Outpost hijacked

Really I think more planets will solve a lot of problems like these. I have talked about it before, but more planets does not mean we lose anything. People will still congregate to build settlements. But, in the current state of the game, there simply is no “untamed wilderness.” It doesn’t exist. We’ve explored all of it!

3 Likes

I think I’ll probably opt to host a server. This is what I usually do. I did it on Ark because holy ■■■■■, the amount of pillering in that game is ludicrous. This is where I think the Boundless devs have really showed a spark of genius - by awarding players plots based on progression. When the time comes and I do host the server, all pre-release players are more than welcome to join, although I generally don’t moderate and leave people to play the game they want to without breathing down their necks. I also keep the same settings as the main game - none of this x8 gathering, no fun in that.

7 Likes

I dont think there will be any settings available to customize. Private worlds will be there to give you quiet environment with controlled flow of players in it, but you will be free to explore all the public worlds (meaning your private server/world won’t be separated from others) and there is no point in giving players advantage of setting progression speed and such as that would cancel equality.

Only guessing though. Just what common sense tells me (or whatever that is I take for common sense :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

3 Likes

That sounds cool. I hope they can implement private being able to explore public, but I’m not sure how they would do this. Or, I just can’t remember if this has ever been an option in other games.

I know for sure private only means having choice of who can enter your world, but the whole idea of Boundless is to have one universe for all. Private worlds will be like private computers in the internet - just a bit of a firewall and malware to shield you off is all.

I am not sure about some game settings being open to customization or not. I hope all will have same rules but its the devs who can say some more. Might find an older post somewhere.

2 Likes

Im sorry I gave you wrong info.
There will be private servers not connected to the main game universe.
I remembered it wrong.
I forgot about the point 3 from the post below. Only remembered the first two.

2 Likes

This is cool, thank you!

Are there any Devs on here that can say if beacons will eventually have the option to opt in or out of becoming part of a hamlet, town, city etc … my particular place that I built was intentionally built far away from anyone else as a little retreat with a portal to Munteen where I have a shop which is part of a city … I just want to be able to choose if I want to be part of a community rather than have it forced on me regardless. … Am I supposed to now spend stupid amounts of hours deconstructing my place, looking for somewhere else to build and then starting all over again … until the next person decides to do the same thing!!

1 Like

The Devs do have plans to put something in that solves the situation of builds being absorbed by other builds and settlement take over. We don’t have any other real details on their plans…

So I understand this, the official public and private servers will connect to the same universe? So if I decided to purchase one to have my own planet, I would still be in the same universe and interact with players from the official public server? If so, I could deal with that. Then only the self hosted server would not connect to the official universe servers?

That’s correct yes. The intention with self-hosted worlds is that they will be moddable as well (which is why they wouldn’t be able to connect to the main game universe).

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification @Stretchious!! I could handle that if I wanted to get my own planet and have friends visit. Or have permissions if I would like to let them build there. But still connect to the larger universe to allow people to visit and to visit other cities.

I’ve only put in about 442 hours so far into the game and I think it’s absolutely brilliant … this is the first assimilation I’ve experienced and I have to admit that it’s not very pleasant when you see your pride and joy that you’ve spent ages building and adding to and refining to suddenly be lumped in with someone else’s build who wasn’t even there a month ago … I’ve seen another thread on this forum asking what would put us off from playing Boundless … well I guess I’ve just found out what it is for me

2 Likes

Sorry :frowning: :cry: Me too.

Perhaps I’m being petty but it does seem to make a bit of a mockery of the whole plot system which is supposed to protect the land you claim.

1 Like

Personally, no, I don’t think you’re being petty, and I very much agree with you. I started a thread on it which got a bit out of hand with the varying opinions and attitudes, mine included.

I saw :slight_smile:, ridiculous roads, glad you got yours resolved in the end :slight_smile: …but it’s ridiculous that you had to go down that road in the first place

1 Like

Thank you. It wasn’t resolved, sadly, but there was nothing left to say that would help me. People didn’t want to move their road, so it remains.

My bad, sorry, I thought they would respect someone’s right to enjoy the game rather than just bulldoze over whoever gets in their way … The Developers really need to address this issue before it gets out of hand … just imagine what it would be like when the game goes live … that would definitely be time to leave for me

1 Like

I think for the time being it would be best if everyone gave little thought to their settlement names and stats. Being reminded that the game is still in early stages this is just another burr that needs buffing. Until then I would recommend that everyone focus on the many other amazing aspects of the game and remember.::it could be worse…at least bigger settlements don’t get full control of your plots after consuming them. :yum:

7 Likes