Oort tv

Just a random thought but i think it would be cool to have screens that could clip together (signs) and display player made video that could be shot on handheld/ placed cameras (similarly to looking through a portal) have it run on spark. Then fans could watch IML right from the stadium or have security cameras displayed in tower top office

2 Likes

Y E S! LETS DO THIS ! yes. PLZ LISTEN JAMES!

1 Like

I think this would be more hassle than it’d be worth, sadly. Steaming a live, moving image can take a bunch of bandwidth.

I remember a thing someone created in Gary’s Mod, which could play YouTube videos for everyone to see.
I mean, it could, but it’d often get pretty laggy and eventually just make the server unplayable in some cases. The more online players, the worse it’d be.

1 Like

how are portals done then? you can see others through the portal

Portals are different, in the sense they’re usually not bigger than 2-4 blocks, and show clientside upon looking at them.

A screen would be a force-rendered, inaccessible portal, rendering beside portals.
Depending on how many people use them, you’d end up with severe server latency in some city areas, as the game is pretty much forced to show those screens.

Plus, let’s not even begin to think about the effects of an “infinite loop” on a screen being stared at directly by a camera.

I’m no programmer with knowledge about the engine, but I’ve got experience enough to heavily assume this would be a nightmare for developers in-terms of resource hogging. Sadly.

A portal connects the player to the other server and your game client renders the two worlds simultaneously using the block, player position etc data as if you were standing there. The offworld location is masked to match the portal shape and kind of overlayed on top of the normal screen. No image data being sent.

A 1x2 portal uses the same amount of data as a 10x10 portal.

That still doesn’t solve the issue of immense data usage passively being required for screens and such being placed in the world.

It wouldn’t really be feasible.

Nope, just explaining how they work.

They’d basically be identical to portals, instead of the camera being placed relative to the player, it’d be controlled somehow else, be it static or moving. Portals aren’t cheap to load and keep open, which is why they’re only loaded when you actually look at it.

1 Like

Yeah, exactly.
It’s a shame though, because I’d love to have a giant 50x50 screen with nothing but a spinning loaf upscaled to hell.

1 Like

it could be max size 2x4. to avoid lag we could make it exactly like portals. not viewing where it leads until you look at it and it loads.