Oort stone farming: Mob drops vs Meteor event drops

Not in this update but in future updates they’ll have unique drops which you need for crafting new recipes.

11 Likes

HOME WORLD
2 meteorites, which were 2 minutes of easy fight each, gave me 7 oort stones. Between 10 and 15 minutes have passed between entering the world (my beacon) to finishing the second meteorite. I traveled around 200-300 blocks away and back.
I would need some 10 minutes of running around my Munteen base and fighting lvl3-5 mobs to get that. So, time-wise kinda same, but meteorites were easier and I only used copper sling, while normal oort hunt will make me use silver/titanium/gem ones.

MOON WORLD
1 meteorite 2-3 minutes after entering my portal to Septerfon. I only moved some 100 blocks away.
Had to go through 5 minutes of intense fight (going down to around 1/4 of my health and needed to eat cooked meat).
Got 4 oort stones. Had to use silver sling.
Looks like more difficult than home world meteorites for kinda same reward. Although it would be better to go through 10 and more events to see more accurate data on how much oort one can get on average.

All solo hunt with 30+ level hunter with 4000+ HP and max health regen (100 per 5 sec).

1 Like

Yikes!!! Seems as of this update Oort stones are gonna be more scarce.
Alright devy devs, ol’ Buddy ol’ pals…can you tell us the thought process behind this decision? Maybe it’ll help us accept and navigate towards the kind of gameplay you guys would like. :blush:

2 Likes

Well, I just pointed out that meteorites are happening often and are easy enough to make it up for no oort on 3-4 level mobs (5th level got it back I think I remember an update by James saying that).
FIRST: meteorites are exciting and provide an intense fighting experience without need of running around waiting for mobs to spawn.
SECOND: they seem to give enough drops to replace 3 and 4 level mobs if it comes to oort stone source.

Yeah but as a lone player such as myself who usually isnt available to hunt with groups I’m not looking forward to having to go out on lone meteor hunts, having to fight a bunch of mobs, just so I can get 10 or so Oort. I think that either the mobs should still drop Oort or the meteor payout should be higher. Correct me if I’m wrong but as of right now the only way to get Oort is to fight off mobs which will be frustrating to those not skilled for battle, an then break the meteor. I know that roadrunners still give Oort but cmon…those things are so annoying to chase down just for 1 or 2 Oort. I’m just saying that if the most I’m gonna get after a big battle is 10 Oort then I would most likely stick to using other players portals and donating the little Oort I do come across. And actually that’s not a bad thing. This style of Oort gathering might make portals more valuable which in turn would make hunting meteors a new fun thing to do. I however don’t get to play very often and when I do play I’d rather build then hunt. Either way I’m totally willing and excited to adapt to whatever gameplay changes come our way. It’s not gonna change my mind on the awesomesauce that is boundless. :grin:

6 Likes

I can very much relate to this statement. 99% of my shards and stones come from donations. i will have to do some meteor chasing after work to get a good feel for how it will work but building is my first love in this game.

5 Likes

I gave it a whirl today and walked away with 29 stones. I felt it was was a decent enough payout for an hour of good fun! I did spec. a little into resist after all that though, hoping to take on some tougher mobs later.

2 Likes

As I said, I was hunting alone. On home planet you get a few wildstock and a couple of spitters - easy to beat abd oort stones are flying.

2 Likes

You shouldn’t have to go to a starter planet to farm Oort as a lone player. That is gaming the system in fact… Meteor’s on a ring world are not easy alone when you have 4-5 cuttles spawning at once.

Whether meteors are exciting or not that means nothing in the ability to farm a substance. As for the drops that has yet to be seen until we have long term numbers. We went from multiple sources of Oort down to 2 sources. That is a nerf in the ability to get it no matter what the counts are.

The only effective way is to now use a live meteor because all completed meteors do not give much Oort. I feel for those that don’t want to do all this solo hunting and try to manage portals and building. But I do agree that Oort should not be so much everywhere that we have so many portals. We already have portals connecting to the same places. Look how Vultpo Unincorporated 1.0 has grown in portals over the past 3 weeks.

1 Like

Remember that as a low level player you dont need oort stones as you cant even build portals yet.
So, its not a worry to be low level and not being able to effectively fight meteorite mobs. You just don’t do it.

As you progress and oort stones are of interest to you, you also have skills and weapons to be able to do it.

If you don’t want to do it, you create more of a builder or miner than hunter character and do other things. ooort stones will be available in the market. If you plan to have portals at all. You can easily decide you will use portals of other players/guilds and be a miner or explorer or builder for your own use (or to work for others for coins or items).

2 Likes

I have done 4 meteorites on my home planet (Therka). And I’ve gotten 2 oort stones, then 1, then 3, then one. Along with tech fragments. The rewards feels underwhelming. I also feel like I’m getting spammed my meteorites a bit too much. It looks so cool when you see a meteorite fall off, but when they keep on raining it’s getting old quick.

I would like it if meteorites drop rate get reduced by a lot, but are made harder and give better loot.

1 Like

Everything you mention boundmore is a side reason and excuse that doesn’t address the concerns that were brought up.

Another source of oortstones is to buy them from shops or via a request basket. IMO this is a totally valid way of gathering resources that requires no combat and time. And it happens asynchronously so can happen whilst you’re offline.

5 Likes

Oort is pretty pricey across the realms to purchase… we see how the market changes with the cutting down in direct “sources” to Oort now. Since counts from the new sources haven’t fully come in for a few weeks.

But from a builder point like Cook was trying to communicate, etc he still had some good points.

(edit: see my post on Fire Caverns portal network and the section there about costs. This showed the cost in current market price Oort to run it. Data from the Fire Caverns Portal Network

1 Like

I don’t agree. This “side” reasons are important if you want to see bigger picture and how the game is balancing availability of certain resources. I’m not saying things are balanced perfectly at the moment, but I don’t see a problem with oort stones being limited to runners, can’t agree with your statement that the runners are too difficult to hunt, and I was pointing out that if a player finds hunting difficult, there is always market there to get needed items.

So, I think my points were valid in the discussion here.

As additional note: at the moment we lack a lot of resources that will be added in game later in future. That’s why we had a situation where many mobs were dropping oort stones. It was temporary fix so we can get enough oort stones for portals.
The same way you can look at all mob drops. In future each creature will have unique drops, so again some drops will be limited to 1-2 mobs rather than dropped by many of them. Thats the direction of changes at the moment. And a lot of players agree that current drops are too rich and its too easy to get gems and other stuff from creature drops.
I for once cant wait to see drops being limited to one particular species, so I will have hunts for that certain type of creature to get what I need. (While atm as an example, I avoid hunting hoppers and as their drops can be easily replaced through hunting wildstock and through mining).

As for balancing: sure I can imagine that there are no meteorites on starting worlds as well as changing their spawn rate. However, I don’t think limiting sources of oort stones to roadrunners and meteorites is a problem.

Great… but there are others that disagree with you on the ease of them. And I did not say they were “too difficult”. I said they should not run off your radar in a different post. I also said 2 ways to gain a resource is very restrictive.

If you are going to respond then focus on the points I make not things that I did not bring up. Not to mention stating something that is known to a player is condescending and dismissive. That is not answering the person’s statement in any constructive way.

I’m not playing the game in the future. I am playing it now and paid actual money for it. Future states of the game have no real value since there is no confirmation that they will end up like you say. It makes more sense to focus on current game dynamics than a possible option that might never show or could take years to develop.

I wasnt trying to be dismissive, just to show a different point of view. Sorry, if I sounded like I wanted to make your point of view wrong. It’s not about right/wrong - just different views on things.

Playing early access, by the way, is not just for fun and for now, but also to help develop game and shape its future, so its not fair to say “I paid money, I want the game to be perfect (or the way I want)”.

Long story short: we both represent different views of certain changes introduced in the last update and its fine. Devs will sure look at both sides of the coin before balancing things. Lets stop our little quote vs. quote argument and leave our points of view for others to ponder.

2 Likes

What is this guys problem, its a disscution. Not scrutinizing whether stuff fits into your opinion and getting snoody and over defensive.

2 Likes

After a day of playing with meteors on Nasharil, I’d say that the drops from active comets themselves seem to be a wash (equal) to pure mob hunting before, the difference being in the drops off mobs as I clear the comet. The danger factor is definitely higher, and likely not worth it for most players, as I have maxed hps, maxed combat, and maxed passive regen.

Mob drops in general are much better, and are honestly the safest and best approach to farming.

2 Likes

i agreed i like mob better but meteor is easy to get if u wait a day if not taken by then