Online connection only works using a vpn

Hi,
I brought the game for PC two days ago. At first, I could connect to a world but the ping was jumping between 60ms and “unplayable”, with the game being unplayable indeed. Yesterday I couldn’t even enter a world, just the message “Unable to connect to world” was displayed.
I’ve now tried using a vpn service which lets the game run without any issues, but this obliviously isn’t an acceptable solution. Other online games work fine.
Any help would be appreciated.

Do you experience Unplayable on all worlds or some specific? VPN can improve connection to regions which are not close to your location. Can you try connecting to the world that is in your region?
Here is the list of worlds by regions http://boundlesscrafting.com/worlds

I’m connected to Antar VI and I live in Germany, so central Europe should fit.
I forgot to mention, I tried to connect to Australian and US servers as well, which also didn’t work.

1 Like

Have you tried setting up chunk download rate? It can be pretty taxing on connection if it’s set too high.

Also this test might help out determining what is the issue:

I got there results for EU and I’m from Europe:

|Europe (Ireland) |86 ms|
|Europe (London) |90 ms|
|Europe (Frankfurt) |78 ms|
|Europe (Paris) |86 ms|

that is method from this FAQ topic:

You might want to read through the first post and follow instructions for tests.

I’m sure one of the devs will respond soon :slight_smile:

Those are my results:

Blockquote
|Europe (Ireland)|48 ms|
|Europe (London)|33 ms|
|Europe (Frankfurt)|33 ms|
|Europe (Paris)|39 ms|
<

Also Speedtest.net:

Thank you for your urge to help me btw :slight_smile:

1 Like

Than it might be high chunk download rate. Hit esc to go to settings than select network tab, though your connection is fast it might help.

You are welcome :joy:

Nope, that didn’t help either…

I did some more research and it could be my routers firewall blocking the games servers ports. I can’t disable the firewall altogether for testing unfortunately, so could a dev tell me which ports I have to open to connect to the servers?

@james @vdragon help needed here

Same issue here if this is the case. If there are ports that need exceptions please let us know what ports to create a rule for.