Player Typing Indicator

So, I believe I’ve seen this mentioned before but feel it needs a topic of its own.

We really need an indicator to show when another player is typing. In game conversations feel so awkward because you can literally both be standing there, waiting, thinking the other person is typing.

Another case is when you don’t know if another player is AFK or not. You try talking to them and don’t know how long to wait for a response because they could be typing super slow or they could be AFK.

Some kind of indicator above a characters head when they are typing would be fantastic.

15 Likes

Totally agree, I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve paused for a response then left thinking the convo was over only to have them say something as I’m walking away.

4 Likes

The worst part is when you quickly grapple away or walk through a portal and you never get to see the message they sent cause you thought they were afk.

5 Likes

People say “but how would the game know”
If a text box is selected, put a “typing” indicator

1 Like

Just a ps4 icon would do… if you see it you know youre not getting a reply this week

6 Likes

I think for those of us on PS4, it shows our ‘online id’ below our character name while for those on Steam, it doesn’t. So that’s a good way to know at a glance.

1 Like

Apparently PC people don’t see that, only PS4 do?

1 Like

This would be very helpful yes! The many times I’ve waited wondering if someone was gonna reply back or not are numerous! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh nooos. Sorry for the misinformation.

1 Like

I’ve had a few times where people have walked off on me while I was typing something while on PS4… :joy: Would definitely be helpful, I’ve probably walked off on others too, quick as I jump around.

1 Like

this would be very useful for oort on oort interaction.
I can then also pretend to be typing for 5 minutes while my fellow oort waits patiently but then just type “no” and creep away slowly.
I’m a bad person.
but in all seriousness, this would be an awesome feature along with a whole reworking of the messaging system.

but devs say
tenor

no.

2 Likes