Okay devs... Here's one of the reasons why some people can't stay invested into the game

>>DISCLAIMER<<
Now Before I start this post, this will be a bit negative… and I’m really sorry if it tarnishes the good mood that these forums usually have, but I’m at a point where I simply can’t enjoy the game at its fullest due to that one annoying thing that have been preventing me, my friends and probably a lot of other people from getting fully invested into Boundless and I feel like this NEEDS to be addressed and talked about

so… it here goes, leave now if you don’t want to read a somewhat negative post, you can read the TL;DR right below if you don’t want to read the novel I have written below haha

(TL;DR/Summary), the fact that this game has such a small playerbase that seemingly keeps dwindling on a monthly basis is not reassuring for the Future, and is actually a HUGE turn off for many people, what I would kindly ask the devs here is to please… tell us what the eff is going on, or at the very least say something that would help reassuring us about the future of the game, because as it stand right now, the game is NOT growing, it’s dwindling, and it becomes increasingly frustrating to witness this, especially when we all know that this could be helped by advertising the game even just A LITTLE bit, and yet nothing is being done to grow the playerbase that could really benefit from a small boost

Novel Edition With More Details On My Point of View And Reasoning :arrow_down:

So here’s the thing… I love Boundless, I truly do, I like it better than Minecraft even, but there was always this ONE annoying and seemingly minor annoyance that have been preventing me and my group of friends from truly enjoying ourselves in this game… it’s not about the gameplay loop, it’s not about the economy, but it’s rather about the very small population that the game has currently and the complete lack of advertisement to help the game grow.

Now, I get it, games in general don’t have to have thousands upon thousands of players to be supported for years, there’s plenty of games that barely have 300+ concurrent players at any given time on steam and yet they still get a lot of updates, but the key things about these games… are the fact that the teams behind them are barely in the double digits, most of the time they are a team of what ? 3, 6 or even 10 members working on the game, and often time, the game is not the most polished product in the world, but it’s okay because that’s how you adapt your game to be feasibly supported by the small team you have.

So where am I going with this…? well, Wonderstruck is not that small of a studio… they are a studio with 25+ employees, and their game, is not a lovingly clunky indie game like for example 7 Days To Die and Project Gorgon, but a polished and Double A quality title backed by a big company (Sony) and published by a subdivision of a big publisher (Square Enix Collective), which means that the cost of developing Boundless is probably far from being cheap, and to sustain this kind of development quality, you need a substantial playerbase, not just a couple hundreds active players, hence why me and many others aren’s so sure if the game will be around for a while, because with the playerbase we have right now, I can’t see this being enough, and the lack of transparency when it comes to that is extremely frustrating and anxiety inducing for me personally.

Anyway that’s all I wanted to say… I’ve been keeping that cat in the bag for so long now but I thought it would be time to actually let it out, please keep in mind that my intention is not to spread negativity, but rather get some kind of response from the devs themselves about what the future hold rather than some vague statement like we’ve been seeing for a while now.

On this note have a great day and please… be civile in the comments

13 Likes

I doubt this will get the update or response you would like , james and the devs havent to my knowledge ever revealed “the grand plan” or longterm roadmap. I have just decided to enjoy it for what it is now and see what happens. & it’s working quite nicely lol

8 Likes

I don’t expect any either, but at this point I prefer trying to get some rather than just sitting on my ass and attempt nothing, if this can spark enough of a discussion I’ll be happy, but this is mostly an attempts more than anything, an attempts that I don’t expect to actually work honestly

3 Likes

I would be fine with the devs saying that this is open beta and they have a grand release planned in a few years when there is more content, if that’s the case.

1 Like

To late for that. It is not beta anymore…

1 Like

This here is one of the great mysteries of the Oortiverse.

Also just to put a bit of a contrasting view to my statement above, it could very well be a case à la No Man’s Sky, where devs are simply keeping their heads down and working like caffeine fueled machines… most likely to finish all of those big features that were promised a long time ago, stuff like Titans, Flying dungeons, new mob type like the stalker etc, Hell, for all we know, Square Enix might have been the one telling them to “Shut up, stay focused and finish these damn features already !”

4 Likes

The player base is small but it’s not dwindling. Like, at all. It’s consistently between 90 - 130 active players at a time on Steam. Been this way for months. It occasionally spikes higher than that but comes right back to 90 - 130 active.

That said, I would definitely appreciate some words on a “grand plan” for the game.

7 Likes

I feel ya OP.

I check these forums almost daily for news of updates but I have not been playing much lately.

I started playing when the game launched on steam and love it for the most part but nowadays it’s not holding my interest like it used to.

1 Like

But no Clean Wipe me be a Angry :cookie:

7 Likes

I freaking love 7 days to die! I hope it never leaves Alpha. Been playing it for 4 years probably by now. A18 rocks! Actually playing it now with Darkness Falls mod!

4 Likes

I mean… if it truly is consistent like that and these numbers are somehow enough to keep the game affloat with new content being released then good for them, I couldn’t give less of a damn about a small playerbase then, as long as I can play the game fully then who cares, I even tend to like smaller playerbase over bigger ones.

But the main reason why I was saying that was because by most standards 130 concurrent daily players is considered well “below average” in term of MMO population, but for all I know it could actually be enough for them since they have Sony backing/funding them and Square Enix publishing and funding them as well

130 in the whole world on steam is so small it it declined anymore it would be no one playing. I love the game but hey it’s time to upgrade …Huge spike of online gaming but there is no spike at all playing boundless. This game would be insane even if only had couple of thousand playing everyday…it would change everything…

5 Likes

I moped around for 2-1/2 years after Sony pilled the plug on The Tomorrow Children. After looking for all that time I found bBoundless on a list of voxel games it had already been released for 8 months at that point. They are not advertising this at all. People only come in thru word of mouth (friends) or occasional randoms like myself.

Where’s the PR? It’s on sale on Steam $20 first I heard but w/e. NMS went silent becusse they got burnt on promising too many open concepts meant diff things to diff people meaning nobody could be satisfied. I think they are very careful of what they do release but they still need more general adverting to bring in a steady flow of new players

2 Likes

My gut feeling has always been (with absolutely zero evidence to back it up) that what can and cannot be shared publicly is dictated to them by their agreement with Square Enix. Again… I have no evidence to back that up.

But I’m fairly certain that both the devs and SE want success for this game, they want sales, they want the game to be big… they don’t do this just as an expensive hobby I’m quite sure. So surely they must have evidence of a very solid development plan in order to keep the publishers satisfied.

9 Likes
  1. I believe i have read some where in one of the previous topics that the dev’s basically gave a reason why they where not advertising as much.
    It was something along these lines.
    Time to better the game and time for community (suggestions, feedback, and what not).Budget not a problem (for a very long time).
    Again don’t know in withs topic this was mentioned and frankly don’t want to scroll trough them all again to find it. But is was a pretty recent post.

2. Small number on steam… but it doesn’t count PS4 players… or does it?

3. A road map would be nice but if i am honest don’t really care as we get updated frequently on what they are working on.
    Now its just bettering the beacon system by adding compactness and reclaim. (What in some cases is highly needed).

4. New people join in the life of boundless on regular intervals some stay and some move on.
    And hard headed boundless players take a break for a (little) while but that doesn’t mean the won’t return. I take breaks all the time just to recharge my battery, get ideas or what ever. But i can tell you even if i am gone for a week/month/year i will come back to boundless.

5. My opinion i am glad they are focusing on stuff we have in the game and making it better.
    New stuff is always welcome but isn’t it easier to build on something that is fixed? Then having to fix it after?

11 Likes

So please don’t count me as one of the people that cant stay invested.

5 Likes

I know it’s a small community, but the 130 is only counting the pc players, keep in mind that there also ps4 players, which would make the number 250 to 300 active players that get on at different times during the day or week. But I am not sure if the exact number of ps4 players.

2 Likes

Lol as I guessed :wink:

Well you can count me :joy::rofl::joy::rofl: as PS4 and know of give or take 20 peeps more for sure that are PS4 and also pretty much in boundless all the time^^

1 Like

Cough, cough, DK

4 Likes