Oortstone supply

We should remember the many in the community did not agree or ask for Beacon’s being fueled automatically. That decision went against all conversation and larger agreements of the community that if you were going to have a beacon you needed to play the game. Yes the decision changed things but very many were not happy it happened even though maybe we all just accept it now even though it was not a requirement at all.

So a 1x2 runs for 5 weeks without the need to fuel. Additionally, you can throw an advanced lock on it and allow any friend or guild or guild mate to fuel it. I still don’t see the value add. Worse case, if you are not playing the game you can easily close the portal and turn it back on when you get back.

No offense meant, but it seems more like another attempt to get the developers to give those running large amounts of portals or huge ones another way to keep them from having to fuel the situation they created.

I can see how it makes sense to some people but I really believe it is the wrong approach. We already have people worried about some Oort crisis where there is clearly none. Added to that we have plenty of people that are tired of using meteors for the only option of Oort or having griefing problems during hunts. It just seems more sense to solve the problem across the board by giving us other ways to get Oort outside of people having to pay for it. I think if we solved that problem first and then maybe thought about paying for Oort it could be ok, but in the end we need to solve things in the game without requiring outside money.

There has been a lot of conjecture and assumptions on a whole host of details around “server load,” “revenue,” etc. So people are really making suggestions when they don’t even know if there is a problem. We have not seen any nerf on portal amounts so we should be assuming that there are not problems instead of just making ones up out of the blue because we have a subconscious objective to try to get more Oort for our Portal addictions.

I don’t see how giving out Oort is any different than giving out anything that was paid money for. They all are the same breaking of the game by using outside money. In the plot context it was because of a decision that they needed backers, while the “mask” and other things we can buy in the store are for look customization. I don’t see any “coin” or anything that is an in game resource by paying money. Oort would be the first and is definitely pushing even more into a P2W scenario.

People have warp conduits and plenty of locations to do this. Plus I don’t see any recent developer comment or posting that says they are in a dangerous server/bandwidth/etc scenario and that the community must help them solve that problem. It is a made up issue right now.

2 Likes

I really want rental planets to be a thing… maybe rental planets could be within warp distance of all planets…?

2 Likes

That’s cool, I know this topic was likely to result in strong opinions, totally admit I could be wrong on - well, pretty much everything, haha. :wink: Just tossing out my thoughts as they stand now - I do think this is good as I said, to talk about this to give the devs a feel for our thoughts. Could be they’d never even consider doing this, but who knows? Can’t hurt to have the discussion at least. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So much yes.

2 Likes

Back to not engaging with you.

You asked a question, I gave a clear answer. You attempt to invalidate your own question with a bunch of irrelevant gibberish, then pose the same question again.

I don’t care “how different it is”. You didn’t ask “how different it is”. I don’t know if it’s a “real problem” and you didn’t ask if it’s a “real problem”.

You asked how it’s different, I provided a clear answer. If you have counter points you could provide them, but instead you choose to try and invalidate the relevance of the answer to a question that you posed.

??? :exploding_head:

2 Likes

I disagree. If this was the case, there would not be a shortage of oort due to everyone trying to open/maintain portals. The issue is very real and not made up at all. I don’t think anyone’s concerns should be dismissed. Do you maintain portals?

1 Like

Personally I rarely see or think people are wrong on anything. It is about context and approach and perspective to me when I look at solutions. Each side has plenty of merits until you start to drill downward… On one level I could completely see the reasons and agree to them, but I am just not at that level right now. I am looking at it from a different perspective that creates a precedent or a whole host of other things down the line.

The decisions they made on GC introduced issues to the game. This would introduce more. ETC… I just fear the more issues and other things we get will lead to more perm problems with the game and not less. We see how the buffer zones were added for 1 thing and never really solve why people wanted them, etc… lol…

While I do agree many times it doesn’t hurt to have the discussion, I have seen things that came up and then were assumed to be an actual problem that they then spent time to solve when it wasn’t really needed. So I guess I just don’t want that to happen here.

Oortstone has no supply issue. Any person can easily go out and “generate” it in seconds. We might have a distribution and acquisition problem but supply is infinite because it is always generated in the game.

Yes, it seems like there are less people willing to hunt and collect/sell oort - so people that rely on purchasing it for their portals are SOL. A lot of hunters are saying they don’t feel like it’s worth their time anymore. I dunno what the solution is.

2 Likes

I used to hunt all the time. Certain hunt(s) said "play boundless how you like’ and had multiple accounts afk sucking up free oort while doing no work. As a result there were a small amount of players that actively played during these hunts. I quit going as a result. Found another hunt in less ideal hours so started only doing hunts 1-3 days a month, with them. My oort/hour went up quite a bit because everyone in this group was playing actively… Prior to that I would hunt every day for 1.5 hours or so. So now I barely hunt and just smash rocks and mine and goo collect on exos, and when I get tired of that I start mass crafting blocks and build for a few days.

If we let people buy oort then why not trophy’s as well or everything else in game, if they do buy oort, that would lead to them opening more portals which would only lead us back here. it’s just hard to run portals if you can’t hunt or buy it that’s all. I ran around serp last night and found a meteor in every region. Don’t know about getting less oort tho, not paid attention if so that just means more meteors which of course I don’t mind

One reason people quit hunting is simple burn out. I mean c’mon, how many nights can you just hunt meteors… over and over…

Maybe we need more fun ways to get Oort? Dungeons? Who knows.

1 Like

Sadly, this Oort situation, whether real or perceived, may be pushing the game into another “dark” era - the Oort Economy Crash. Oort prices soar, portals close, couple other things happen and then we’re back to normal only with less portals.

1 Like

Solution: Mineable or Gathered Oort

Other options to get Oort without hunting.

The Dark Ages can solve a lot of things. Less portals and more isolation might be nicer. But as I said before - portals are just an addiction to people running them. They could easily close them.

4 Likes

We could always build fewer portals, build closer to hubs/cities/etc. Seems like a good solution also. Less wasteful, quit using every last drop of resource the planets give us. Funny how this game experiment mimics real life so well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, when we opened all these portals we just assumed there would always be more Oort… The situation is not yet critical but we are getting the first hints of seismic activity. Maybe people will just capitalize on the scare and go hunt Oorts for profit? Those of us who aren’t trying to run 9+ portals at least.

We will look back on this and say:

16 Likes

Remember back when footfall was broken? That was a rough month or so :joy:

2 Likes

8 Likes

And this “shortage” is just lack of EU hunt leaders in general, yeah?

4 Likes

We want more money!

Internet money
we are on strike

2 Likes