can only choose from a predetermined colour palette. Can be freely changed to be open/closed/whitelisted to public.
  • No. Choose your own colour palette. Unable to restrict visitor access (only able to block troublesome players with dev intervention).

This then leaves the world to be opened up to be more public at a later date, should the renters want, without introducing any previously hard-to-obtain colours to the universe.

It could well be, but I choose not to be a pessimist.

10 Likes

If I pay irl $ to rent a planet, I’d like the ability to blacklist a player if they are repeatedly causing problems or harassing people on my planet. Other games provide this ability & I hope it’s included in rental planets (I believe it has been mentioned that it will be).

8 Likes

The issue of rarity in the public universe for building material is hopefully only a temporary problem. As the game grows, which I think private worlds will cause, will bring a lot of new colors to the game in multiple locations. Meaning the worry of a specific color being restricted may eventually become a complete non-issue.

4 Likes

Hmm yeah, ok, I can understand that indeed, didn’t think of that!

Sounds like a plan!

I am rather confident it won’t be 4 years, thinking more along the lines of 4 months!

Look at the things they are changing lately! Creative mode, beacon stuff. We all know they don’t just do 1 little beacon thing, they then do a bunch of beacon/permissions related items on their list of things to do and for rental worlds to be properly released we need both creative mode AND permissions who can beacon and who can not…

3 Likes

Niche game with unreal amounts of grinding. I think the player base is what it is. It dwindled down to a low number but has held steady for awhile.

I pretty much quit playing when someone tried to box me in at a new hub that was built. It was an “important” player in the game someone told me by PM as they wished me luck. The player fixed it after I called it out publicly but I haven’t really felt like playing since. It didn’t help that this type of situation had happened before. I fuel my beacons and log out

1 Like