Oort Art Online

Zouls, please excuse me if I’m misunderstanding, but it seems as though you are implying that because a boss (Titan) re-spawns and is instanced it is easy to kill or that it is not worth doing so because then anyone can do it.

I personally do not think that this is the case and (again excuse me if I am misunderstanding) I believe that was the point that @Grey707 was trying to make.

If the fights require group coordination and strategy, (and if the Titans have enough health and hit hard enough) then there is no reason to assume that just because they re-spawn or are instanced that killing a Titan is not going to be difficult. I will agree that if the bosses are easy to kill then there is no point in doing so; I will also agree that making them never re-spawn would make it quite prestigious to kill one. However, what happens 5 years (or more) from now when a new (possibly even hardcore) player gets into this game and finds that all of the endgame content was beaten a couple of years beforehand and he/she has no reason to play the game. This is (I think) obviously not the desired outcome.

1 Like

Fair point. ofc i want there to always be titans to kill (which is why i look forward to daily/weekly worlds) but i feel it would be nicer if that when they died they stayed dead, and then maybe a few days to a week after there would be a new titan somewhere else in the world.

I can definitely see your point as well, but I think with the amount of players that may start playing this game once it is released, a “never re-spawn” model wouldn’t really accommodate the number of players that Oort Online may get. I agree that it’s okay that a truly casual player may not get a chance to beat (or even fight) a Titan; that being said, however, if this game gets big enough, (and I hope it does) there won’t even be enough Titans to go around for all of the hardcore players. Then the game becomes who can get to and kill the Titan the fastest from when it spawns. Competition is good, but not getting a chance to kill something just because you are at work when the servers reset (and someone halfway around the world is at home playing the game) isn’t any fun. At that point players are being held back based upon their real-world location and not their in-game skill.

Now, to be clear, all of my above opinions are based on some possibly incorrect assumptions about what a daily/weekly world might be and how it might work. I’ve heard them mentioned before, but I don’t know anything specific about them. Would you mind pointing me in the direction of a thread where these are discussed in more detail (if it exists)?

maybe. i think ben mentioned them in a podcast he was in called the beard the pretty and the something and just oort online.
and the idea kinda stuck. this is a special ideal world, a principle, in case they make worlds with different rule sets. this would be great for RP. there will prob be worlds where titans are plentiful and where they are few. my look at it is not that there will be no more titans, but rather when you kill one another would be generated somewhere else.

Ah, okay cool. I’ll have to keep an eye out for that and see if I can find it anywhere.

And yes, I absolutely agree that generating a new Titan in a new location is a better idea. Maybe they could make some of these encounters more like the world events that GW2 had (has? don’t know if they still exist or not, I haven’t played in a while). I actually really enjoyed that world event system a lot and I thought it made the world feel more alive and active if that makes sense.

yeah the small events were really cool. BUT some of them are really bad and the same everytime, 1 in particular kept getting back after 1 min of completing it, and all you had to do was dive around and collect plants which was extremely hard to find and that would require NPC quest givers in my head.

Why not do it like this?:

Each world will have a Titan, yes? Each titan will hold a door to another world. That titan is hard as ■■■■■ to beat. Killing one means you and your party have coordinated a perfect assault, with no gift of a second chance to defeat it. What I mean with this is that if you die against it there is no second chances. The temple is sealed to you for ever, and you cannot try again.
This also implies that in other parts of the world you will get tips and certain things that will help you defeating the Titan. So you are forced to explore and cannot rush the Titan, or you’ll loose your chance forever.
This “help” are legendary gear that can only be found in certain places, and it is kept well hidden and protected by small bosses, that even though aren’t as nearly as though as a titan they are hard enough. They have a drop-rate of this certain legendary gears. To balance out people that cannot defeat such monsters, there are also tips around the world, in abandoned temples that hold mysterious codes and cyphers written on the walls, with no real boss fights. The challenge will be completely mental and only the smartest and wittiest of exlporers will get the tips.
Of course, once someone deciphers the tips, they will most probably leak them, but they might not do it too, since their only chance of beating the Titan would be given away. This will remove the need for strategy guides.

Once a party of friends who travelled the land searching for this codes and gear get to the Titan’s territory, an incredible fight begins. The fight is hard as heck, and beating the titan is way more than just going in with tips and a couple of god-tier swords.

As they defeat it, a door to another world opens, and a monolith appears in the middle of the room. The monolith now depicts the name of the few that could take down this incredible beast, with another passage to a room hidden under the titan’s lair: A rematch zone. In this place, you can summon the titan again, and let other players have a go at it, but their name won’t be written anywhere. Also, this second titan will be a toned down version of the first. Don’t get this wrong, it would be still be a tough fight, but it wont be as tough, and it won’t drop the same level of loot.

This would accoplate all your ideas, as beating a titan is now a matter of not a race, but a race of wits and exploration. It is a challenge and adds a bit of competition. What can also be done is have other objetives in-game as well as the titan run. I’ll post in a bit about this, but what I mean is that for players that have no chance of beating a titan say it is because a titan is too hard for them or they simply don’t want to risk it or are too casual, to have a chance of shining in another way. But for now this allows for a good lore.

1 Like

Yes, some were bad, I’ll agree with that for sure, but the concept is great and I think it could be something that (if done well) could add a lot of excitement and fun to the game

I like this concept, and I may warm up to it eventually, but my knee-jerk reaction is that I don’t want to be punished (in the form of not getting another chance once I fail) for trying to be the first group to kill a Titan.

EDIT:

Everything else in that post is pretty cool though! I like the idea of the portals not opening until you beat a Titan, and I like the idea of getting your name on a statue and having the boss re-spawn for re-matches that still drop loot for others. These are all really cool ideas!

1 Like

you and your freaking wall writing man xD

saying you have 1 chance? that is waaay too hardcore.also just ‘‘giving away’’ free legendary gear is a horrible idea.

but in the end it suits my purpose. also i dont mind a rematch titan as long as the first one is hard, and gives better stuff. and that people will actually be remembered for being the first to slaughter the titan.

1 Like

But if you had more than one chance you would simply go in, try, die, and then form a strategy again to beat him.

It’s not Oort Art Online, its Sword Oort Online =D
I like your idea though.

yes. that is how games work. trial and error. which is why i suggested when you enter you either kill it or it kills you. no way to leave. if you all die then you will be locked out for 24 hours. (so a guild with time can try 3 times in a weekend, if they make it 25 man its going to be hard to gather enough people at all times.)

1 Like

True, true.

I’d be cool with titans being like bosses of each world (there should be multiple per world imo), but they should drop a material necessary for a portal, so you have to beat titans to find new worlds. Not like a sao progression dealio though… that would get annoyin.

1 Like

Hey some thoughts on that. how about going with each titan will hold a door to another world that’s covered by a seal. Also having different worlds that are for different levels so like say a level 25 titan which would be for a world with players in that range but have the titan strong enough to take on a big group of level 40 players. And you’re probably thinking well what if higher levels do it? Well they cant its sealed off to anyone higher than level 35 That way the titan is always a beast for that world and players at that level.

However what if you die well i liked the idea of having it sealed off to the ones that tried but not the never being able to try again so how about giving them there “one” free try and after that they get a quest this quest will take them on a search to find some kind of fortress, dungeon, or something where they have to fight a small legion of enemies, 2 generals, and a boss where at the end instead of getting a bone handed to them they get some key like item to unseal the titans lair to get an extra try and the journey itself gives them EXP training practices and maybe some interesting items but these are also reasonable items.

I like the idea of a Weekly re-spawn allowing new players to retry if the titan is killed then the first group to do so gets the rights and names engraved on the seal so any future players can see that these player slayed the titan and broke the seal which no one else did before.

that way items could be rare and also sold making them not able to dominate the game making it easier to win PVE or PVP in the future however still getting something cool out of it.

As for avoiding strategist well that could be fun for players to do but to make it harder make the titans randomized that way you don’t know what titan you’re getting
So say theirs 500 different titans you’re only going to get one and if you leave the liar thats the same as a defeat and when you come back its new YAY what you going to do now lol

and as the game goes on then the number of titans will grow players can form quests and stories around players that break the seal.

ben posted the idea of how it would work, and it is nearly identical to mine. so not much use discussing it now.

Sadface :disappointed_relieved:

what. go read the plan. it looks freaking epic.

ok whats the title of it?