Planning help

So, I have to (finally) buckle down and get my storage system set up. This will be a massive project and I would like to be able to plan it out properly. Is there something that all you uber builders use?

3 Likes

Motivation and pure willpower and dedication :mechanical_arm: without wearing yourself out

The real planning is not to reach chunk limit
So working horizontally to your advantage, don’t limit yourself to hight

2 Likes

I’ve seen people use Excel software and some of these – https://www.megavoxels.com/2019/08/best-voxel-editors.html

3 Likes

For big picture planning, especially this part,

I use graph paper.

For actual design & detail, I just visualize, maybe sketch on paper, and do ‘sketches’/samples in creative mode.

4 Likes

I sometimes have considered the super uber tool… paying @georgegroeg or @Apt to do it for me. lol.

6 Likes

Lol, I tried to wrangle @georgegroeg but he was busy with his own build. And now I am mostly broke so need to do it myself. Lol.

3 Likes

With the mega-tower I’m making, I can tell you that I should’ve spaced things out way more, because mesh-limit can be a butch, if you plan on making storage and crafting stations.

1 Like

In case of tower storage …
… center of storage needs to be on a crossing(lines) of chunks
as @Goblinounours said, to avoid conflicts with the mesh-limit
Happy :boundless: building :boundless:

2 Likes

Speaking of which, I was disappointed in the debug-information we get for chunks, it’s not super clear. But yeah, when planning out a tower, you gotta start by mapping where chunks are.

1 Like

But if I build horizontally then I don’t have to worry about this? I am not entirely sure how chunks work.

Exactly. Mesh-limit is only related to a square of 2x2 plots, full vertical, and counts all the objects you put in there (like machines, powercoils, fences, poles, storage).
So if you build horizontally, you won’t have to worry about it… unless you squeeze 512 objects in each 2x2 squares of plots. :sweat_smile:

The devs didn’t help us when they came up with power-coils, which makes for a total of 28 objets for one fully-powered machine. Could’ve made it so that power-coils are slotted in the UI of a machine like some inventory, that would’ve made things incredibly easier.

3 Likes

Hmm. Okay. Thanks yall!! Think I will go down to like 8 alt and just build out from there.

1 Like

My example of a compact tower-like storage building
… and avoiding the mesh-limit :+1:

1 Like

I use horizontal and vertical for storage. It is not pretty but it works. I use shop stands, storage cubes and chests. But i figured where each mesh/chunk was and shifted my build so that I was able to use them to their maximum efficiency.
Here is level 3 of my place:

2 Likes

If you are PC you can go into the debug area. The chunks aren’t too hard to figure out once you start seeing how the numbers change. If you are on PS find a PC friend. I’m not around tons but I’d have no problem helping you map it out if you want to meet up.

Once you find one of the chunk intersections it is very easy to map it from there. You just mark them ever 2 plots and you can kind of see where stuff needs to go. There is no real issue with a few floors. Where it gets bad is when people have A LOT of floors or are putting a lot of things in that 2x2 plot area for a few floors.

1 Like

Mainly planning center of it all…
Have had several storages over the years and learned splitting up the center of a build over 4 chunks usually save’s me from hitting issues later on with the mesh limit.

One thing to keep in mind is what counts to mesh limit.
If anyone wants to know what counts and what not this is what I usually use to determine mesh items.

Is it when placed a full block?

Yes… not a mesh.

No… likely a mesh go to the next questions. (Some blocks need to be sandwiched between full blocks to see this like a storage block which isn’t a full block)

Can you interact with it?
Yes… its a mesh (chiseling isn’t interacting. Coils can be fixed with a spanner so they can be interacted with)

Is it 3D?
Yes… its mesh
No… it isn’t mesh (grass, crops and plants if you look on top of them and the image looks on top like a X they are 2D an not a mesh)

There are a few exceptions like compact soil which doesn’t look like a “full” block but it is (so not a mesh).
Octagrid/trellis is basically the same as glass blocks (not a mesh) and glass panes where mesh but got tweaked early on and are also not a mesh.
Liquids are not mesh (they work almost the same way as air blocks).
The 2 im not completely sure about are conduit blocks and spark links (if they ar mesh or not [probably been told several times already but forgot again])

I may have forgotten a few exceptions to these but these 3 questions point out most of the mesh blocks.

Anyway to go back to topic all i can say is center your build on 4 chunks for the best outcome with mesh.
On ps4 best way to figure out the chunks is to plot an area of 8x8 and place a block in each corner where you can divide the coordinates North by 16 and East by 16. (looking for full numbers here). Up on doing this you wil have 1 block in each 2x2 area which points out the corner of the chunk.

1 Like

yes if i remember right.

3 Likes

zes sparklings are counting towards the mesh limit. didnt knew this when i build my workshop so now it has half the machines Missing.

2 Likes