Please bring in an “Auto Harvest” Boon

So. After indulging into a fair amount of farming, I think we can all agree, it’s very time consuming.

An Auto Harvest boon which is forgable onto an item would be amazing!! It would Auto Harvest any crop that was ready to be harvested!

4 Likes

While i get what you mean i think this is again just another quality of life thing. Meaning you dont actually need it.

This has became a trend… something that is time consuming people are always trying to force devs to make these “shortcut” changes wich is pretty funny.

I mean people first suggest these… after a month people are crying how theres nothing to do.

2 Likes

It is more the fact it’s frustrating dodging crops that aren’t complete. Crops grow at different times, often with a lot incomplete.

3 Likes

I’m not sure this is something I want. I have a large farm and I might only want to harvest one crop type at a time. A tool like that would be pretty indiscriminate.

I’m also worried that making farming too easy is going to flood the food market even earlier.

6 Likes

While i see what you mean i also know this becomes a problem for those who have actually BIG farms… i would say its pretty much handful of people who go that big on farming.

I like the idea of harvesting faster, but I feel like a way to harvest more inventively without it being as simple as running over it with an auto harvester.

The first thing I did was test how lava interacted with crops… It gets rid of them when its on the black next to them. What would be cool is if lava made the destroyed block/crop pop off (lootable) but then if it hits the lava, it gets destroyed. I’m sure there is something about this idea that would be a server nightmare, but I haven’t thought about that stuff.

This would open up some design ideas of harvesting with the lava whilst not making it super easy and therefore flooding the market.

You make a valid point with dodging crops, especially having to dodge lava with the combustion fraction farms.

I agree fully with @Stretchious and @Buugi, but I’m still going to give your idea, an idea;

It would have to only work inside plotted areas, or gathering in the outside world would get a bit interesting if everyone ran around with crop lootsticks looking for exo yam bulbs.

3 Likes

I think the main thing that made me come to this idea was harvesting goo. It is a real pain in the ass.

But I totally agree, they should only work in your plotted area

1 Like

Hahaha yeah goo is kinda interesting to harvest. I end up missing the plant too much and take the gleam with it haha!

1 Like

i had a similar idea but with bombs… sadly crops aren’t affected… at least not till the blocks are destroyed… which defeats the idea behind it ><

Edit: An auto harvest boon would be cool… but what’s next? auto planting boon… or an aoe tilling and planting boon??? the main limiting factor on farming is the time the player is willing to put into it… take that away and it’s just toooo easy and the products become worthless.

4 Likes

Hahah that’s so weird, that’s the exact same thing I tested this morning. I even tested dropping the bomb on protection at different heights. Thought I figured it or but it was just the block destroying lol

I’ll let you know if I figure anything else out :fist:

Edit: yeh I agree, I think when people ask for an easier way to do something, they just want a more interesting way of doing something? But I agree on the point of you should be rewarded for putting in the time harvesting each crop individually. Maybe if you harvest the crop with an auto tool you’ll only get the crop and no chance of seeds? But I’d rather not an auto harvester tool tbh

1 Like

Use a regular totem. I learnt the hard way too, ended up with lava everywhere :joy:

I use an axe, it does minimal damage to blocks but get the crop.

1 Like

Aoe harvesting boon!

lol i had the same thoughts… i have an aoe topaz axe for this… thought it’s rather worthless if you like to cherry pick ripe crops… though it’s great if you are willing to wait for the whole/most of the crop to be ripen before harvesting.

2 Likes

I just use a basic totem. Takes more time, naturally, but that’s the only cost involved in the process.

In the other hand, I always hold a tiller for those occasions when the soil reverts to being untilled.

1 Like

I just wait for everything to reach maturity. I do not want to have to work around the ones that have not matured. I figure if I wait over night and the ones that should have matured in 9 hours or less have not matured they may never mature or it is not worth the time to wait longer. Just harvest and try again.

1 Like

I harvest with an AOE hammer.

I hate how sporadically the goo grows. It’s so inconsistent compared to say Yams.

1 Like

It seems the items with the longest maturity we notice it more. If something matures in 3 hours and it has 6 stages then it tries to advance every 30 minutes so there are more chances for it to mature in a day. If something takes 3 days to mature and has 6 stages then it only tries to advance once every 12 hours. So if it misses a growth stage then it is 12 hours behind every other crop. I am not entirely sure this is how it really works, but this is what it looks like to me. I notice it a lot with my Kranuts since they are close to my yams.

3 Likes