Patch Transition - Plot Protection

The more I think about the upcoming patch the more it makes sense that coins/plots would likely be reset as well.

Just wanted to offer a suggestion that perhaps the major cities in some way enter a protected state with a couple of different variations that I think would be viable.

• provide beacons in cities (or all) with 1 week of fueling to allow players to experience the new progression and still reclaim their old creations

• place the city grounds under a special dev forcefield for however long so world regen doesn’t eat them
    (>••)> ~{ DEV POWER }~ <(••<)

Update: dev response

1 Like

I certainly hope they do not. Not only because I have a vested interest but I also think it would be good to keep the large buildings around to test how they are managed without waiting for people to grind back to that point.

4 Likes

I have the same hopes, and I think it is certainly possible that plots remain with players, as they have made clear that there won’t be a hard cap to the number of plots a player can have.

But devs, and some part of me, may feel that this wouldn’t allow players to properly experience and provide feedback on early/mid/late growth and progression rate

That being said, they may also feel that Test Server players provide ample feedback on these systems and that total reset is not necessary.

Also they may be superintelligent beings with a plan beyond any that could be speculated upon by us mere mortals.

1 Like

I believe all existing Beacons will get the full amount of fuel added to them (or close to at least) when we eventually switch testing over to live.

5 Likes

SO when player progress is reset will we keep coins and plots? Or will we have to get them all back

We’re looking at possible options. Will post an update when we get closer to what can be achieved.

1 Like

I say… wipe! 1.0 will wipe our current worlds anyway, so why not wipe now? We cant stick to our current creations, its just early access we are here to help test the game, and help to make it better for 1.0, if it means multiple world wipes, than do it! I want a great 1.0, and dont want to waste the devs time to save our old creations. Make screenshots before it happens, or let us finish our current projects, so make the update happen at the end of June, or whatever. But I say, if its easier for the devs to reset, than do it! Wipe!

5 Likes

I’m sure this will be a topic of much contention in the coming time before the transition to live, but personally don’t think a full wipe would provide enough advantages to be worth it for long-time players. While it would give more of a comprehensive response from the community on the new features, from personal experience there are only so many “full wipes” that an individual’s soul can handle before giving up on the game until full release [see Starbound]

2 Likes

Ofc, but we cant start 1.0 with our early access progression saved, so why not get used to wipes until 1.0? I built a lot too, but im willing to give it up for a better accomplished game. Dont bound to your past creations and progression, I say bound-less. :wink:

1 Like

I would say character reset, but leave plot count intact. Because we have a LOT of builds that use a lot of plots. The only three ways I can think of going from that statement is a wipe, where most of that will end up disappearing,

Plot count is left intact, but characters are reset, tricky to do, but not a bad option,

and the other is a little outrageous, so it’s not gonna happen anyway, so I won’t say it

1 Like

Because I don’t want all of my progress reset st all. My house, Elop Portas, Pixel gate, all of that, that took a long time to get, and we are all prepared for the 1.0 fun times, but yeah, now that this is brought up, I don’t know if character resetting and removing all of those plots is how it should work

Right, but how many wipes do you think you and others could handle before you decide it’s just not worth it to put much time into the game before the final version goes live?

3 Likes

I’m wondering is there any reason to wipe at all? I know that the wipe for 1.0 is coming, but that indeed makes so much sense, since the stage the game will be at that point, will be different from the one we’ve been experiencing.

Currently on the test version we hold the builds done prior and the new “character” that holds no plots or coins to start with. If we were to transition the current test version to live, the builders and people building will have to use the current resources to advance, as they will be limited by skills. Thus making them have to progress in order to continue building their projects. No one will be able to bypass the progression in order to generate their projects. Making everyone offer insight from their own standpoint.

Wiping the maps just generates unnecessary changes to something that is working just fine. “Getting used to wipes” seems unnecessary IMO, everyone is ready to accept the coming 1.0 wipe, but having wipes before it, unless it’s truly necessary, just seems redundant. The test version having builds done by the community, hasn’t stopped them from reporting what’s not working, I don’t see how not wiping the live version when it comes out, will prevent that.

3 Likes

Just to be clear, our current thinking is (until I’m told otherwise):

1. The live Worlds and plots won’t reset when testing goes to live
  2. The current live Characters will remain and they’ll still have their inventory, coins and access to their current plots in the world or worlds
  3. What happens to the current experience and levels are TBD but we might need to reset these (not confirmed yet)

Agreed with the point here. We don’t want to wipe live until 1.0 so players can continue to build and experiment in Boundless without feeling that they’ll always lose what they’ve achieved.

We might need to consider some EA exclusive “Feats” no one else can achieve to reward players for their efforts. But this is just an off the cuff idea. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Sweet thanks for clearing it up, my issue/misunderstanding has been cleared

Portals are one thing that come to mind when thinking about not wiping. Wait till players get to that level after full reset to be able to continue testing them would be counter-productive. Portals are probably single most important feature in Boundless and also bug-vulnerable due to connection issues and such, so they better stay till full 1.0 wipe.

1 Like

@luke-turbulenz Thank you immensely for being willing to share this for the time being, I know I personally had been wondering about what direction the devs were leaning with regard to some of these issues, and this comment alone puts a lot of those questions to rest, even if the answers are that there aren’t any final decisions quite yet.

I’m sure there are still decisions to be made and feedback to be gathered with regard to every one of these things, but knowing what the general feeling is amongst the team is enough of a reassurance to myself and hopefully others that these issues are being considered.

Cheers!

1 Like

Well we already have EA exclusive feat: experience. :blush: