Please define "Grind" and your game play challenge around it

Oh dont take me as an example. Please.
And no one said anything About decent either lol.
I see new builds spring up now and then which took less then a week from start to finish. Some are pratical and some are Art.
As i said, a new Player, with not much time at his/her/it Hands Needs proper Research of game mechanics if they want to go “hardcore”. I played with a guy for some months who only had like 3 Hours a day max and he build one of the best Castles i have seen so far in 4 months time. No help from me other then the occasional mining.
Boundless, like all games one Plays, Needs dedication. And if it is only 1 hour per week. If one is determined you can do great Things.

Actually saying decent is not a good term for me to have used as that is really up to the individual as far as what they see as decent. But how long should a player have to grind in order to build a 300 plot build?

But my fear in all this is that the game is not attracting and keeping enough players and some people making comparisons to other games and saying the grind is not as bad does not mean for this style of game that it may not be too much. The players left playing are the ones that in large part do not have problems with the level of grind since they are still playing. So are we really the right people to ask? Why did we not keep more of the players from the free weekend?

(probably off topic)

2 Likes

Grind can be very fun and addictive.
When you combine easy players grouping with very linear gameplay progression.
The best recipe come from Korean mmos who mastered the art: You keep the players focused on pure non-stop action, pushing them to polish their teamplay to the max for months. And by keeping everything else very simple and straightforward.

It feel really good because you just focus on teamplay (and having fun with friends/teammates) and progression happen anyway.

Boundless doesn’t contain this sadly.
On side “A” you have a mobile gacha game (gathering/crafting = summoning)
This is where you grind (solo most of the time)

On side “B” you have a minecraft mod. Amazing stuff, everyone agree on this.

and between them some alien economy/politic/plot system nobody is happy about since +4 years.

My real life job is a hard, physically abusive grind. But seeing the houses we build finished, gives such an amazing sense of accomplishment. Knowing that my sweat and blood went into building these places, makes it worth it in the end. Same with boundless!

That…is grinding.

8 Likes

coudnt express this better :slight_smile: this game is and is not at the same time grindy. It all depends on ur mood. But i have to agree with @Creegle about the hunting. it is kind of boring at some point. ( posible solve for this - TITANS ! :slight_smile: )

1 Like

really nice house O_O

1 Like

Hence why/how I know lots and lots of effort has gone into it. I look at it this way - if anyone can do it, it’s not that impressive. If no one else can match the effort, then kudos to that person. But we all play differently.

I agree we are all going to value things differently. I am not worried that “anyone can do it”. It is a game and since there is no winning, I am not sure it matters if every player with the same skills and at the same level can do the same things. The materials in and of themselves do not always indicate effort. As an example a cube of marble does not take the time or the skills that a chiseled build out of a variety of materials can. In addition since the materials can be bought, does that mean that a players necessarily spent effort gathering and crafting marble or that they have a good source of footfall and spent it on the materials?

Well, naturally no. But I am not gonna start arguing opinions :sweat_smile: gets us nowhere. But I just think some blocks should be harder to obtain than others, I understand it might suck cause it happens to be a block you want but that’s how it sometimes is.

But marble isn’t hard to obtain. No ingredient in it is hard to get. It’s just very time consuming. And the output doesn’t really seem enough for the amount of mats used/time taken

Yep. These are my only outstanding issues regarding the grind. And actually, if the gem collection & repair processes were fixed, I wouldn’t have an issue with initially crafting the coils.

The tedium in harvesting emeralds & amethysts makes them far and away the biggest, grindiest offenders in the game in my opinion. I’m probably just a bad miner, but it’s so frustrating that I’d rather buy them at astronomical rates if I really need them. And that’s an expensive habit, so I mostly just have to go without. It makes no sense because to me, they aren’t inherently better gems. They just serve different purposes.

I will say that in general, Boundless does a very good job at justifying the grind. You’re typically well rewarded for working hard for something.

So in summary it looks like we have the following list of items probably prioritized in this order…

1. Portal Costs (need to be able to pay for longer periods of time, and probably reduce overall cost)
  2. Repairing Machines (Machine repair needs to be tied all to the core machine, like spark).
  3. Harvesting Emeralds (Significantly increased drop rate, or significantly reduced lava rate).
  4. Crafting Coils (may be fixed by fixing emerald harvesting, as the reward for coils is actually pretty significant).

For emeralds I would suggest that it is simply a matter of increasing the harvest rate enough to make actually farming through lava worthwhile. Right now the drop rate is so low given the amount of lava, that the reward just isn’t worth the hassle. Maybe try increasing it to something like 4% to start with and see if that’s enough to counter the massive amounts of lava.

Shedu Tier = 4% (emerald)
Norkyana = 3% (amethyst)
Besverona = 1% (emerald/amethyst)

Hopefully that will be enough of an increase to make harvesting emeralds close to what it is for the other gems.

1 Like

The new solidify liquid forge that’s coming in the next update should help with the lava when mining.

1 Like

Especially with a 3x3! that is just simply awesome! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah they would be great as an off hand light, loot magnet, lava stopping tool :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Don’t forget the sinking feeling quirk

Lol yeah but I thought you could only have 3 boons on a tool

Quirk isn’t a boon tho

Ah yes of course, you can tell I don’t really do any forging :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No worries. I don’t know how to forge with quirks lol.

1 Like