Paint Sand/Cloth Block

Today, people use sand that has been back-lit with gleam to create nice color pops that are otherwise impossible to make.

With the addition of goo farming and pigment, I was really excited to be able to make any color sand imaginable to come up with a lot of really dynamic lighting solutions. However since we can only paint Rock and Wood and their derivatives, that dream has died a little.

My suggestion is to allow painting sand to help open up the possibilities a bit and/or add a cloth block with a subtle, seamless, texture like sand has so we can craft our desired effects without working around an intense texture.

12 Likes

Good idea :+1: & If we could refine sand into sandstone or stucco (to smooth & straighten it up a bit), I think that would be nice.

11 Likes

Idea: add three spray-paintable variants of a decorative cloth block of seamless texture, made with Wheat, Oats or Rice (1 block for each type of grain), with added foliage or wood/sticks to determine the initial tint. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I soooo want way more block types!

Preferably all paintable! 50 blocks per spray can!

Yes, yes, I snuck that in, sue me! :smile:

7 Likes

4 Likes

Oh, I guess I also already kind of suggested this. Minus the painting part.

1 Like

a 2D flat block type could be interesting for textile, glass panes, paper wall, force field…

3 Likes

and as I am on the subject of blocks types and taking a detour from the original topic (sorry), why not add a block type that fills a chiselled block the same way a liquid does, but doesn’t spill and can have any texture ? it already works, it just needs either a machine that turns any block into that other type that can only be placed in the same spot as a chiselled block, or an Alt+Click solution

3 Likes

One note, though.
BY ALL THAT IS SACRED, PLEASE DON’T MAKE NEW BLOCKS WITH BITUMEN / AMBER AS COMPONENTS!

I mean, before the Farming Update was released, I would’ve said “yeah, fine”, but now that I realise how rare petrolim and primordial resin are, I just wish to never have to get more of these blocks for decoration purposes.

So, I totally want way more block types, but with affordable recipes.

4 Likes

Months ago I didn’t see myself making much, or any, marble or mosaic, at all; I do still find the recipes annoying, but it’s something that I do work for, and now I don’t mind that aspect so much. It does reflect itself on how much I use those blocks though. Most of my build still comprises mostly refined rock, after all.

So, I think it would be good if all sorts of recipe complexity blocks were added. Preferably more of the simple ones vs the complex ones, but I do think it’s good if there are a few more complex ones, as long as it’s not the majority.

3 Likes

Well, there’s “complex” and “ridiculously complex”.
Like, if you think about it, marble/mosaic requires super-enriched-bounding-agent, and to me, the worst part of it is just the ancient vital essence.

But imagine a recipe asking for something which is only present at 0.003% on SOME exo-worlds.

1 Like

It’s not so much that it needs those essences, but the recipes for that bonding agent needs a ridiculous amount of them, I mean 2880 ancient?? If you wanna make a bunch of bonding agent you keep running back and forth to where you keep the essences since your inventory is empty in a heartbeat!

1 Like

And I keep having to make batches of ancient essences in my extractor, which takes HOURS to make.

But I still prefer that to the idea of having to buy resin/petrolim to mass-craft some new block. People tend to sell resin at 500c per block of resin. Imagine if you need 36 to make a mass-craft of a new block? I’d hang myself.

Nah, the new block will need 36 compacted petrolim to create 50 of the new blocks! 360 petrolim makes 50 compacted!

:joy:

With this nightmare scenario I’m off to bed! Sweet dreams Gobli! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

giphy%20(39)

1 Like

< devs read this and think >

2 Likes

giphy%20(57)

2 Likes

I think it’d be cool to have a really finely grained block that could be painted. Like maybe cloth weave or fine sand. Even a cloth cover mesh or something

1 Like

Hey, I’m all here for a plastic block too!

Now this… This is lovely.

Incoming glass walkways suspended over the expanses of lava lakes 50 blocks below around Alcyon. :stuck_out_tongue: