Okay devs... Here's one of the reasons why some people can't stay invested into the game

Thats 10 :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

Well, 300 still very small number as MMORPG I think.
But I think the major reason is they release way too much planet when game just release.
The system they used to spawn new planet is rely on population.
When game just released, they got a lot of people to join, so the system spawn a lot of planets too.

But I think they didn’t expect the population drop too fast, which make a lot of planet very dead at the moment. If we have less planets, maybe people won’t feel 300 player base at different time zone is bad.

This why we haven’t get new planet for very long time until they release the exo-planet this feature.

1 Like

Count me as a PS4 player who is fully invested and highly addicted to Boundless. I’ll never stop until I physically cannot play any longer for whatever ungodly reason.

I sliced through my left thumb with a box cutter in January and STILL played (with my index finger instead…I do have 4 other fingers on that hand!), despite any pain accidentally moving that thumb caused.

I’m FULLY invested, despite any lack of attention to this forum. :grin:

8 Likes

They’re actually much smaller than you might think. If you check out the game credits, there are only 14 employees in the company and not all of those are developers.

I just want to reiterate, in discussions like these… the player numbers being thrown around are in fact concurrent players (people playing at the same time), not total players (all players that play the game). If you’re talking about total players, I would estimate those to be somewhere in the region of 2000 - 2500 active players (but that is only my own estimation, not fact - it could well be much more than that, as not all players play every day). [Edit: Total players is actually more than that - See reply from James Below]

For some slightly more accurate player numbers than the steam charts, here’s a list of all concurrent players (both PC and PS4), on the permanent worlds (not including exos), for the past month…

Date (Y-M-D) Max Concurrent Players Min Concurrent Players Average Concurrent Players
2020-03-31 201 81 141
2020-03-30 210 80 141
2020-03-29 267 94 170
2020-03-28 241 90 166
2020-03-27 207 80 139
2020-03-26 219 70 139
2020-03-25 216 77 140
2020-03-24 202 76 140
2020-03-23 235 65 149
2020-03-22 254 80 164
2020-03-21 255 74 162
2020-03-20 204 0 132
2020-03-19 201 64 134
2020-03-18 194 66 132
2020-03-17 196 61 124
2020-03-16 200 63 127
2020-03-15 208 78 153
2020-03-14 220 76 143
2020-03-13 183 74 125
2020-03-12 174 63 115
2020-03-11 199 61 131
2020-03-10 197 67 127
2020-03-09 209 63 132
2020-03-08 238 115 171
2020-03-07 238 109 170
2020-03-06 202 79 144
2020-03-05 189 84 138
2020-03-04 191 83 130
2020-03-03 197 77 136
2020-03-02 222 77 143
2020-03-01 263 106 179
12 Likes

There might be other reasons why a studio would develop a game and have just enough players to test how it works. For example developing an engine that they would sell to other companies to base their games on. There are already voxel engines that are developed for the sole purpose of selling. I don’t know what to think about devs direction because they are completely mute about it and my imagination is running wild.

YMMV but my will to invest time in a game, that I’m not assured will be around next year, has run out. My mind just can’t justify this silence. I’ve been paying gleam club since it started. Bought cubits many times because plots and resetting skill points. I’m not into putting anything else into the game until it reaches proper maturity regarding player base or devs at least try to explain what’s the plan.

I visit forums for news, and log in occasionally to see what’s new.

Edit: just to clarify, I’m completely fine with current features, I don’t miss anything big, and I really like the game. Sole reason why I don’t play is uncertainty.

7 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

Lol my whole point.its so small…it would be awesome to see it grow…there was more playing few times through the year and it was awesome…

D: I’m not on 24/7 Running in Circles nibbles on ma :cookie:

5 Likes

then how about any of the developers’ setup funding for advertisement? and we can donate to it
and we get shown proof advertisement has been made, just saying because advertising issues seem to be mentioned always don’t forget and I say it again. it’s not always the developers that kill the game its the players! we also can contribute to help with an advertisement, streaming, sharing on social media I know no-one is perfect and games are the same, not every game is perfect. every game has its pros and cons just accept it. the only thing you could do is suggest changes with the whole community to better the game for everyone not just for yourself.
boundless has had so many changes happening compared to other games, trust me you won’t find devs like boundless that are involved in their game as much to better the game for everyone.
most changes get accepted either for the good or the bad.
from the start of boundless, we are just becoming more ‘‘bound’’ when is this going to stop, please!
come with suggestions not with demands.

@Cyklisk sorry it should not be a reply to you xD pressed the wrong reply my apologies
should have been a general reply to it

5 Likes

Potty breaks and nappy’s are needed to you know😉.
No problem nibbling down a :cookie: thats crumbling down my keyboard or controller. (Swim in them crumbles if need be).

1 Like

I was so confused. Heheh :+1:

1 Like

I think a lot of players feel this way, and a lot who have left felt this way too. I had trouble myself committing to and starting big projects in game for this reason. I think knowing a little more from the devs would help a lot.

4 Likes

We used to get road maps that looked like this:

But sometimes things change. As with almost all game company’s big updates, things can pop up that wasn’t there on the test server that need to be tweaked first, before continuing on with the next update. A perfect example of something that wasn’t really planned was the buffer plots. Then those got abused and had to be reworked. Which set back other incoming updates, but needed to be done immediately.

Sure the big updates aren’t getting pumped out as fast as we wish, but they’re taking care of what needs to be fixed or reworked in the live server first. So their priorities are in the right place.

Yes, the population size is sad, but we’re a pretty tight gaming family here and that works out wonderfully!

9 Likes

Entertainingly, I’m almost the opposite. I’m not keen on the level of grind that I feel this game has (which permeates most features), yet the biggest reason that I don’t play (but still hang around) is that we can be fairly certain that a future “known” feature (player owned planets) will come, and that’s when I might be able to enjoy it so I don’t even try to until it does.

In fact, when the reclaim system comes into effect, I’ll finally be able to turn off the GC and let my character hibernate for a while.

2 Likes

I log in fuel my portals stock my store then go play something else. BECAUSE Im not wasting time building things according to a compactness score (I dont get or like) just to have it removed and put in some box because someone with more Dev clout complains.As soon as that compactness update hits Ill decide on leaving or staying.

3 Likes

Urgly naked Oortian character model with diapers is a big minus.
The previous EA models were even much better.

5 Likes

We might get another road map, once some of the fixes go in. Like private creative planets, plot compactness, reclaim system, etc.

Sounds like they had to double back to fix some problems before proceeding with new items/content.

Which makes sense to me. I really dont have a problem with compactness. I think it will be good for the game. I think the reservation perimeter is great too and the reclaim system. I like the way the game is going and I am happy to see the devs resolving problems when they come up.

Please no wipes though. I couldn’t handle losing my almost 1000 hours of builds.

2 Likes

Well it might not be a big deal for you to build in a box but it stifles creativity for some. I would never have had a compactness issue either had someone not tried to box me in and I had to plot my way out using the one open plot I had left to road my way out. Having had to do that though gave me the creative idea of building a rural road and building lil rural towns going down on each side but you see now it will end up being erased so with that it kinda killed my drive to create.

2 Likes

Totally understandable, it will affect others differently based on experience of course. Though, I think the goal is for no space to be wasted in an online environment, and to prevent space reserving abuse.

1 Like

@Stretchious it on target here :dart:

Boundless currently has a pretty constant 3500 MAU (monthly active users). This is 3500 unique players who play at least once per month. And our engagement ratio which is often determined by the ratio of DAU to MAU (daily actives against monthly) is over 40% - which is considered pretty good.

BUT! Clearly we want the game to grow, clearly we want more players in the game, clearly we want the worlds to be busier - and we’re working on the features and improvements that we believe will help achieve this.

When we look at the negative reviews Boundless receives - many commented about the Beacon system and “how terrible it is”. Clearly the system can’t be removed as it’s the foundation for all permissions and interactions in the game. But the punishment players face when their beacon expires was never intended to be a punishment. The Reclaim system resolves this partially. We have a range of other improvements in the pipeline that aim to address other issues raised in negative reviews.

62 Likes