Plants and regen

Are there enough plants regenerating?

I’ve spent a lot of time gathering plants, particularly on Besevrona. But lately I’m finding very few plants/mushrooms of any variety.

I know the ghost mushrooms are a pain to get, and I’ve not been targeting them much. That said I normally would encounter at least some with the amount of traveling and gathering I’ve been doing. Even the more basic plants like trumpets and 3 other mushroom varieties seem far less frequent — except maybe for the shadow orb ones which have always been in fairly low numbers.

The shelf mushroom and purple mushrooms used to be very numerous, and have some clusters in grave yards, mushroom forests, and tall foliage stacks, but now appear fewer and more isolated than before the most recent patch.

I’ve done a lot of gathering on Besevrona. I filled my atlas here searching for good areas for gathering plants and mushrooms. Since this latest patch everything has been slower for surface resources. Has anyone else been seeing something similar?

Just went on a little gathering trip, I can’t say if there is less really, I haven’t been that much dedicated to gathering, but I am mostly gathering in one area and I always find some plants in that area so for that area regen does work nicely. It might be that I always go in another direction, can’t really tell.
Just found these beauties in that area

1 Like

I had a graveyard that used to be really good for mushrooms, and the nearby forest had more mushrooms and plants. There were also more plants with vital orbs in the water.

The last couple times I went there it had very few plants, and nothing in the water. I tried harvesting whatever I did find and mining a few blocks to trigger regen, but it hasn’t improved. Maybe I just need to try another area and hope for better results.

1 Like

I don’t mind sharing the location, if you are interested :wink:

1 Like

hahaha I needed some time to figure out there is actually such thing, when I found out I was so thrilled :smiley:

1 Like

I did a bit wider search this time, it seems that you are right, other regions are much less “planted”.

1 Like

That’s interesting, if a little worrisome. I filled in a complete atlas for Besevrona, so I’ve seen a lot of it, and for the most part there were at least some plants almost everywhere. Even glaciers had a lot of certain mushrooms on them, and the ash had the glowing rock stalagmites.

But now it feels mostly depleted. I’ll check some of my other waypoints to see if I can find better harvesting areas.

Thanks for checking, I appreciate the help!

1 Like

Atlas doesn’t reflect a current situation. And if a swarm of locusts (read guild members :slight_smile: has been through the region a bit before, the Atlas will happily tell you there’s stuff there that’s long gone.

Surface resources wont regen if a block hasnt been broken(trunk, soil, foliage, etc) So, if “a swarm of locusts” passed through and didnt break anything but plants and mushrooms, then no regen…unfortunately. I noticed the same thing on Alcyon. The first time i went there were Thousands of Oortian staffs and the spike cactus things, now i search for days and find 1 maybe 2.

yeah, some kinda of funnel fungus, they drop vital orbs and reactive lamella.

Looking around, some of my more distant harvesting grounds are more plentiful, which is helpful, but there are a lot of barren spots that I had marked as full of plants before.

I guess the plants move around a bit and don’t stay in the same clusters forever. At least I can run around indefinitely.

I’m unsure if this is true, since I have a little area of desert swords near me, and I just harvest those with my axe and they seem to regrow perfectly fine without me breaking any blocks. It could very well be that someone else is breaking blocks there that make them respawn, I can neither confirm nor deny that :slight_smile:

I got that info directly from a dev on a similar post. :wink:
It has to do with whats broken within a “chunk”, which iirc is 2 plots or 16m square, from mantle to ceiling.

Ah! So if anything in the chunks is broken, it will auto generate? Because that would definitely explain why my patches regrew without me breaking the blocks under the flowers.

Any block like soil, rock, or trunks and foliage will initiate regeneration. Not surface resources like mushrooms and desert swords or boulders.
Edit: @lucadeltodecso maybe you could explain it better?

Found it! @Splutty [quote=“lucadeltodecso, post:2, topic:15694”]
‘only’ gather surface resources and never place or modify other blocks, then a current issue is that this wont trigger regeneration of the chunk (as nothing has changed to be regenerated) which also means resource regeneration which occurs as a result of regeneration wont trigger
[/quote]
Edit: that is from the besevrona surface resources thread. If you want to read the whole post they do explain it more like the chunk deal and whatnot

So you should break a block afterwards whenever you dig something out?

1 Like

Exactly. This will trigger regen counter and at some point stuff will regenerate.

If you won’t do that and you are gathering in a place where no miner will ever come, than tough luck, it can take undefined amount of time until finally regen occurs.

I bet there are spots on land which has never regenerated :stuck_out_tongue: without surface resources.

Imma go break a bunch of blocks around ny place. :slight_smile:

Incidentally the graveyard I was breaking blocks in yesterday was teeming with mushrooms again today.

I had previously believed regeneration was working properly, because I was finding resources in abundance far from the portal hubs, and would also find some in high traffic areas. But it now seems possible that I only found resources in distant places because hey had never been harvested, and the ones I found close to portals were the only regenerated resources.

It seems like a sub-optimal algorithm if players need to make special accommodations to make it work as intended…

1 Like

What do you guys mean by “graveyard?”